Skip to content

[IWD:EE] Debloat HoW quest exp and add scribing and lockpick/disarm exp

bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
edited November 2014 in Feature Requests
instead of ludicrous rewards of several hundred thousand in HoW, some of which are for mundane quests and which you can reach at a fairly early level making you swoop through levels like it's nothing, add spell scribing and thieving actions exp rewards.

they can be small but added all together enough to compensate for reduced HoW quest exp.

edit: does finishing totl have an xp reward? i can't remember now even tho i've done it a week ago. i think it doesn't. it should.

Comments

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    I would argue against experience for scroll learning or lock picking. I found those dreadful in BG2 (you could earn a few levels just by scribing and erasing spells and picking random locks without actually stealing anything). This is IWD, it should focus on gameplay and combat not on easy XP rewards.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I always thought scribing and thieving should only give their XP rewards to the character doing the scribing or thieving. It always seemed strange to me that my wizard spent three hours painstakingly scribing Fireball into his spellbook, and Jaheira gained a level.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i felt the same until i came to the conclusion that xp distribution is one big abstraction and that it's simply the party that gets xp for whatever not an individual character

@Redrake‌
    i'm actually arguing against too-easy quest xp gains. those absurdly huge ones in how.
    even if only mages and thieves were to receive their individual xp rewards for these actions it would still be good.
    they would accumulate more experience but that would even them out a bit with the domineering warrior classes and the sorcerer.

also, not getting experience for traps makes me not bother disarming them. i just run hasted over them, they aren't that bad except for poison (i have many memorized 'neutralize poison' spells for this reason)
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    bob_veng said:

also, not getting experience for traps makes me not bother disarming them. i just run hasted over them, they aren't that bad except for poison (i have many memorized 'neutralize poison' spells for this reason)

For me, that's an argument against disarm xp. If you can deal with traps, without disarming them, than that should be fine. Why add an artificial incentive to disarm them anyway, when there is no real reason to do so?
    there's truth to that as well, but how it is now i feel i'm missing some of the game's content by not caring too much about traps when they should, in theory, be something you can not not-care about.