Skip to content

Maximum HP Creatures and Improved THAC0

I've just bought Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition and am excited to play. I don't want to mod the game but I came across a tweak at gibberlings3.net (isn't this where some of the additions for Enhanced Edition came from?) and have an additional suggestion that I think, together, would make awesome additional features.
I wasn't aware that different instances of any given unit have different HP totals. This being the case (from what I gather?), the tweak "Maximum HP Creatures (the bigg)" is a nice outline for increasing the HP of ALL creatures in the game to their hypothetical maximum. So they'd all get an increase, but not to extent found in the Heart of Furry mode. Creatures would get either a hit point total based on maximum hit dice rolls appropriate to their level, or their current hit point total--whichever is higher. The second feature that would be neat to see, which is already present in Heart of Furry mode, is an increase to the THAC0 of all creatures.
It would be great to be able to flip both of these features on and off individually as we can the "Maximum HP On Level Up" option for our characters. These two additional features would allow players to more finely tune the difficulty at which they would like to play.
Your thoughts?

Comments

• MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    Just wait for "complete" NIGHTMARE feature realization.
  • PumpernickelPumpernickel Member Posts: 55
    @Maxxximus‌

What is that?
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    elminster said:

'Game Options', 'Nightmare Mode', '0',

Activates a Heart of Winter styled mode for the game (0 means its not active, 1 means it is). I don't know if it is exactly a copy of Heart of Fury from Icewind Dale, but I do know I just did probably around 300 damage to Illasera before she was killed (and in normal BG2 she has only 98 health). Also when I did finally kill her I got 21,000xp instead of her usual 10,000. Default setting is 0.

Edit: Apparently Nightmare Mode is untested and also benefits your joinable NPC's. Still might be an option for soloers.

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Maxxximus said:

Just wait for "complete" NIGHTMARE feature realization.

From what I understand, Nightmare mode is along the same lines as Heart of Fury mode. Heart of Fury is quite different than the Maximum HP Creatures mod, and is also different than just increasing opponents' THAC0. Also, seeing as how the OP is talking about IWD:EE, why would they use Nightmare mode when they could just activate Heart of Fury mode?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Nightmare mode is just Heart of Fury mode. They are one in the same. So since OP doesn't want Heart of Fury mode it isn't an option.