Skip to content

SoD won't launch on Mac

DeverothDeveroth Member Posts: 28
i just wrapped up my most recent playthrough of BGEE tonight and bought and downloaded SoD.
the installation seemed to go alright? i didn't get any error messages or anything. the launcher opens fine, but when i click "Launch" (which, with this game's new color scheme, looks greyed out actually), the launcher closes and nothing happens.
with BGEE the launcher would close and the actual game would open right after.
whats the deal? has anyone else had this issue with mac?

Comments

• DeverothDeveroth Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2016
    by the way, the update bar goes all the way across and reaches the end and says Up to date, so i'm not trying to launch the game before it's updated.
    still doesn't work.
    EDIT

also, this:
    digging through files, i wound up at: Mac HD>Apps>BGSoD>Game Data>00806
    there's an icon for Baldurs gate enhanced edition, but it has a white circle with a line through it over the icon. when i click it to open it, i get an error message saying "You can’t open the application “Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."
    wtf does that mean? i can still launch BGEE normally; like i said i just beat it tonight. wtf is going on? and do you guys do refunds if this garbage doesn't sort itself out?
    anybody?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Rename the app in the game data folder - just add an x to the end or something - and it will work.

We'll be getting out an update to the launcher that should fix this in the near future.
    really? such a random-sounding solution. is this a known problem?

by "rename the app", do you mean the BGEE app icon in the file named "00806"? or something else that I missed?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Short answer: yes, that's all you need to do. Yes, the BG:EE app icon in the 00806 folder.

Long answer: on a Mac, an application isn't a file, it is a directory that can contain multiple other files and directories. Because the launcher is downloading pieces of files (using the Bittorrent protocol) and assembling the app bit by bit, there is the possibility that spotlight will jump in and start indexing the app and its contents. If it does this while the app is still downloading, spotlight will helpfully jump in and flag the app as being invalid or as a PowerPC app. Renaming the app forces spotlight to re-index the complete app, and voila! it works.

As I mentioned, there is a new Launcher in test that should prevent this issue.
    edited May 2016
    that is strange, but I'm glad it's a known issue you guys are working on!
    can't wait to try this out when I get home this evening. I've been super looking forward to this game and you can imagine my disappointment after beating BG1 again and then it not launching.
    thanks!
    I'll comment again if this doesn't work.