Skip to content

ETA for next patch?

EketEket Member Posts: 69
Been keeping track of forums and Trent's Twitter but other than a lot of patches having to be resubmitted, there hasn't been any "good" news.

Can we get an ETA on the next ipad patch and which of the ipad specific problems we can expect fixed, because right now i find it unplayable...

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Looks like we won't get it until after the holidays. ;(
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Good news is that it'll be the latest build, 2012.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Coming soon...
  • Great_PalinGreat_Palin Member Posts: 8
    Has there been any patch for the ipad yet? I've been checking itunes, but have seen no update for BGee.

And yes, IMO, unplayable currently.
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    No patch just yet. Should be soon though according to the tweets. Well as long as the testing goes ok. It's hardly unplayable. I'm looking forward to some of the changes in the patch but I've been playing along just fine so far.
    The App store is now closed for the holidays, so if it missed the deadline....which I think it did, we won't see it until the 28th at the earliest.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    More importantly, will multiplayer compatability get more flexible so that when the game goes through 3 updates before the App store catches up will you be able to run iPad/PC games when the version numbers aren't identical?
  • EketEket Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2012
    They missed the deadline. We won't be seeing the patch this year. The performance and UI problems are what make it unplayable for me. It also crashed on me once, which is probably memory related...
  • YoYoYoYo Member Posts: 71
    SAD NEWS :-(
  • ChernobylChernobyl Member Posts: 1
    I really hope they aren't purposefully delaying ipad updates so they can release it on all platforms at the same time... As someone who will never play multiplayer, its a bit disconcerting if that's the case.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @Chernobyl if anything it would be the PC patches which would get delayed.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Chernobyl said:

I really hope they aren't purposefully delaying ipad updates so they can release it on all platforms at the same time... As someone who will never play multiplayer, its a bit disconcerting if that's the case.

Nah they're not. It needs app store approval before the patch goes live. They've already done all the hard yards!

Admittedly I haven't purchased a copy for my iPad yet because I'm waiting for this patch to address some of the big issues
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Elzarath said:

Chernobyl said:

Nah they're not. It needs app store approval before the patch goes live. They've already done all the hard yards!

Admittedly I haven't purchased a copy for my iPad yet because I'm waiting for this patch to address some of the big issues

Agreed. If they were going to delay one platform to keep the multiplayer functional, it would be PC.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I wish they get the patch sooner. Ipad version is very inferior to pc now, especially with the random spawn bug. :( they solved it on pc like what, two weeks ago?
    edited December 2012
    The problem, Lunar, is priorities. There are alot of things that need fixed which are important to different people:

1) The App doesn't work on iOS 5, this keeps everyone who's not upgraded to iOS 6.x (for whatever reason) from buying the app. This is important because it's more revenue for the development company.

2) There are the bugs for those of us who currently have the game.

3) There are the iPad 1 users who are still unable to play the game.

This isn't the PC version, you can't patch a file and release a new download of a DLL once or twice a week. There's the app store approval process, which takes a LONG time to get through and, at least it seems to be, it requires some pretty good code to pass. THEN there's the download of the entire app all over again for every patch they'll be doing (and the space requirements to do it) that become problematic for some people. Just because I've got a 40+Mbps connection to the internet at my house doesn't mean everyone does...and 1.8GB of data just takes a HELL of a long time to download...doing that even a couple times in a month is a BIG DEAL for many people.

When they're patching up the game, they're being required to get A LOT of stuff done and then roll it all up to Apple to verify which takes a significant amount of time...much more than rebuilding the app and releasing the 3 files for a patcher somewhere to download over the net like in the PC version.

The Apple App Store Freeze for XMas didn't help the process at all.

In this, it's important to put the blame where the blame is due...the slow patch release for the first update to the iPad version isn't a Beamdog problem...it's an Apple problem.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Illydth said:

THEN there's the download of the entire app all over again for every patch

That's not yet confirmed.
    Agreed. I stand "corrected" On this point.
  • akuraakura Member Posts: 3
    iKrivetko said:

Illydth said:

unlike apps like map which can just download minor document to upgrade, game app has to download the entire app, as far as i know

there hasnt been an update for ipad edition since release, I hope it would release by the end of year
  • nightofgrimnightofgrim Member Posts: 7
    iKrivetko said:

Illydth said:

That's the way Apple works with the App store. The only exceptions are apps that are hybrid web apps or apps that pull data live from a server to be displayed to the end user (even then only some content can be updated live). Baldur's Gate is neither of these and will require a full download for each update.
    That is wrong at least for two games that I own (GTAVC and Bard's Tale)
    I don't see why BGEE has to be different.
  • CharaxCharax Member Posts: 4

Has there been any patch for the ipad yet? I've been checking itunes, but have seen no update for BGee.

And yes, IMO, unplayable currently.

Why do you say it is unplayable? I've happily cleared the Mines of Nashkel, and some surrounding zones without issue.

I am glad I bought this two days go and didn't listen to the whines on this forum because this is very polished already from what I have experienced.
    I'm well into the game now far past the mines. Besides a few minor inconveniences, that I've learned to live with, and a a few crashes, I haven't had any problems that made it feel remotely unplayable. I think most people saying that have played the PC version and have a different set of expectations for the game.
  • nightofgrimnightofgrim Member Posts: 7
    iKrivetko said:

How do updates work on these? Are they through the App store or in the game?

iKrivetko said:

How do updates work on these? Are they through the App store or in the game?

Via App Store.
  • solidus0079solidus0079 Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2012
    Yeah it's very playable, at least on an iPad 2 (which is what I have). Sure there's some crashes and glitches, sometimes a performance drop, but those are easily dealt with by saving and a little bit of patience. It's just minor problems, really. I'm near the end of the main campaign myself, and loved every minute.

Avoiding most crashes has been easy in my opinion, if you start seeing blank black box shaped areas in the main play window, save the game right away. Then force quit the app then reload because it's about to crash. I'm guessing it's a memory leak.

All that being said, I am looking forward to their future improvements - because hey, the game deserves all the love.
    edited December 2012
    One should have very low standards to call those issues minor, though I won't deny that the game is quite playable, unless one heavily relies on spells like cloudkill, entangle and other fps killers.
  • solidus0079solidus0079 Member Posts: 60
    Yeah, that's a good point. I forgot about those spells. I guess I wrote them off and then it's been out of sight/out of mind since. Plus with the new party members, I'm using a slightly different class mixup than usual and don't have Jahiera for entangles.
    I seriously doubt that BGII or TOB will work on an iPad 1!
    Unless they can figure out the memory issue I doubt they'll even get BGEE to work on the Ipad 1. I'm having memory crashes even on the Ipad 3. At least I'm assuming that's what keeps causing it. If I play for a long time the game will inevitably crash when I enter a new zone or attempt to save. It never happens if I close the game down and restart it once in a while.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I had lots of crashes until I realised that I had never actually closed out of a program ever (by double-tapping the home button and then closing the programs manually). Once I shut down most of the 40+ apps I had running I haven't had any trouble with it!