Skip to content

ETA for next patch?

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Nathan Just a question. Has the Mac version been submitted?
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    mlnevese said:

@Nathan Just a question. Has the Mac version been submitted?

Not yet.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    So it's great news that the next ipad patch will be huge. I just hope it does not bug the customisation of the game on ipad (custom portraits work with some workaround) custom portrait-sounds are the most important things for me. Oh and if the patch also fixes slowdowns created by spells (cloud spells are not usable as it is) that would be perfect.

Is the patch on apple store approval trial thingie? How many days left? One week? ...two?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    It usually takes under a week to pass the App Store approval, and, according to Trent, the patch will be submitted in a matter of days. The best case scenario is about a week, but I'd bet on ten days to two weeks.
  • BomburBombur Member Posts: 7
    Great news Nathan! Thank you for the update.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Anyone have a place I can go to to verify what's been released so far in "Patch Notes" so we can get an idea of what is due to be fixed in the "Known Issues" thread.

I'd like to pre-tag each of the things there that are known to be included in the thread and then have a "tested/passed" tag I can apply once the patch comes out.

So, where are patch notes being posted? (I tend to live in the iPad forum).
  • famousringofamousringo Member Posts: 28
    I know we're getting cross-platform multiplayer, iPad 1 and iOS 5.1 support, and the smart radius feature for tapping small targets, but are there any further iPad optimizations expected? A fix for spell effect slowdowns, perhaps?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    New Tweet from Trent Oster:
    "We're uploading the new 2012 build to the iTunes App Store with 5.1 support. The iPad 1 is at the memory limit. We really suggest an iPad 2"
  • sharpiejassharpiejas Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know if we will have to start new games for the changes to take effect?
    In most cases, no. Generally you only need to start a new game if the bug fix requires that the character or area be respawned. In this case however, there is some new content that you might not see if you load an old save game.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Will we have to re-download the WHOLE app, or just the update?...
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    I would say the whole app. Maybe Trent and team could push updates in the form of in-app-purchases or something for smaller updates.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    @Space_hamster It's possible it'll be only the update. Bard's Tale is almost as big as BG and the updates are quite small.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • BomburBombur Member Posts: 7
    Yes I've certainly had updates from appstore which were a lot quicker to download than the main app.
  • ReignmakerReignmaker Member Posts: 15
    Illydth said:

I'm sorry, but did you just refer to the legitimate concerns of your customers as "accusations and other flamebait?"

No doubt developer feelings get hurt when stuff like this goes down and customers rant about s***. I can understand that. But you know what? The customer got hurt first - for assuming the product being sold actually worked properly. :/
    The customer got hurt first? Is that really your justification for those treating these folks poorly? Look at the first post after Nathan's information...was that "Thanks for the response?" Look at the rest of the responses to Nathan, how many of those are "Thanks for the response!"

Communication is a two way street. If you want proper communication with anyone, be it business or personal, you need to make yourself open to that communication. Addressing "Here's what's going on" with a big ol' "SCREW YOU!" back doesn't lend you to being communicated with again. I've been posting this SAME message since the day this software was released, needling everyone with "Coming Soon" everywhere I can, and STILL almost the only thing I see in response to an ASKED FOR UPDATE on the forums is complaints.

The devs and whatever is passing for PR staff at Beamdog/Overhaul have been roundly abused by the general populous since they released this software (and even before that with the push of the release date). Yet in the same breath these same people will post "Why aren't you communicating with us!"

These people are human too, and the vast majority of what I've been reading and responding to DAILY on these boards have boiled down to little more than unhappy people thinking they're entitled to perfection simply because they've spent $10. *I* have a very very poor opinion of a large segment of the population on these boards and *I* only deal with those of you on the iPad forums. I can't imagine how depressing and down right annoying and obnoxious it would be to have to look through and read all the pissing and moaning on ALL of the forums.

It has NEVER ceased to amaze me that people seem to think once you've pulled loose change from your pocket and paid for something with it that they now OWN YOU.

Your patch will be done when it's done. @Nathan was nice enough to come here and give you an update like you asked him to. Everything you needed to know in life you learned in kindergarten...thank the man for his time and allow him to get back to the work you WANT him doing...making your patch for you.

You want better communication, start by BEING NICE and NOT yelling at the devs every time they show their faces on public communication.

More flies with honey than vinegar and all that.

Were I in charge of Beamdog at this point, a development company that explicitly started this endeavor because they loved the BG game and wanted to bring it back...I'd be SERIOUSLY considering whether this little venture is even WORTH CONTINUING. Not because its not making money...but because NO amount of money is worth having to deal with this kind of crap.
    All I'm saying is that people have the right to be pissed off. I recognize that the developers are people and get hurt feelings. That was kind of the point of my post. But Beamdog also made close to $20 off a lot of people in a market where $1-$5 is the norm. Granted the project here is much more ambitious, but there are quality games like Bastion and Ravensword which could arguably command similar price points. Both are sold for much less and currently offer more polished experiences.

If you would seriously close up shop just because you received some mean-spirited feedback, let me suggest that you stay away from business entirely. Especially if you think that doing that would be morally justified after ripping off your customers.

I know that they've been communicating and from what I've gathered, they're trying hard with the little resources they appear to have. But they also have my money. And I'm left with this uninstalled program which will hopefully be patched someday. People will cry. People will complain. That's what happens when expectations aren't met. If you take it personally and don't look for ways to improve, you have no business being in business.

• solidus0079solidus0079 Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2013
    IDK. I see both sides of it. Not that I'm condoning foul language or whatever. Just the dissapointment angle and the patience angle. I love BG, always have. It's one of the greatest games ever and I'm thrilled it's living on in some way. Especially on my favorite gadget. That's just amazing to me.

What's disappointing is that it's been forever and no patches visible to anyone. Not even a minor one. A lot of the target market for this product just look at iTunes for application patches, not everyone's gonna trawl through a fairly complicated forum and scroll through Twitters for an afternoon looking for a sign of support. The game probably looks DOA for a lot of people. That's not gonna help Trent or his guys.

I know it takes a while to go through Apple's approval, but come on. It's not that hard to upload a couple gigs to Apple at least once a month to at least make some small progress everyone who bought it will see thanks to that bright red "1" that appears on the App Store icon, to let them know something minor is fixed and more is on the way. That's what you gotta do to stay relevant on the App Store. Hopefully they've learned a few things, I know a lot of this comes from possibly biting off more they can chew by releasing on multiple plaforms, etc, but yeah...
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Dude, the game's only been out on iPad for just over a month, and Overhaul was on X-Mas break for at least a week of it. The only reason it seems so far behind is because they've managed to pump out like 4000 patches an hour.
  • solidus0079solidus0079 Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2013
    A month's a pretty long time on the App Store. You and I only know about the "4000 patches an hour" because we're following this here and on Twitter. You'd think at least one of those could have been tossed to the App Store, I think that would have calmed some people down a little. It's clear to people like you and I they are working hard. That's all I am saying.
    A month is a long time on the App Store when the App Store & the game dev isn't shut down for 2 weeks. I think the Holiday is making this feel worse than it is.

3 days to go...
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    Tossing out one half baked patch wouldn't have solved anything. People would have complained even worse if they did that. People will complain even after the patch so they can't really win in that regard. It's coming and when it does all this complaining will have just been wasted time. It isn't speeding anything up or accomplishing anything. The work has been done and the patch submitted. It's pointless to continue complaining now.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I just got an ipad4... Should I continue play on PC or play on ipad... Advisement would be handy... Have they implemented that cloud?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    No cloud saves yet.
  • famousringofamousringo Member Posts: 28
    Anduin said:

I just got an ipad4... Should I continue play on PC or play on ipad... Advisement would be handy... Have they implemented that cloud?

My advice, go look at the iPad bugs and issues thread and decide if you can live with those issues (keeping in mind that some of them will go away when build 2012 comes to iPad). Some of us find it perfectly playable, others do not.

Then decide if you'd rather play with the input devices that the original creators designed the game for, or if you'd rather enjoy the mobility of a tablet.
    edited January 2013

Dude, the game's only been out on iPad for just over a month, and Overhaul was on X-Mas break for at least a week of it. The only reason it seems so far behind is because they've managed to pump out like 4000 patches an hour.

It's not like the competition has been quiet with their updates and releases.

Anduin said:

Stick to the PC. The iPad version feels like it's still in Beta.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    @Anduin I'm in the exact same position as you, got a new iPad but unsure about buying this yet. I'm going to wait til the patch is released and see how that's received by the community before deciding to buy or not.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You could also always buy it and then wait to play it; that way you can install the app and just get the patches, which will be comparatively faster than downloading it right before you want to play.

Then again, I may or may not be biased. :)
  • kaehlkaehl Member Posts: 12
    @solidus0079
    That's basically what I've benn trying to say about two pages earlier. There are some basic rules and standards on how you treat a virtual customer these days. A month of dead silence, and just after release, didn't seem right to me. That said, I'm happy to see an improvement in the communication department with recent developers' posts in this thread. Keep it up guys and, of course, happy coding :)

• Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    They never were dead silent. Some of you just feel like you have to have an update every other day. They made postings on Twitter which were passed on here. We all knew what was going on. If there's nothing further to report why do they have to keep popping in here to say so simply to appease the impatience of a few people? Once there was an update on the progress of the patch they came and told us. Now we've been updated and you guys are still whining. Why?