Skip to content

Strategies to deal with Aec'Letec [Spoilers]

The user and all related content has been deleted.
1.png 1.1M

Comments

• WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    Buff your fighter(fighter/mage is better) with potions and spell until he is imune to almost anything, enter the room with only him while letting your party outside the house, kill all the guards(or most of them), run away outside the house, if you are fast enough he wont follow you outside, go rest at the inn, buff again and again until every guard is dead so the demon wont come back to life then kill Aec'Letec with all you have. (it also works with the greater werewolf, you just enter his room alone with your archer, you shoot arrows of detonation everywhere. you then go down two stairs where party is waiting, no one will follow you down here so you can just go back and magic misile the guy to death :) )

Don't be brave, be smart and run away :P
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I usually buff up beforehand. Potions of Mirrored Eyes, etc. Then at the start I lob 3 Fireballs into the centre, which weakens or takes out the Cultists, while the other party members scatter to avoid his initial Hold/Deafness. I usually have 1-2 characters off-tank him, keeping him occupied until all of the cultists are dead, by taking it in turns and healing up between bouts of being smacked about by a tanar'ri. After all the cultists are down I usually go in for 1-2 big backstabs with the Staff of Striking and potions/spells of invisibility. That usually finishes him good.

It isn't really sophisticated, but I find it works. I play on Core Rules, so he'd do more damage on Insane that might make it unviable.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    I used the 4th level cleric spell ( I forgot the name ) that grants you immunity for speed, slow etc. also I used the potion of freedom and then you can easily kill the guards with some Minsc / charname action while the others are keeping the demon busy and are trying not to get themselves killed ;)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I like to make sure I have a remove curse memorized just in case, potions of mirrored eyes seem to be mandatory to avoid the death gaze effect
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Level 7 party, normal difficulty. Potions of freedom for everyone, wands of fire for everyone who can use them. As soon as you get down the stairs, start launching a barrage of fireballs (3-4 should do it) at the edge of the fog of war to wipe out the cultists (especially the ones in the back) as quickly as possible. Have your fighters simultaneously engage the female mage, while using other party members to target any remaining cultists with ranged attacks and wands. Try to kill all of the cultists by the time Aec'Letec reaches your fighters (you only have a short window). All of your fighters should have buffed with at least potions of fire giant strength and potions of defense. With that combination, Aec'Letec should go down before any off your party members can die from the gaze effect. Dispel magic to negate it as soon as the battle is over and you're good to go. Played with a kensai PC, Imoen, Neera, Minsc, Jaheira, and Rasaad (who might as well have stayed upstairs).
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Buff up with everything, melees get magic shielding/blocking/whatyouhave. They go against the first row of priests; throw summon monsters or skelly in the middle to distract Aec'Letec briefly. Bombard with wand of paralyzation. For some reason, he never follows to the NE corner of the room, so that's where charname (either thief or bard, ranged in any case) and whoever has the wand of fire/fireball spells go. Fireball the priests while Aec'Letec is busy trying to gaze the summons/melees. Throw in some Greater Malison and continue with wand of paralyzation when neccessary.
    If Kagain and Montaron melee, they basically need no potions except strength increase; they were never paralized even when I forgot to give them potions. They mostly killed the priests and Aec'Letec alone; with Xzar casting the odd Bless here and there, Edwin fireballing the back row priests 3 times... and then joining charname and Eldoth in the highly important task of "observing the battle".
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    After some mandatory cleric / mage buffing to improve saving throws, a fully-buffed and potted Dorn goes down along with a Vocalized Edwin, a Globe of Invulnerability-Wraithformed Xan and a stealthed Coran armed with Arrows of Dispelling.

Dorn hacks Tracea Carol to death. Xan runs to the middle and begins a staring contest with Aec'Letec while shooting Wands of Fire. Edwin mindlessly throws Fireballs in the middle. Dorn runs around hacking cultists until they are all dead, and then assaults Aec'Letec until he's dead. The demon, in his dying breath, wonders how a puny mageling was impervious to all his attacks.

If by any remote chance someone gets death-gazed, Coran shoots a Dispelling Arrow and then goes invisible again. But most of the time, he just chills in the shadows enjoying the spectacle.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Otilulke resilient sphere is great also to disable Aec'Letec long enough for you to kill the cultists.

Protection from petrification / potion of mirrored eyes, protection from fear and haste are also easing the process (i'd like to say they are mandatory ^^).
    I don't get the Protection from Petrification. It specifically protects from petrification, not gaze attacks, breathe weapon, paralyzation, hold or anything. I don't see how it helps against anything except basilisks. Could someone explain why it would help in this fight?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Ah ok, I thought I missed something very obvious so far.
  • LowkiLowki Member Posts: 31
    Send one meatgrinder melee down, maxed savingthrows, strength potions etc.
    Most importantly he or she uses a speed potion.
    After killing the spellcaster, i send him round in circles hitting each of the cultists maybe once before Aec closes in, then i move on to the next, etc.
    When all are dead i send a caster down, while Aec is drawn to the far end of the room, then i cast Cloudkill, which almost always kills him instantly:)
  • pcmodempcmodem Member Posts: 16
    This worked as a cheese experiment... in my John Cleese voice, "Venezuelan beaver cheese..."

Recommend this method if one is interested in laughs.

Make four party members invisible and have them form a barrier between the two visible party members and Arc'.

Arc' will try to navigate around the invisible barrier; when Arc' moves you should be able to gradually force Arc' away and eventually trap against a wall.

The two visible party members should be buffed up with haste, gaze reflecion, etc., so they can plow through the cultists.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Just beat him, spamming monster summoning wand infront of the demon to keep him busy works wonders. Jaheira can have a save vs death of 0 with potions of invulnerability, stone form. More vulnerable characters need potions of magic shielding to escape death gaze.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Otilulke resilient sphere is great also to disable Aec'Letec long enough for you to kill the cultists.

Protection from petrification / potion of mirrored eyes, protection from fear and haste are also easing the process (i'd like to say they are mandatory ^^).

This is what I used the first time!
    Mind, it calls for a bit of save-scumming, but you'll eventually get it stuck in one, and then you can just whittle down those sitting ducks and take it out at your leisure.
    Samus said:

I don't get the Protection from Petrification. It specifically protects from petrification, not gaze attacks, breathe weapon, paralyzation, hold or anything. I don't see how it helps against anything except basilisks. Could someone explain why it would help in this fight?

It has been revealed that it does not help.

Are you sure ? When I was under the buff (mirrored yes), I'm quite sure that i was never affected by the "Dying" status (when you're about to be transformed into a ghoul).

In my fights, I have only been affected by this status when I had to cast magic dispell on my held / deafened on them because they failed their saves against these demon spells.

So benediction and protection from evil can also be useful here ^^

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

Are you sure ?

Yes.
    CamDawg said:

Are you sure ?

Yes.
    Ok then ;-)
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Lowki said:

Cloudkill

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    In a BGT no xp cap run, I was able to slay the thing outright with Death spell. (No save) Cloudkill would slay it instantly too, if İt can penetrate its magic resistance. As Cloudkill tickles each round, it eventually will.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    "...one of the best counters is to just go !@#$ing kill him." - Day[9]