Skip to content

Do NOT steal from Tethtoril

I was just trying out a new char and went to Tethtoril for the scroll. Since I also encountered the bug, he didn't give it to me, so I tried pickpocketing it from him. I failed, but Tethtoril didn't go hostile. Tried once more, failed again, so I gave it up. I was just starting to walk back to the inn, when suddenly, out of nowhere, a lightning struck me, which of course one hitted my 9 HP PC...
After reloading I checked it more times, and Tethtoril does indeed cast the spell. I'm quite sure many others picked this up before me. But I just thought I'll try and help those people who, like me, haven't known this before.

So all in all: beware of Tethtoril! The guy is secretly a badass druid/mage... :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    I just Ctrl-Y him.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Maelora69 said:

Actually, this feels stupid. The manual goes to great lengths to say how sweet-natured and kindly this guy is... But when he catches my innocent little gnome with her hands in his pockets, he LIGHTNING BOLTS her...! C'mon. He'd give her a little lecture about respecting people's property, give her a cookie and pat her on the head. That's what he's like.

We know Ulraunt is a dick. He might turn you into a frog or something for stealing. But even he shouldn't bloody murder you for stealing!!!

Maybe it because he secretly racist against gnomes and was just waiting for an excuses to get rid of you a gnome like you.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Maelora69 said:

We know Ulraunt is a dick. He might turn you into a frog or something for stealing. But even he shouldn't bloody murder you for stealing!!!

My impression of him after playing the game was that he wanted to get rid of you from the beginning, but Gorion persuaded him to tolerate you. That said, I can imagine him looking for an excuse to kill you.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Gorion is even worse! A slight cut to the cheek and he starts murdering his own child! Infanticide!
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    I wish there was some way you could kill Ulraunt... He's not the only 'Lawful good' character in the realms who's a massive asshole, Haeromos from NWN2 is another one who needs a slap. In the intestines. With a flame sword.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Ulraunt is lawful neutral - even worse!
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    Maelora69 said:

Actually, this feels stupid. The manual goes to great lengths to say how sweet-natured and kindly this guy is... But when he catches my innocent little gnome with her hands in his pockets, he LIGHTNING BOLTS her...! C'mon. He'd give her a little lecture about respecting people's property, give her a cookie and pat her on the head. That's what he's like.

To be honest, this guy either does or doesn't know he's the Bhaalspawn, if he doesn't, then he could just have a Cleric of Oghma resurrect him. lol
  • Maelora69Maelora69 Member Posts: 75
    Mathmick said:

*gasp*
    How DARE an AI respond by turning hostile when you use an action on them that is considered hostile!
    And how DARE they attack you when they are hostile to you! That is simply despicable.

It's too much to ask that a CHARACTER DESCRIBED IN THE MANUAL behaves according to his personality, now?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Maelora69 said:

Mathmick said:

*gasp*
    How DARE an AI respond by turning hostile when you use an action on them that is considered hostile!
    And how DARE they attack you when they are hostile to you! That is simply despicable.

It's too much to ask that a CHARACTER DESCRIBED IN THE MANUAL behaves according to his personality, now?
    Agreed. Also? He is a pure cleric. So, this leaves us to assume he is somehow a LG cleric of Talos. *rolling of eyes*
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    DreadKhan said:

Maelora69 said:

Mathmick said:

*gasp*

Agreed. Also? He is a pure cleric. So, this leaves us to assume he is somehow a LG cleric of Talos. *rolling of eyes*
    What's so "shocking" about that?
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    It seems pretty standard in video games that everyone responds to the tiniest of infractions with lethal force.

Like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Wandered into the wrong part of the police station? Hope you're not a key witness in a case or anything, because the officers are going to try to kill you.

Just be glad the entirety of Candlekeep wasn't magically and instantly made aware of your misdeeds.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Also consider that getting AI that works not only right, but works well, is really hard. And that the computers they had to work with weren't as robust as the ones today so you can't have too many variables without things slowing down. I think the AI, such as it is, is actually pretty good all things considered.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    PugPug said:

It seems pretty standard in video games that everyone responds to the tiniest of infractions with lethal force.

Like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Wandered into the wrong part of the police station? Hope you're not a key witness in a case or anything, because the officers are going to try to kill you.

Just be glad the entirety of Candlekeep wasn't magically and instantly made aware of your misdeeds.

To be fair, they did that in the original, too.

Damn Chinese.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    CaptRory said:

Also consider that getting AI that works not only right, but works well, is really hard. And that the computers they had to work with weren't as robust as the ones today so you can't have too many variables without things slowing down. I think the AI, such as it is, is actually pretty good all things considered.

It's not like they could you know, make use of more triggers/scripts or anything, rather than just have all alignments react exactly the same to anything.

Police shooting you for breaking minor rules is silly, but police forces tend to be more LN than LG, so they do enforce some silly laws. Now, not saying this an ee issue, but one the original development team ought to have thought of.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560

PugPug said:

To be fair, they did that in the original, too.

Damn Chinese.
    Well, to get into the little 1-room police building in China, you had to either hack or blow up the door, so it might be a little more understandable. ;)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

I wish there was some way you could kill Ulraunt...

You can, without problems.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Ugh, I spent many long hours trying to find a way to bring down Tethoril and Gorion and then go on with the game. Any event that resulted in Tethoril's death, whether it was through natural means or Ctrl-Y, would always result in me getting lightning'd anyway, so that was a no-go. I eventually made it work by Ctrl-Qing them into my party, then kicking them out and telling them to wait for me at the FAI, however I couldn't leave the screen. I was using Tutu so the MoveTo command just dumped me off in Trademeet. To this day I never managed to get it to work fully.

Not that it really matters, I just thought a BG game where Gorion never dies - or better yet, where he joins you in your travels - would be hilarious.

However, I haven't tried it yet in BG:EE. Back to the drawing board...
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited July 2013
    Tehtoril uses call lightning (Which kill you instantly) so he can be a pure class cleric, it's Gorian who uses the instant kill lightning bolt. It's possible through scroll of protection from magic or 100% lightning resistance to survive Gorian, while last i checked you'll still get chunked by Tehtoril.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    SionIV said:

Tehtoril uses call lightning (Which kill you instantly) so he can be a pure class cleric, it's Gorian who uses the instant kill lightning bolt. It's possible through scroll of protection from magic or 100% lightning resistance to survive Gorian, while last i checked you'll still get chunked by Tehtoril.

Only druids get Call Lightning.
    Anyway Tethoril's spell is SPWI999, and it just kills you w/o dealing dmg.
    While Gorion's Lightning Bolt deals 100 + 7d6 electrical dmg + 7d6 if you fail a save vs spell.