Skip to content

find familiar usable by anyone but limited to one in the party

it really disappoints me that only a charname mage can use find familiar. there is no explanation for this, and I like to make my main char something else because I prefer to roleplay warriors and rogues and would rather get a mage npc. I thought that it would be cool if any mage could use find familiar. I think charname only use was made so that you don't have a bunch of mages with familiars, so why not limit it to one in the party. this way imoen, neera, Edwin etc could summon up a familiar and get a boost rather than that scroll going to waste

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't see why it should be limited to one per party. If you have a bunch of mages, you should be able to have a small army of familiars.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited August 2013
    I just thought that they might have limited it to charname to limit it to 1 in the party, for balancing reasons I suppose. however, it just doesn't make sense that only charname should be allowed to use it

besides, only hope you have in a small army of 6 familiars is a multiplayer set up game, since there is only one scroll in the game. you could also just console them in though
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    by myself, each spellcaster joinable NPC in the game should have his own special familiar with special banters and events linked to them. The player shoudn't have control over those however (they should be put ingame as blue circled creatures), and they should be forced in the pack of their NPCs every time a fight starts.

The point on them would be bring more banter and contents ingame rather than bring power advantages.

So yes, i approve half of the OP idea and i offer this implement on the idea :)!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's some limitations in the engine that necessitate the "one per party" rule. I think it was limited to just the protagonist because you might have an NPC leave the party, and how would you identify whether the familiar should leave as well?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Dee said:

There's some limitations in the engine that necessitate the "one per party" rule. I think it was limited to just the protagonist because you might have an NPC leave the party, and how would you identify whether the familiar should leave as well?

Hmmm I don't know much (anything) about programming... but can it not be coded like the duo NPCs in the game?

Well... I suppose if it takes a massive amount of effort or is simply impossible, then I'd just have to live with it.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Dee said:

The familiar would be considered a "personal item" and automatically leave. You can't keep Boo or Edwin's necklace or Alora's Rabbit Foot either. Familiars can already be inventory items, they'd just have to be personal items.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    What if the familiar isn't in the character's pack? When the familiar is out and about it's just treated like any other allied creature.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, the same configuration for boo, could be applied for familiars of NPCs, if needed never leave the pack and they would trigger some specific banters.

From a mechanic point of view, they could be just like boo, an irremovible item, the banters would belong to the NPC of course but from a roleplay perspective they would act as if the banters belong to the familiar.

Optionally, during the banters or some of them, they could invoke an creature to represent the familiar, creature that would be dismissed when the banter end.
  • Arctic2Arctic2 Member Posts: 1
    What about, a link between the summoner and its familiar, and a change on the party change script.

When the npc leaves the party ,if he has familiar, it uses the script to call his familiar to his inventory.
    Also we souldnt be able to pick the item from its body if hi dies.
    what if a familiar were to use the duo script? that way they will leave with them. could we actually edit scripts like that in eekeeper or something and test it?
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013

what if a familiar were to use the duo script? that way they will leave with them. could we actually edit scripts like that in eekeeper or something and test it?

The think i see with that, its that you will need to create separate creature files, for a familiar and npc, and diferent spells , edwin find familiar, aerie find familiar ..., so the creatures are linked to its npc.

Quite a lot of work but doable i think.

• MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421

besides, only hope you have in a small army of 6 familiars is a multiplayer set up game, since there is only one scroll in the game. you could also just console them in though

You could pick it as one of your first level spells at character creation. You also could have sorcerers pick it, even though its a terrible spell for a sorc since you will most likely only cast it once. Maybe twice if it doesn't import to BG2.

• ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    it should import if its in your inventory, since its a non removable item
  • BonesTheRabbitBonesTheRabbit Member Posts: 3
    Was kind of disappointing to summon my familiar in a multiplayer game, and then find out that he wasn't even my familiar, even though I was the only wizard in the party. Silly glitch, yo.
    lol I heard about that glitch recently where someone got a cat as a fighter/thief :)
  • kalekale Member Posts: 53
    Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead - but is there a mod out there that makes it possible for one of the companions to find a familiar (in IWD you could do just that, as far as I remember)? I couldn't find anything...