Skip to content

Imoen Dual class event.

WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
I find that the sudden change from thief bg1 to theif/mage in bg2 to be a break in continuity and therefore a break in my interest in the character. So either make an event, quest or dialog that supports this change in bg1 or allow for Imoen to be a pure thief at start the start of bg2 when importing a save.

The only time ever I have cared for the kidnapping of Imoen is when I played through bg trilogy and Irenicus stole my thief. Otherwise I always ignore spellhold until I have absolutely nothing better to do.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    She needs to be a mage for the story to work out. If she wasn't a mage she couldn't attack Irenicus with spells and then she wouldn't be taken by the Cowled Wizards.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    SionIV said:

She needs to be a mage for the story to work out. If she wasn't a mage she couldn't attack Irenicus with spells and then she wouldn't be taken by the Cowled Wizards.

Yes, I agree that this is very inflexible. So a adding an event in BG1 supporting the dual class would be ideal, since you do not get any sense that she wants to be a mage in the first game. Hell, I was very confused that she suddenly was a mage when starting BG2 for the first time.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Back in the original game alot of people did dual class her, and i read somewhere that this was one of the reasons for the developers doing the same with her for BG2.
    SionIV said:

Back in the original game alot of people did dual class her, and i read somewhere that this was one of the reasons for the developers doing the same with her for BG2.

Well, my point is that INGAME it is downright confusing. Especially if you didn't ever consider dual classing her. I still have never been bothered to dual class imoen late game to get another wizard, and I actually started a game to try exactly that.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    In BG1 NPC Projects is a hint that she is interested in magic. Still you have to dual her manually. I know that it isn´t much but at least a bit.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    If you tried to force Imoen into dualclassing in BG1, you'd have far, far more complaints than praise.

If you tried to force Imoen into dualclassing in BG1, you'd have far, far more complaints than praise.

True. All I am saying is that continuity is important and what is taken for granted in BG2 seems non existent in BG1. Just a comment from her when reaching lvl 7 that she is interested in magic would go a long way.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    while in irenicus' dungeon, imoen talks about how irenicus has messed with your heads, so despite what happened in bg1 that is what your character "remembers" what happened ( even if it actually did) a sort of ingame amnesia, because the bg2 game is based off the canon team, so they tried their best to make is so that any team you had from bg1 would somehow kinda work for bg2 ( for all the cameo's of the bg1 npcs, you can ask them about how they aren't dead and such and all that) I guess at the time it would have been to big a project to incorporate every bg1 scenario that could have happened into bg2, plus imoen is your sister, and having her to wittled off to spell hold kind of gives you a little bit more motivation to get there sooner sort of deal
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited October 2013
    SionIV said:

No, she doesnt.
    She only need Wand of magic missile.
    You dont have to be mage to by taken Cowled Wizards.
    ( Even Keldron have problem with his Sword and Cowled Wizards )
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Worg said:

I find that the sudden change from thief bg1 to theif/mage in bg2 to be a break in continuity and therefore a break in my interest in the character. So either make an event, quest or dialog that supports this change in bg1 or allow for Imoen to be a pure thief at start the start of bg2 when importing a save.

The only time ever I have cared for the kidnapping of Imoen is when I played through bg trilogy and Irenicus stole my thief. Otherwise I always ignore spellhold until I have absolutely nothing better to do.

BG2 generally doesn't have great continuity. The Bhaalspawn thread from BG1 is used as a gimmick tacked on to provide some shallow link between what is essentially an entirely different story, NPCs are dropped or have their personalities completely changed (Quayle, Xzar) or distorted (Coran) or retconned into being best buds with you even if they weren't (die Minsc!), the tone of the games is markedly different, etc.etc. Essentially, turning Imoen until a Mage/Thief in BG:EE through some event would be a drop in the ocean as far as continuity issues go, and one that only serves to limit your choices in BG:EE. I don't see the point.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @FrozenCells

Too true. A pity a full remake just wasn't in the cards. Could you imagine the Bhaalspawn Saga with, say, Mass Effects game-exporting technology? Now THAT would be an enhancement!
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Worg said:

I find that the sudden change from thief bg1 to theif/mage in bg2 to be a break in continuity and therefore a break in my interest in the character.

Welcome to a 15 year old game! Importing decisions from one game to the next just wasn't something which happened back then. You were lucky to be able to even import your character stats.

Although I'm not convinced that Dragon Age or Mass Effect style imports add more than they subtract. There is a cost associated with these decision imports - the subsequent games take a lot more work to create because they need to take into account all of the prior decisions. And that takes time away from other aspects of the game - time which could maybe be better spent in adding richness to the game.

Plus it means that even major decisions in the earlier games are reduced to having fairly minor impacts in the subsequent games. So if you got Mordin killed in Mass Effect 2, then his understudy is ready to take on the role in Mass Effect 3 - the overall plot moves on exactly the same either way, with a few dialogue tweaks.

• TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23
    Sorry but Imoen does not have to be a mage to get whisked away to Spellhold. Holy not thinking outside the box. She's Bhallspawn and as a Bhallspawn one gets various magical special abilities, her actions could simply be a magical excursion brought about by rage. Plus mage/thief imoen sucks. It literally made me throw her out of my party to rot in spell hold. She can't thieve anything at the point in the game. MAYBE, just MAYBE if she was multi-classed I could survive, however that breaks with the game continuity.
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2013
    i like your idea. and i would give her illegal dualclass - thief/sorcerer. She is bhaalspawn after all