Skip to content

Imoen: Pure Thief*Easy fix*

TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23
Okay, so right off the bat I'm going to address the common misconception.

1.) Imoen has to use magic or she doesn't get taken to spellhold, and she can't be multi-classed because she wasn't multi'd in bgI. Ergo she has to be dualed.*Read in a silly nasally voice, or maybe dreary like Xan's*

A.) She's Bhallspawn, and what do all Bhallspawn get? Special, MAGICAL, abilities: Cure light wounds, vampiric touch, draw on holy might, and slow poison to name a few. Her magical attack against Irenicus could simply be a manifestation of this drawn out by rage at the sight of her torturer.

Now that that is aside, please tell me others out there want a good ol' fashioned pure thief in their party, because I sure do.

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    This one's been requested a few times, and I can safely say we won't be changing the default. Making a mod is the way to go. :)
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    You don't even have to make a mod, just spend 10 seconds in Shadowkeeper.

And you're "answer" doesn't work. At all. Giving Imoen Bhaalspawn powers would, you know, spoil a huge plot twist.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Yeah, Bhaalspawn powers would spoil the plot but she can still be a pure thief if she has a wand of magic missiles. She came with a wand when you met her in BG I, she is escaping from a wizard's lair so she stole a wand that thieves can use, if you take it from her she pickpockets it back from you when you hit daylight.

Cowled wizards are putting her in spellhold because they that is the only way to control Irenicus, the powerful wizard they have 'captured'. Easy fix. Plot is unaltered and good parties get a thief.

Problem with mods is they often break the game -- I'm not sure whether to contact the devs or the mod maker.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

You don't even have to make a mod, just spend 10 seconds in Shadowkeeper.

And you're "answer" doesn't work. At all. Giving Imoen Bhaalspawn powers would, you know, spoil a huge plot twist.

I dunno. It could work as pretty nice foreshadowing if she suddenly manifested magical abilities during the fight with Irenicus. A kind of 'wait, wait, what did I-?' *gets taken away*
  • TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23
    I agree with the foreshadowing aspect, it provides a good plot cliffhanger which bg2 is characteristic for as opposed to bg1. I would also settle for a magic missile solution as well. And, @LiamEsler: I know it has been mentioned several times yet I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why it should be a mod? The first game suffered initially so much simply BECAUSE of pointlessly doing mods in place of real fixes.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Put a wand of magic missiles on her is an even easier justification for her rage, but hey, make it as complicated as you like :)
  • waehuunwaehuun Member Posts: 26
    Such a mod already exists (to use with the BGT mod). It gives Imoen the custom kit “charming rogue”, which adds some innate magical abilities, such as charm person, magic missle and invisibility.

That fits both Imoen’s character and my playing style. Since my PC is a fighter/mage and edwin is superior than Imoen as a mage anyways, why not keep Imoen a pure (kitted) thief?
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Tieoken said:

I agree with the foreshadowing aspect, it provides a good plot cliffhanger which bg2 is characteristic for as opposed to bg1. I would also settle for a magic missile solution as well. And, @LiamEsler: I know it has been mentioned several times yet I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why it should be a mod? The first game suffered initially so much simply BECAUSE of pointlessly doing mods in place of real fixes.

Why should it be in the unmodded game? In the original game, the developers chose to have Imoen dual classing from thief > mage. And based on her stats, Imoen could legitimately do this.

You've presented some arguments for how the plot could work if she didn't dual class. Fair enough, but you've not presented any arguments why it's wrong for her to dual class. And in the absence of something being clearly wrong with the orignal plot, I see no good reason to change the developer's original decision.

If you prefer your game to be different - well that's what mods are for.

• TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23
    @Karnor00 I believe you are suffering from a vague form of cognitive dissonance. To have a thief dualed at level 7 is utterly useless in the high level points of BGII, which is when you get Imoen back. Also, as stated so nicely by waehuun, she is a horrible mage. Edwin and Nalia fulfill the roll far better. Imoen also, fulfills one of the only good pure thief roles in the game making her a kickass character. Dual classing her is the second stupidest thing a person can do, followed closely behind never getting in a land war in Asia. I don't know what you are smoking my friend but shame on you for not sharing.