Skip to content

Remove a 4th wall breaking sentence.

MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
First of all I'll say that the quality of the writing in the new content has overall been really good in my opinion. However the last sentence in this quest journal update is really jarring to me. I think it would work a lot better without it. Then it would be just nice joke, now it's really obvious self reference to who ever wrote that.

I don't who wrote that, but it would be nice if either @AndrewFoley or @LiamEsler took a look at it. :)

Comments

• TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    Oh, what's this? It's... it's a ticket? Lying right here on the ground?

Is this yours Mess-wait, it has some writing on it...

"Admit-One to Burn Clinic".

Oh.

Ohhh.

Honestly, though, I can appreciate the temptation of continuing that thought, and would probably reflexively do the same if I was writing that sentence. Noticed it during play as well, and just chalked it up to something that was overlooked during testing. But now that journal entries are far more visible, they probably can't afford to be as tongue-in-cheek as they once were. There's some real jewels in there if you look.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The EE's in general have been filled with snark and wiseass comments.

I've loved every bit of it. Putting in a little self reference doesn't hurt anyone, in my opinion. I think the amount of people laughing at that line are far greater than the amount of people who's immersion is forever ruined by it.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    One phrase comes to mind...

"HEY DON'T CLICK ME! I DON'T WANT ANY TROUBLE"
  • OlleDenStoreOlleDenStore Member Posts: 43
    I thought it was funny. I say keep it.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Messi said:

I don't who wrote that, but it would be nice if either @AndrewFoley or @LiamEsler took a look at it. :)

I wrote the line, but I wasn't referring to myself (my official title notwithstanding, I don't consider myself a designer). The reference was actually to Dave Gross, who as I understand it originally conceptualized the Hexxat maze, and who legitimately is urbane, witty, handsome, charming, a real prize, and mad (while I have occasionally had the privilege of having drinks with Dave, I don't believe I've ever seen him drunk; would that he could say the same of me.)
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Varwulf said:

Awfully familiar with that pointer, aren't you? And after only one drink, too.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited November 2013
    Let's be honest here, if we're looking at total and utter fourth wall breaking then it's not this, it's the dialogues of certain NPCs when you click them...

Jaheira: "Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure."
    Xzar: "Stop TOUCHING me."

To mention but two. There was something else deeply knowing in Original BG2 that escapes me right now, I love them, I think they're funny.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Drugar said:

This. Yes, PLEASE don't remove it. If possible-add more. I loved the snarky remarks, comments and tongue-in-cheek journal entries in BGEE and BG2EE seems even better.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Southpaw said:

Drugar said:

This. Yes, PLEASE don't remove it. If possible-add more. I loved the snarky remarks, comments and tongue-in-cheek journal entries in BGEE and BG2EE seems even better.
    I knew making this thread would make seem like a humourless **** :D I do love the witty reply options, and what not too, and as I tried to make clear I think the new content has some best of those yet. That particular sentence just really stood out for me, but if general consensus is that it's great then so be it.

Anyway on the clicking thing, well the action itself is kinda 4th wall breaking. I do love Edwin wondering what mouse magic I use to control him, but for the reason stated I thought that fits well. Probably because in my mind, unlike eg. controlling the party members, the journal is something the PC is actually keeping in the game world.

PS. Thanks to @AndrewFoley for providing interesting insight!
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Troodon80 said:

Varwulf said:

Awfully familiar with that pointer, aren't you? And after only one drink, too.
    You should see me after two :)