Skip to content

Monk fists

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Well they externalized monk fists. So at a minimum you should be able to edit (in Near Infinity or another editor) the fists files you'd like to be +5 or +6 weapons. The file names should be anything between mfist1.itm to mfist8.itm
    Ahh I see.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I'd have a crack at it when I get home :) Looks easy enough :D
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I just want magic fists in BG1. Otherwise I don't know how I'll EVER complete my poverty monk playthrough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    No problems no problems, I'll upload in a couple of hours. ;)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    But doesn't cheating to make it possible in the first place kind of undermine doing the challenge at all?
    Well @CaloNord may have his own preferences but I've thrown together something for you. Open up this rar file and then throw the itm and 2da files in it into your override folder.

With it active at level 31 monks will now jump to having +6 weapons for fists.
    @Elminister‌ No that's great, it's exactly what I did, except I started at 32! :D
    Hehe don't know if it will make the monk to OP but it was fun. :D
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @ZanathKariashi‌ I think the standard assumption is that the code is the DM, but by modding stuff you are effectively DMing.

Which begs the question: Who is the player?!
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    So you can edit the system to allow +1 fists in BG1, and +5&6 fists in BG2?.. Want.
    CaloNord said:

@Elminister‌ No that's great, it's exactly what I did, except I started at 32! :D
    Hehe don't know if it will make the monk to OP but it was fun. :D

Pretty sure the minimal 78% magic resistance and extremely low saves are probably doing that already. But given what you have to go through to get them its justified :)
    Agreed. Besides, not like they can use any of the other ungodly powerful items anyway. ;) Plus there are a dozen difficulty increasing mods out there! ;)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    @DreadKhan‌
    Which is my point. It's like playing through NWN in the DM Client with a randomly selected NPC peasant as your avatar. And then tweaking it's level and stats as needed when you hit a brick wall.

Why bother? I mean sure...we've all done it once or twice, but I honestly just can't see a point in it. A challenge should be about challenging yourself within the system, not redesigning the system to fit your challenge first which to me defeats the whole purpose.

Modding to make things harder or fixing stuff that is poorly adapted to begin with is one thing, but making things outright easier (without precedent), so you can do a difficulty challenge at all just strikes me as a bizarre choice.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Sergio said:

I would like to know also if the file you made elminster work with BG2: 1998 edition, D:

No, it won't. The Monk fists are hard-coded in BG2 (which was first launched in 2000), so you can't change them. You can still edit the .ITM files, and maybe make a Fist-like weapon +5 (and +6 if you like), and CLUAConsole those at the according levels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, I think adding different abilities that are worth using is going to affect balance. If you give your fighter a pile of high level spells as abilities, you'll probably not have the same experience as someone running more vanilla rules.

Strictly my opinion, but as long as you're not as good as a sorcerer or a high level rogue's spike trap, you're probably not really breaking the game balance too horribly. I prefer a pretty vanilla game, mostly difficilty adding is interesting to me. The core rules allow for some insanely powerful builds already, so most small improvements arent really breaking anything.
    Usually when I do something like this I just crank up the difficulty to counteract whatever it is I've just tinkered with. This is why I have 2 versions of the game. :P A proper final version for playthroughs and a test edition for tinkering with, editing things, testing mods and the like. :) A good idea if you do a ton of tinkering. ;)