Skip to content

Portrait and paper doll colours

In IWD the paper doll automatically has the colours of the portrait, however IWD:EE doesn't do this properly, could it be fixed?
CrevsDaakErg

Comments

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Yeah, I concur. This also looks to be more of a bug than a feature request. Original portraits had preset colors. I wonder why this was not carried on from the original game...
    CrevsDaakErg
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The colors during character creation are now driven by your race and class/kit. We could override that for portraits, but it would break the existing functionality.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think this should be brought back to the old behavior. I liked how my PCs had the same colors than the portrait and saved me the time of picking new colors.
    dockaboomskiErgdjc
    Dee said:

The colors during character creation are now driven by your race and class/kit. We could override that for portraits, but it would break the existing functionality.

What's the reason behind that idea? Why consider that dwarves like a certain color and not another? Especially when the portrait clearly shows them using that color.

Colors are not restricted to clothes alone. This issue affects the color of their skin and the color of their hair.

And one other issue. In the original game some default colors were not available to be picked, but they were coming along with certain portraits. Golden color for the elven female portrait (an eleven girl with black hair carrying a sword). Maybe the feature request should focus on having more colors available to be picked.

Erg
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    CrevsDaak said:

I think this should be brought back to the old behavior. I liked how my PCs had the same colors than the portrait and saved me the time of picking new colors.

I as well. This is one of the few shortcomings ID:EE has for me.
    It's a feature carried over from BG:EE - vanilla Baldur's Gate used the same default colors for all races and classes. The Enhanced Edition sets specific defaults for each race (skin and hair) and class kit (clothing, metal, leather, and armor), and that functionality is what you're now seeing in IWD:EE as well.

As I said, we can look at changing that behavior, but it would mean undoing the change that was previously made (which a lot of players have seemed to appreciate).
    CrevsDaak
    Dee said:

It's a feature carried over from BG:EE - vanilla Baldur's Gate used the same default colors for all races and classes. The Enhanced Edition sets specific defaults for each race (skin and hair) and class kit (clothing, metal, leather, and armor), and that functionality is what you're now seeing in IWD:EE as well.

As I said, we can look at changing that behavior, but it would mean undoing the change that was previously made (which a lot of players have seemed to appreciate).

Sounds more like a bug that carried out from BG. IWD when it was released was a lot more polished when it came to gameplay that BG1 (and 2 after HoW was released). I don't think seeing BG as the cornerstone is the way to think about IWD.
    After all, this is supposed to be IWD EE, not IWD to BG2 EE.

As for players seeming to appreciate, I beg to differ. While that worked in BG, it does not mean that people who enjoyed (or played) the original IWD game are not going to enjoy having the old features.
    Erg
    Nope, definitely not a bug, definitely a feature from the Enhanced Edition. There are colors assigned by race/kit that aren't available in that color picker, so as far as expanding color choices it's in many ways even broader than what you'd find from basing them on the portraits.

But, again, as I've said twice already, we can look at changing the behavior. But what you're asking to be changed is a feature of the Enhanced Editions, and one that a lot of people have said they enjoy. In order to have one, you have to take away the other. So it's not just a matter of "I don't like it, change it back" in this instance.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    A lot of people said they enjoyed in BG 1 and 2 EE. I've seen already some threads where people are asking for IWD EE features to be ported back to BG1 & 2 EE.

If Enhanced Edition means Baldurized, makes me fear about what will happen with PS:T or IWD2.
    Erg
    I'm going to stop replying to this thread now.
    dockaboomskiwubbleCrevsDaakbob_veng
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Dee said:

Nope, definitely not a bug, definitely a feature from the Enhanced Edition.

Adding this feature to the list of reasons why I'm not buying IWD:EE.

Carry on.
    Yes, the attitude "it's a feature, not a bug and we like it this way" won't do.
    Colors according to portraits was definitely a feature of the original IWD and of IWD2. If EE does not have it, then is not really EE. It's as simple as that.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Redrake said:

Colors according to portraits was definitely a feature of the original IWD and of IWD2. If EE does not have it, then is not really EE. It's as simple as that.

I think the missing colors that you can set yourself if it bothers you doesn't really take away the EEness of the game all by itself.

That's like saying well you may be president but you have gray eyes so that makes you totally not the president!
    artificial_sunlight

Redrake said:

I think the missing colors that you can set yourself if it bothers you doesn't really take away the EEness of the game all by itself.

That's like saying well you may be president but you have gray eyes so that makes you totally not the president!
    But that's just the thing. Some of the colors that come with the portraits can't be set from the available palette. If they were, this would've been a non-issue. Why include the IWD portraits if you're not going to include everything that came with those portraits?

I see well. Well considering they want to keep everything consistent it sounds like the best solution would be to open up the color palette to allow for those colors that can't be set from the palette now that you are talking about.

That way everybody wins: the people that want the missing colors like you and the people that like the new system can both win.
    That's what I suggested some couple of post above. The answer was the same. "It's a feature and people like it this way." Not sure who those people are.
    I think you misread. The feature I was describing was the default colors being based on race and class, not the limited color palettes. Expanding those is something that I could definitely get behind.
    Dee said:

I think you misread. The feature I was describing was the default colors being based on race and class, not the limited color palettes. Expanding those is something that I could definitely get behind.

Well, maybe you did not read my whole post. I suggested that efforts should be made to expand the color palettes. I think that currently, this can be done using the keeper, but having them in the game in the first place would be a definite improvement.

No argument there. Expanded color palettes is something players have been asking for since... well, since 1998. :)
    Dee said:

Expanded color palettes

That would be nice, but by automatically setting colours based on portraits the original IWD still does it better. If your purpose is to enhance the game, then you (as Beamdog) are failing because there are still features that are better implemented (more enhanced in a sense) in the originals.

The lack of versatility (mostly due to the bad idea of including mods with standard defaults) is another example of the enhanced games being outshined by the originals.

Lack of support for ToBEx features (including ini customisation) is yet another example.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    People realise that you can manually change the colours to match the portrait right? It's not that difficult.
    And clothing colour us hardly an important aspect of the game.
    wubble said:

People realise that you can manually change the colours to match the portrait right? It's not that difficult.
    And clothing colour us hardly an important aspect of the game.

What's "hardly important" to one person may be "very important" to another, right?

If you'd read above, he said he couldn't access the colors that it was autoassigning in IWD, like they are locked in IWDEE.
    Redrake said:

But that's just the thing. Some of the colors that come with the portraits can't be set from the available palette. If they were, this would've been a non-issue. Why include the IWD portraits if you're not going to include everything that came with those portraits?

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Thats more a case of additional colours being needed than needing to auto assign colours for portraits. I understand the want for characters to be the right colours though.
    I will bow out of this discussion gracefully though to avoid causing an argument :)
    wubble said:

Thats more a case of additional colours being needed than needing to auto assign colours for portraits. I understand the want for characters to be the right colours though.
    I will bow out of this discussion gracefully though to avoid causing an argument :)

That's the main conclusion of everybody I believe that more colors are needed... Then everyone can have what they want.
    edited November 2014

That's the main conclusion of everybody I believe that more colors are needed... Then everyone can have what they want.

No, not everybody.

More colours are indeed needed, but that alone is not enough, unless people are willing to rename IWD:EE as IWD-in-BGII:PEE, where PEE stands for Partly Enhanced Edition :)

Is Beamdog really OK with the knowledge that the original games have still some features that are more enhanced than the ones in the so called Enhanced Edition?

Colours automatically set based on portraits is an enhancement in the original IWD, so the question shouldn't be whether we want that in IWD:EE, but whether this superior feature (i.e. a veritable enhancement) should be also in BG:EE and BGII:EE.

DISCLAIMER: yes, colours can be set manually with NI to whatever, but it is the automatically part that makes this truly an enhancement in the original IWD.
    Erg said:

Colours automatically set based on portraits is an enhancement in the original IWD, so the question shouldn't be whether we want that in IWD:EE, but whether this superior feature (i.e. a veritable enhancement) should be also in BG:EE and BGII:EE.

This is exactly the question that would need to be answered. It's something we can look at (this makes Number 4 for me repeating myself), but because it would reverse a previously implemented feature it's not as simple as "Erg wants this, so we'd better do it immediately".
    Dee said:

This is exactly the question that would need to be answered. It's something we can look at (this makes Number 4 for me repeating myself), but because it would reverse a previously implemented feature it's not as simple as "Erg wants this, so we'd better do it immediately".

You should do what's best, not what Erg wants. Chances are that I'll find other reasons for not buying the game even if you do implement this :)
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Erg said:

Chances are that I'll find other reasons for not buying the game even if you do implement this :)

Then why are you complaining about this if you won't get the game for other reasons?
    GodKaiserHell
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    make an option during installation to have either kit-based or portrait based *automatic color assignment*

or not. absurd thread.
    wubble
    bob_veng said:

make an option during installation to have either kit-based or portrait based *automatic color assignment*

or not. absurd thread.

In game option, not installation option. Like the cosmetic attack option in IWDee

djc