Skip to content

Make "can't save game" area flag not prevent resting or add new area flag instead

switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
edited February 2015 in Feature Requests
@Avenger_teambg @Dee @ScottBrooks
As title suggest I'm requesting a way to disable saving the game without disabling resting at the same time. We can already disable resting with undocumented flag 6 (00100000) which still allows to save the game. There is no way to force the game to work opposite way because flag 0 (00000001) disable both saving and resting.

There are 25 unused ARE flag entries, so it will be best to just add new flag to not conflict with content that already use flag 0 and expects current behaviour.

Why this is needed? I've created a tweak that adds "Ironman Mode". Everything works as expected, but just now I've discovered that party can't rest :( Here is a tweak description:
Ironman Mode

Compatibility (only PC version): BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, EET

Not recommended for first-time players!

Ironman Mode known from The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's a hardcore difficulty level in which Charname death is permanent and you can only save when you exit the game. This tweak achieves the same thing by adding "no save" flag to all areas in game. The only way to save the game is by using quick save key (Q), which will also end the game and move you to main menu. When Protagonist dies (or whole party if you install "Protagonist can die" component) than the quick save is overwritten. This tweak will also change current difficulty level to "Core Rules" if it is set lower and disable "Max HP per level" in ini file if it is enabled. Everything else is just like a normal game. In other words it's a famous no-reload challenge. Why impose it via tweak when it can be easily implemented by the player? Well, there are chickens like me that will likely give up on the challenge if the game won't prevent it. If you are going to try it consider sharing your experience here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/challenges-and-playthroughs.
Post edited by swit on

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    My recommendation would be changing it's behaviour, but not adding another area flag. They're limited, and creating more would reduce a mod's opportunity to add new area flags.