Skip to content

[BGx] Add at least one decent level 2 druid spell -.-

SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
I know that there are mods that add a dozen of spells, and the many will say cleric spells are better anyway than druids, but really I'm most frustrated with the level 2 options.

Instead of any big changes to the cleric/druid spell pools, are there any simple mods that just add a useable spell or two to the level 2 druid pool?

Regardless, I think this should be in the main game.

Comments

• CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    I honestly don't see what's wrong with level 2 spells. Yeah, you finally got the level 2 spells unlocked and you're expecting something huge and it kind of crushes that, but they're not THAT bad.
    Flame Blade is good for the extra damage if you're melee, Charm Person or Mammal isn't that bad and can be good in certain situations. Find Traps is invaluable as a Druid Solo. Resist Fire and Cold is amazing until you get to the better resist spells, it really helps out against mages. Slow Poison is also invaluable at this level since you don't have it as an innate ability yet, but once you get that there's really no point to having it as a 2 level spell. Barkskin is also a decent spell.
    Not Goodberries, though. There's no point in that crap.
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    I'm level 10 with 20 wisdom. I got 8 level 2 spells. So right, 4 slow poisons, some res, some charm.
    It's a really useless level.
    Skie said:

I'm level 10 with 20 wisdom. I got 8 level 2 spells. So right, 4 slow poisons, some res, some charm.
    It's a really useless level.

4 Slow Poisons? Why? Are you in a party? Even then, your max amount of Slow Poisons should probably be 2, even if you're soloing. MAYBE 3.
    Of course it's not that great, especially to a level 10. Take away 2 of those Slow Poisons, 1 in Resist, and 3 Charm. Good enough.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @CaeDares I think his point is that there is little else of use, hence 4 Slow Poisons. I tend to pack Jaheira's lv2 spell slots with Slow Poison too...

I see where OP is coming from, Druid lv2 spells certainly are weaker than Clerics, but I am okay with it because Iron Skins, Insect Plague and Fire Elemental still makes the Druid a powerhouse of a character later on, so I see a weak lv2 spell selection as a balancing factor, or an acceptable price to pay.
    Heindrich said:

@CaeDares I think his point is that there is little else of use, hence 4 Slow Poisons. I tend to pack Jaheira's lv2 spell slots with Slow Poison too...

I see where OP is coming from, Druid lv2 spells certainly are weaker than Clerics, but I am okay with it because Iron Skins, Insect Plague and Fire Elemental still makes the Druid a powerhouse of a character later on, so I see a weak lv2 spell selection as a balancing factor, or an acceptable price to pay.

I understand that point, too, but it's not much different than any other Mage type class in the game
    Level 1 spells to a Sorcerer become much less effective over time, same for a Mage and a Cleric. When I get up to around level 10 as a Sorc the most I use from Level 1 is Chromatic Orb. That's all. That's 1 useful spell, and only because it has a cheap Finger of Death and doesn't get resisted by normal enemies. It's probably the only spell that's going to be useful because other than that the norm is to go with Find Familiar, Magic Missile/Chromatic Orb, and 4 other spells. Sleep? Easily resisted. Minor Drain? Not even close to powerful enough. Resist Petrification? Mostly only used against Basilisks. Every spellcaster has a spellbook page that ends up useless once you get to a higher level, and my point is that he at least has the Charm, Slow Poison, Flame Blade for Trolls, and the incredibly useful Find Traps. Not much to complain about, honestly.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @Skie
    If you use EEKeeper, this is one option.
    You can add any level 2 cleric spell to your list of level 2 druid spells with EEKeeper. Just go to the Cleric tab and at the bottom of the screen, click add spell. A list will come up that you can scroll through to find the level 2 spell you want. Then click Assign to your character. It will then be available in game for you to memorize.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Aren't IWDEE's spells going to be added back in BGEE?
    Not sure if there are any good 2nd level spells in IWDEE though.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    I somehow doubt they will be added in, but there would be two new spells:
    "Beast claws", which gives you two attacks per round with 2d4 slashing, a +2 to hit and 18/72 Strength; the other one being a pretty nifty one: "Alicorn Lance", which does 3d6 damage (save vs spell halves) on a single target and marks it for 3 rounds for a minus 2 AC malus. It's pretty cool if your warriors already hack away on that target. :smile:
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    You forgot about Goodberries ^.~

I think you'll find the IWDification mod for BG & BG2 makes a noticeable difference in the number of Druid spell choices: http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwdification/
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    edited March 2015
    Mortianna said:

I think you'll find the IWDification mod for BG & BG2 makes a noticeable difference in the number of Druid spell choices: http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwdification/

I know about it, it changes a lot though by adding so many spells.

I'd be happy to just take the lance spell from there :P
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.