Skip to content

New content toggle

molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
While it's nice to have more and new stuff, there should still be the option to play these games in a state as close as possible to the one as they were originally created.
The reasons for this are many, like nostalgia, balance, respect for a piece of art, just to name a few.

Just ignoring the new content is a very poor solution for the player, as it's a fundamentally different experience when you consciously have to decide not to use things right in front of you, opposed to them simply not being there.

Just to give an example: I decided to play through Icewind Dale again without using Baldurs Gate spells. To do this, I need a list of spells originally in the game. Each time I encounter a new spell I have to search for it in the list and each time it's not in there I have the disappointment of not being able to use it. So it's a lot of effort and induces negative emotions, both newly introduced by the enhancing.

I'm not saying it was wrong to give players more options and things to do, but what's missing is a real (!) option for not using those things.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I think that while such a request can find its supporters, I would still say that the EEs don't need to give options to turn off all the enhancements.

If you want to play the games "in a state as close as possible to the one as they were originally created", play the vanilla games, and not the EEs.

Also, I don't think it's only a matter of one's desire. The EEs bring so many enhancements to the UI, to the in-game processes and so on, and the level of these tweaks means that you simply can't turn them off in order for the game to stay stable.
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    Well, I didn't want to make the request to complicated, but I probably should have been more specific.

What I actually find disturbing (sometimes) are the new elements that invade the game world. On the other hand, I don't have any problems with the new UI and wouldn't wanna go back to the old one. So what I actually tried (and probably failed) to suggest are preferably separate toggles for newly introduced in-game elements as new spells and new NPCs and such.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think, if you don't select any kits for classes, and then ignore the new NPC's, you're pretty close. It's not possible to go further than that, as you're playing a BG2 engine (essentially).
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The new quests are related to 4 NPCs only, you just have to act as they were not here. Yeah you will talk Neera and Rasaad and Hexxat through a normal playthrough but you need not do anything more with them.
    I mean, I am sure most of us already simply ignored Minsc and Jaheira in Irenicus dungeon, act as if they were not here.