Skip to content

#15557 Party members should not disappear when leaving the Pocket Plane

GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
edited July 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
Finally taking a peek at ToB, I entered Saradush initially with a small party, and after meeting stiffer resistance than I anticipated, I jumped back to my pocket plane for allies.

Now, when I return to Saradush, although I leave with a party of 6, only 3 of us arrive - Myself, Sarevok and Viconia. The other 3 NPCs are still in my party, portraits available on the right, but clicking on them does not take me to where they entered - it looks like they are lost in transmission. Returning to the pocket plane, they are equally lost. The other 3 party are Keldorn, Aerie and Edwin (odd party mix I know).

Is this an expected behavior? If so, where should I look for them?
If not, I will file a bug report in the BG2 bugs forum.

[Edit] Oh, and just to confirm, the problem persists after reloading. I even went back to a save I luckily had before returning for reinforcements, and the problem repeats. I suspect this must be a game feature I am missing somehow, but find no hints online to help - my Google-fu is letting me down tonight.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Is this an expected behavior?

No. Your party should always change areas together, in the same way as before ToB.
    GreenWarlock
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    OK, looks like a bug. I found an earlier save in the sewers, and tried from there with the same effect - only now I could not leave the sewers on return to Saradush until I gathered my (lost) party - ouch!

With a little more experimentation what I /think/ is happening is that I was heading back to the pocket plane with a couple of dead party members. I just tried resurrecting them before returning to my pocket, and the problem has gone away.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior? Or is this a one-off trick of my Mac?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You running any mods?
    No - I don't use any mods, nor the console.

Starteded a new game in ToB directly though, rather than importing an SoA completionist, which I gues is relatively unusual (looking for a reason this might not have been reported before).
    Can you attach the save?
    Time to figure out how to do that then - I've managed to avoid the need until now :)

I'll open a new thread in the BG2 Bugs forum, unless this thread can be transferred first.
    edited July 2015
    Find the particular folder for that save game (should be in my documents/baldur's gate 2 enhanced edition/saves), throw that folder into a rar file or a zip file, and then you can attach the file here using the "attach a file" feature.

Also I moved the thread to the bugs forum.
    Also what platform are you using to play the game (android, ios, linux, windows, mac, etc).
    Playing on Mac OS X, Yosemite 10.10.2, latest BG2 patch 1.3.2064.

As noted above, the issue will fix itself if I resurrect both slain NPCs before returning to the pocket plane for the first time. Problem persists if I resurrect them in the pocket plane instead.

Thanks.
    hook71
    edited July 2015
    So to reiterate the problem is that you

1) jump back to the pocket plane
    2) Click on Keldorn, Aerie, and Edwin to add them to your group (Edwin is apparently dead so he must be resurrected in some way)
    3) Attempt to return to Saradush and find that only three of your party members made it (but the portraits for the other 3 are still around).
    edited July 2015
    Edwin is dead in this save that you provided me. Did you resurrect him before or after you entered the pocket plane? If so what spell/item did you use? (I'm trying to get all the information here)
    Yes, I already have (a dead) Edwin in the party. I used Viconia's 7th level spells to resurrect the two dead party members before returning to the pocket plane and recruiting Keldorn and Aerie, and then everything runs fine. Otherwise, only myself, Viconia and Sarevock emerge when I return to Saradush.

I have not experimented with resurrecting only one party member before planing. It does seem important to resurrect before returning to the plane for the first time though - resurrecting in the pocket plane is no workaround for the bug.
    edited July 2015
    Yep got it. @Gate70 Repo steps are as follows.

1) Load the save attached in GreenWyvern's above post
    2) Hit F12 then F3 to use the Pocket Plane ability
    3) Open Viconia's spellbook and memorize Resurrection (2 castings of it)
    4) Rest
    5) Cast Resurrection on Edwin and Sarevok
    6) Talk to Aerie (1) to recruit her
    7) Talk to Keldorn (1,e) to recruit him
    8) Press 0 to select all party members
    9) Click trigger at 1990.940 to travel back to Saradush
    10) Hit F12 then F3 to use the Pocket Plane ability

Observed

Edwin, Viconia, and Charname are the only characters that successfully return to Saradush. Additionally, they cannot be found if you return to the Pocket Plane.

Expected

When trigger is clicked all 6 members of the party should have returned to Saradush.

Notes

If you resurrect your party members and then returning to the pocket plane (to pick up Aerie and Keldorn) you do not seem to experience this issue.
    Gate70hook71Hurricane
    Nice education @argent77. Despite 30+ years writing software, it never ceases to surprise me how specific some bugs can be, nor how expensive it is to provide exhaustive test coverage. I guess the workaround is to make sure the party leader is alive before returning to the pocket plane?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Yes, either that or by temporarily moving the protagonist back into party slot 1 before entering the Pocket Plane.
    Gate70elminster
    hint: it is tricky to do much of anything with a dead protagonist, so I'm not sure that the corpse NOT being the protagonist is much of a restriction ;)
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Tagged. Anybody revived in a slot higher than the party leader is affected.
    Thanks for the team effort on this one.
    elminsterhook71Hurricane