Skip to content

Druid spells in BG2:EE

Hi all,

One of the things that I never liked about BG and BG2 (any version) was that the Druid spell lists were so limited. Basically, they seem to be somewhat underpowered clerics. IWD has lots of really interesting Druid spells that didn't appear in BG2. Any chance that these spells can make an appearance in a future version of BG2:EE? Or is there a mod that already exists to import these spells?

Also, another quick question. Is there a simple way to switch loadouts for characters? I.e. at the moment, if I am equipping a two-handed weapon such as a longbow, I have to physically go into the inventory screen, swap out the longbow and then swap a shield or off-hand weapon into the off-hand weapon slot. Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    There is IWDification but I'm not certain if it works for BG2EE at the moment.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=948
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I can attest that IWDification works with BG2EE. Not that I've tried literally every added spell, but I've never encountered problems with the ones I have used.
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90

Hi all,

Also, another quick question. Is there a simple way to switch loadouts for characters? I.e. at the moment, if I am equipping a two-handed weapon such as a longbow, I have to physically go into the inventory screen, swap out the longbow and then swap a shield or off-hand weapon into the off-hand weapon slot. Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks.

This is one of the things I expected an Enhanced Edition to do... but nope.

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Call lightning, insect plague and natures beauty are amazing spells. Fire elementals (lvl 6 spell) are excellent summons as well. Druids have few special spells in bg2, but they do sure are among the most useful and powerful.

Compare flame strike to insect plague, for instance.

Cleric-woo I did 30-60 fire (which is the easiest to resist) damage to a single enemy with my flame strike.

Druid-that's cool, bro. My insect plague does about half of that damage to every enemy, disrupting spellcasters, anhiliating mages, and even panicking some of the toughest foes. They all scream and run 'not the bees!' Like that Nic Cage movie. And I get thsi spell way earlier than you do get your 5th lvl slots.
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    edited March 2015
    A BG2EE druid has: Call Woodland Beings (without an override script, like in IWDEE 1.4--otherwise, it's pretty much useless), Iron Skins, Pixie Dust, Nature's Beauty. Aside from generic healing/utility priest spells, these are the only spells I would ever bother memorizing as a druid.

On top of that, an IWD druid has the following excellent options: Moonblade, Stormshell, Static Charge, Star Metal Cudgel, Animal Rage, Stalker. Obviously, IWD druid spell selection favours Fighter/Druids or Rangers, but at least spells offered are really good. So, basically, yes, an IWD druid is much stronger spell-wise than a BG2 druid. However, given the recent IWDEE progress, I am quite sure BG2EE and IWDEE will converge system-wise at some point. Which means, both games will have the same selection of classes, spells, etc.
    Post edited by Tisamon on
    edited March 2015
    Druids spells 1-3 are where they are at their weakest. At least at level 4 they have Call Woodland Beings (even if they will occasionally ignore your commands, are very reluctant to move anywhere if they have an enemy in sight, and have the health of a toothpick).

Level 1: Entangle (even the original BG1 and Icewind Dale/Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition weren't as mean as to give it the +3 bonus it gets in BG2/BGEE/BG2EE).

Level 2: Goodberry (even Icewind Dale is kind enough to give you a single item that heals 5 health instead of 5 items that each heal one). Charm Person or Mammal suffers from the same ridiculous saving throw bonus as Entangle.

Level 3: Call Lightning and Summon Insects both take too long to cast given that they are offensive spells (this would be less of an issue if they had more alternative spells). Hold Animal has practically no targets you can use it on in BG2 (and frankly even in BG1 its use is limited due to spells like Command and Sleep).

Level 4: Call Woodland Beings.

When you compare that to the best that Clerics get at these levels its a bit of a head scratcher that Bioware didn't include more druid only spells. Especially when you consider that more could have been added (like Heart of Winter did with Icewind Dale) with the Throne of Bhaal expansion.

A few cleric only (as of BG2) spells.

Level 1: Sanctuary, Remove Fear, Protection from Evil.
    Level 2: Draw Upon Holy Might
    Level 3: Animate Dead, Holy Smite, Zone of Sweet Air.
    Level 4: Protection From Evil 10'Radius, Free Action, Holy Power, Lesser Restoration, Mental Domination.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • MalacPokMalacPok Member Posts: 96
    I'm about to face some tough challenges in ToB with my solo Shapeshifter. Since the GWW form is struggling with damage output (even with the 4 APR, thanks to the not-so-logical but working off-hand Belm) I will have to rely mainly on spells. Hopefully a right solution will present itself for every situation, but some encounters make me anxious in advance. I will have to heavily rely on Harm. (Don't care how cheesy it is)
    edited March 2015
    MalacPok said:

I'm about to face some tough challenges in ToB with my solo Shapeshifter. Since the GWW form is struggling with damage output (even with the 4 APR, thanks to the not-so-logical but working off-hand Belm) I will have to rely mainly on spells. Hopefully a right solution will present itself for every situation, but some encounters make me anxious in advance. I will have to heavily rely on Harm. (Don't care how cheesy it is)

If you haven't already gotten to ToB remember that you can get the Ring of Gaxx. It gives you castings of Improved Haste. Its only going to give you it for 10 seconds with each use, but its still a boost. There is also the Bracers of Blinding Strike (whose effect lasts 20 seconds).
  • MalacPokMalacPok Member Posts: 96
    Yes, I am already using them, along with the simulacrum helm to double my wolves or my Energy blades capacity. Those blades will probably play a large role in the future. The encounters I fear the most are the Ravager and Amelissan. With no wish-rest option, I'll have to very carefully plan my moves. Probably some Harm will do good too.
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    One of the problems I've noticed with the Druid is that you can't effectively buff your summons. For instance, you summon a Fire Elemental and then cast Death Ward on it. It still won't protect against Death Spell from an enemy caster, despite the spell description explicitly saying otherwise. They also don't have things like Haste or Protection from Evil 10' Radius.

Summon Insects and Nature's Beauty also become less powerful once enemies start gaining magic resistance. Even with mage support (Lower Magic Resistance), these spells start to fail in their crowd-control capacity. It's often not possible to lower the magic resistance of every enemy in a mob. I'm not aware of any offensive Druid spells that ignore magic resistance. (Feel free to enlighten me if you guys can think of any, I need some tips!)

Still, I do like Druids. But not because they're extra strong or competent; it's because they're so difficult and therefore a real challenge! You have to work out sneaky strategies when using them. They're also more interesting to play than the nuking mage, which is a bland Time-Stop-Alacrity-Wilting rinse 'n' repeat.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    @alastair93 Offensive Druid spell that ignores MR? Fire Storm and Implosion AFAIK. Other than that, well, I summon Sunnis and watch him wreak havoc.

By the way, is it only me who wonders why on Earth do the Elemental Princes hit as +3 when regular summoned Fire and Earth Elementals hit as +4?

It's one of the first things I change when I play druid. Once I delayed on purpose the fight with Kangaxx - Zaaman Rul destroyed the demilich form in like 4 hits (apparently the fire component of his strikes isn't resisted by the demilich).

Basically I use Nature's Beauty when I reach level 14 and when I reach 15 (massive gain in 7th level slots), I try to use only HLA's. In few levels my 7th level slots are composed by only Storm of Vengeance, Greater Elemental Summoning and Implosion. Sometimes I keep one Fire Storm (takes great care of the Drow). He is quite powerful but I won't deny that around Underdark the 7th level slots take 90% of my casting each battle. Sometimes I use a Heal (outside of battle), Chaotic Commands or a regular Fire Elemental when I fight with trolls and apart from that and Iron Skins, the lower levels might as well not exist.

The one spell I sorely missed compared to IWD is static charge - good reliable damage over time and without the ridiculus requirement of being outdoors.