Skip to content

Add new IDS files to Opcode #177 & other Opcodes

MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
edited October 2013 in Feature Requests
Opcode #177 lets you apply a spell effect to a creature that has a specific IDS value assigned to it. At the moment the following IDS files are avaliable: EA.ids, General.ids, Race.ids, Class.ids, Specific.ids & Gender.ids
Align.ids. What is missing here at two ids files and they are:

Adding State.ids would let you apply a spell effect to a creature that has a specific state currently affecting it like Sleep, Bless, Luck, Silence, etc... So you could make a spell that forces you to put a creature to sleep first, and then you could drain or damage them while they are sleeping. Or you could dispel/cure a specific state instead of dispelling all of the states. Or you could get a protection/damage bonus if you are blinded.

Adding Kit.ids would let you apply a spell effect to a creature with a specific kit instead of a specific class.

I figure this would be rather simple to add to the existing opcode.

----

Now there are three more cases that require the creation of new opcodes for example:

1. An area variant of Opcode #177 where a spell effect only occurs when the caster is in a map with a specific value. The .ids files would be:

- Weather.ids: So a spell effect would only occur if the weather is raining or foggy. So you could make it that a fire spell is weak when it is raining or you get a vision penalty when it is foggy.

- Time.ids or Timeoday.ids: So a spell effect would only occur if the time of day is either night or day. So you could make it that Shapeshifter's Werewolf would get a damage bonus during the night or a Limbant would get a regeneration effect during the daytime.

- Area.ids: So a spell effect would only occur if you are outdoors, in a city, a forest or a dungeon. So a Ranger would get a movement bonus if you are in a forest. Or a lightning spell could only work if you are outside.

2. An Opcode that is one big statistical modifier that changes the value of a certain creature's stat. It would be a flat modifier, not a cumulative or percentage one. There are already several statistical modifier opcodes already in existence however there are some missing. For example there is no opcode that modifiers a Cleric/Paladin's Turn Undead level which would be very useful when creating new kits. So it would be helpful to have an Opcode that asks you choose a stat from stats.ids and then ask for the new value.

3. An Opcode that is a statistical modifier that changes the values of an area. For example, an opcode that changes the value of the weather, so you could summon rain animation and it would also change the area weather value to rain. Or an opcode that changes the value of the time, so you could change the area time to night when you have an animation that gives a night look. This would work in conjunction with the Area variant of Opcode #177.

4. An Opcode that is a statistical modifier that edits the values of spells for a certain duration. These values would be:

- "Target" : You could then edit the default target of spells. So a spell that affects only a single target would be modified to affect all those in the area. And an area spell would be modified to affect a single creature.

- "Range": You could give a positive or negative boost to a spell's range. So a touch spell could gain a couple of feet or a long distance spell would be forced to be cast as a touch spell.

- "Speed": Instead of using Alacrity, you could give a couple of seconds penalty or boost to spells. So instead of shortening the speed between spells, you could shorten the actual speed of a spell.

- "Damage": Instead of giving a bonus to weapon damage, you could give some extra points of damage to magical damage.

- "Duration": You could increase the duration of all spells by a couple of bonus seconds.

This opcode would be incredibly useful in creating Metamagic spells.

---

I figure the first one which is a edit to a pre-existing spell would be easy. The other ones are harder to create but are just as valuable.
Post edited by Mordeus on

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    A lot of good suggestions here...bump
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I'm having a bad time with Opcode 177.

I'm making a spell that should target only the undead in a given area.

Made the 3 effects I want to apply, created Opcode177, set the parameters to affect only undead (3. General/ 4.Undead), but when I click in the Resource camp and "Load external effect" the entire Opcode is replaced by was is supposed to be only the effect.

What am I doing wrong? Can I use as a Resource only the in-game options?

Thanks.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited July 2017
    Raduziel said:

I'm having a bad time with Opcode 177.

I'm making a spell that should target only the undead in a given area.

Made the 3 effects I want to apply, created Opcode177, set the parameters to affect only undead (3. General/ 4.Undead), but when I click in the Resource camp and "Load external effect" the entire Opcode is replaced by was is supposed to be only the effect.

What am I doing wrong? Can I use as a Resource only the in-game options?

Thanks.

You might be better off using opcode 324. Basically, what you would do is give all non undead immunity to your spell for 1second as your first effect. Then, any effects in your spell will only affect undead. This trick is used in quite a few IWDEE spells. For example, I think they use it to exclude undead from being affected by cause light wounds. Check out iwdee, or this mod:

https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/B_Spells
    (I'm creating a mod that brings all iwdee spells to other games)