Skip to content

Animus: Sentient Weapon mod [RELEASED]

TomeTome Member Posts: 466
edited November 2013 in General Modding
The Animus weapon mod has been completed, full credit to @Alkalurops !

If the download goes down, just post here and I'll replace it. :)

Mod Description:

Animus is a sentient weapon capable of conversing telepathically with you and you alone. Unlike Lilarcor, Animus is reasonably intelligent and capable of holding an actual conversation-although since it's a telepathic weapon he's incapable of speaking in-battle like Lilarcor. It's normally a +1 weapon with no special benefits, but once you discover a little more about your heritage, it can be upgraded to a +2 longsword with a couple of extra benefits at the cost of it's ability to converse.

Animus can be found in the Nashkel general store for a reasonable fee.

Download

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Y0ez-SKHL1czE4d3lFYWw4NXc/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Hope you enjoy it!
Post edited by Tome on

Comments

• AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I can't begin to imagine the banter to be had with Lilarcor.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Well, seeing as Animus is silent except to you (for plot reasons) the two can't banter directly. That said, I love the idea of the two swords both sniping about the other to you.

Animus "Oh, you used that unrefined piece of trash again, master? Why bother, when you could wield the likes of me?"

Lilarcor: "You thinking of using that prissy longsword? You know, two-handed swords can give you twice the killing power"
    The mod has now been created and is available to download! All credit to Alkalurops, as stated above. :)
  • Figures this would crop up after my Blade playthrough ;)

Guess I'll just have to roll a Fighter/Mage or something.
  • HarielHariel Member Posts: 18
    @Tome How can I get this sword in the game?
    Buy it from the Nashkel store (it's right after the normal longswords). If you've already interacted with the store, the weapon won't show up and you'll have to cheat it in:
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("E)ANIMU0")
    That's a zero at the end
  • Any plans for a BG2 expansion on the mod?
    edited November 2013
    I do plan to write a sequel but I'm not sure how long it will take. I want it to be a lot bigger and deeper than this one, especially in ToB where animus' backstory may cause issues.
  • HarielHariel Member Posts: 18
    I must say, this mod is great ;-) Good job @Tome and @Alkalurops! :-)
    Thanks for the kind words. :D
  • xenophonxenophon Member Posts: 17
    Looking forward to giving this mod a go, though my char is a mage. Can he be equiped to another character or be held in the inventory and still converse?
    In order to converse with the weapon, it needs to be in the inventory of someone who can equip it, e.g. a fighter. NPC's who can otherwise equip longswords can also equip Animus.
    It is worth noting however that the conversations have been written as though they were between Animus and the player. :)
    edited December 2013
    Update courtesy of Alkalurops, with the following tweaks:

- Increased Price to 2000 from 500
    - Changed THAC0 bonus to +1 (untransformed)
    - Changed damage bonus to +1 (untransformed)
    - Changed item name to "E)ANIMU1"
    - Added transformation effect
    - Transformation dialog now available in the first catacombs area (AR2613 - library)
    - Updated WeiDU to 236

Also, I'm starting to write dialogue for Animus BG2, but I won't have enough time to finish it for a while. That said, if anyone has any requests for content feel free to offer me some ideas!
  • Rylorn23Rylorn23 Member Posts: 77
    This looks good. But I prefer a Two handed sword for my Blackguard or Paladin. Can't this sword change its form like Enserric the sword from Neverwinter Nights Hordes of the Underdark, please? I would really like use him in the game and later in BG2EE as weapon +5! X3
    If @alkalurops is willing to implement it, I do plan on eventually making a BG2 version sometime later this year. I'm not sure about adding a 2-handed version though. It might work with a few plans I have for the BG2 version, but it'll probably stay as is for BG1.
  • Rylorn23Rylorn23 Member Posts: 77
    Ok. I was only thinking, if Animus would have the ability the change shape like Enserric to sword, it could be great!

Longsword - for everyone who can use longswords
    two handed sword - for stronger warriors
    short sword - for rogues
    dagger - for wizards

I've been also thinking, that sword would gain a special abilities in BG2 depending what alignment protagonist have. Like good, neutral and evil.
    I see where you're coming from, but remember that Enserric was a powerful magical blade in it's own right (I believe it was from Hordes of the Underdark, which is pretty much Epic-level) whilst Animus' power is far more limited-at least for now.
    edited March 2014
    I'm personally not a fan of shape-changing weapons. If you're looking for a nice weapon, there are already plenty of blades in BG2. If you're a paladin, you're going for Carsomyr *anyway*. I'd like to think that anyone installing this mod knows it's a long sword and will simply roll a PC with pips in long sword.

I do like alignment-based changes though. Or at least changes based on the events that happen to charname, like - I don't know - losing your soul. Maybe hell would be an appropriate time to see a serious upgrade.

I don't know how fast I'll be able to do the job, but as long as there's no rush, I'm ok with implementing it. Well, I have an exported bard waiting for this weapon anyway, so...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I'd like to think that anyone installing this mod knows it's a long sword and will simply roll a PC with pips in long sword.

Actually I always put at least Proficient in Long Swords. I think that it's has the best and most variants in BG2, and in BG1 you can get Varascona +2 pretty early and it deals better damage than the War Hammer +2 that Bassilus carries.
    Good to see that you're up for it, @Alkalurops‌! I'd just like to reiterate my gratitude. :)

Right now, my (spoiler-free) plan for updates is thus:

The blade will begin as a +2 weapon with the same stats as it had in BG1, but several opportunities throughout the game will cause it to be upgraded. The nature of these upgrades depends on either alignment or explicit player choices.

After Spellhold, the events that occurred will jog Animus' memory and unlock a little more power in a conversation that renders it a +3 weapon. The enchantment strength will increase slightly but no other changes will occur-it's just intended to ensure that the weapon remains competitive with the vast array of other items on offer. If possible, the weapon should be impossible to wield by anyone who is not CHARNAME.

After the Hell Trials, it will return to it's full strength and turn into a +4 weapon. If you chose evil, it will gain the level drain of Blackrazor (but not the regeneration). If you chose good, it will grant regeneration (2 HP per 5 seconds). If you are neutral, you may choose. Regardless of form, the weapon now also offers Negative Plane Protection and 10% magic resistance.

Before the final trials in ToB, the weapon will finally reach full power as a +5 weapon or +6 artifact, depending on your intentions. The +5 weapon will have all previous abilities, with 30% magic resistance rather than 10% and also gaining the ability from the Hell Trials that you didn't choose before. The +6 artifact will be pretty overpowered, adding even more abilities. (I'm thinking the same as the +5 version, with added immunity to death spells and the ability to cast Dimension door at will) The last one is really intended for people playing Ascension with difficulty mods-I don't see it ruining balance much in that case, especially as it should only be available at the endgame!
    Tome said:

After Spellhold, the events that occurred will jog Animus' memory and unlock a little more power in a conversation that renders it a +3 weapon. The enchantment strength will increase slightly but no other changes will occur-it's just intended to ensure that the weapon remains competitive with the vast array of other items on offer. If possible, the weapon should be impossible to wield by anyone who is not CHARNAME.

I can understand you want to keep the weapon competitive, but I figured the sword would revert to a +1 sword after losing your soul.
    Tome said:

After the Hell Trials, it will return to it's full strength and turn into a +4 weapon. If you chose evil, it will gain the level drain of Blackrazor (but not the regeneration). If you chose good, it will grant regeneration (2 HP per 5 seconds). If you are neutral, you may choose. Regardless of form, the weapon now also offers Negative Plane Protection and 10% magic resistance.

I haven't played neutral for a long time. Is it possible to leave hell without either becoming Good or Evil?
    Regardless, I think it's a bit too powerful. Consider this:
    - BG2 has no +4 long swords. Even the ludicrously overpowered Blackrazer is "only" +3.
    - TOB has +4 long swords, like Angurvadal in Watcher's Keep, but its only abilities are +1 fire damage (meh) and 22 Strength for 60 seconds once per day. In comparison, Animus gives you bonus spells, negative plane protection, 10% magic resistance, and a level drain of 4 (or great regeneration). This would make Animus more powerful than even the upgraded Angurvadal, which is only available after Sendai.
    I'd say, at least drop the magic resistance.
    Tome said:

Before the final trials in ToB, the weapon will finally reach full power as a +5 weapon or +6 artifact, depending on your intentions. The +5 weapon will have all previous abilities, with 30% magic resistance rather than 10% and also gaining the ability from the Hell Trials that you didn't choose before. The +6 artifact will be pretty overpowered, adding even more abilities. (I'm thinking the same as the +5 version, with added immunity to death spells and the ability to cast Dimension door at will) The last one is really intended for people playing Ascension with difficulty mods-I don't see it ruining balance much in that case, especially as it should only be available at the endgame!

Again, I think it's too much. At this point let's compare a few "end-game" weapons:

Angurvadal + 5 (after Sendai)
    • 2 to 5 fire damage
    • 22 strength (always active on the upgraded version)
    • Immune to level drain
    Purifier + 5 (after Sendai)
    • +5 damage vs chaotic evil
    • +30% Magic Resistance
    • Dispel Magic twice per day
    • Mass Cure once per day
    Animus + 5
    • +1 spell per level
    • 15% chance to drain 4 levels
    • 2HP regeneration per 5 seconds
    • Immune to level drain
    • +30% Magic Resistance
    That's as powerful as both weapons combined PLUS black razor PLUS ring of regeneration PLUS bonus spells that make the ring of wizardry look like something you bought at a wallmart for half a dollar.
    Personally, I'd drop the second ability (either level drain or regeneration, not both) and maybe reduce the magic resistance to 10%.

On an unrelated note: is Cespenar going to upgrade Animus? After all, he is Satan's little helper. Well, Bhaal's.
    Second Draft-my bad, I was working off memory for item stats so I apparently misremembered them-I was under the impression that endgame ToB items were better than that. xD

BG2

Weapon begins as +2. After Spellhold it becomes unequippable and must be repaired by Cromwell using a few materials scattered around the game. Once repaired it becomes a +3 weapon but gains no additional abilities.

After the Hell trials it gains Blackrazor's level drain and immunity to level drain. If you chose predominantly good options throughout the trial it also grants 10% magic resistance. If you chose mainly evil options, it grants immunity to fear. It does not gain an enchantment level and thus ends BG2 as:

Animus +3 (can only be wielded by you)

1 spell per level
    15% chance to drain 4 levels from enemy and heal, haste, and raise strength of wielder
    Immune to level drain
    +10% Magic Resistance OR immunity to fear

Compared to other endgame one handed weapons:

Blackrazor +3

+1 HP every 5 seconds,
    Immunity to charm
    Immunity to fear
    15% chance to drain 4 levels from enemy and heal, haste, and raise strength of wielder

Celestial Fury +3

Faster by 1
    Uses d10 rather than d8
    Chance to stun opponent
    Chance to deal +20 damage
    You may cast Lightning Strike and Blindness once per day

I think it's pretty similar to Blackrazor-it's probably more useful than Blackrazor if you're a multiclass or bard, but otherwise I'd much rather have that regeneration. Celestial Fury humiliates both of them, but that's katanas for you I guess. xD

Throne of Bhaal

Cespenar can upgrade the blade to +4 using a relic and 10k. It receives no other buffs however.

Animus +4

1 spell per level
    Immune to level drain
    +10% Magic Resistance OR immunity to fear

Reaches full power at the end of the game as:

Animus +5

1 spell per level
    Immune to level drain
    +20% Magic Resistance OR immunity to fear and domination

Compared to other endgame one handed weapons:

Angurvadal +5
    2 to 5 fire damage
    22 strength (always active on the upgraded version)
    Immune to level drain

Purifier +5
    +5 damage vs chaotic evil (this triggers on the final boss, which is the only battle you can use Animus +5 anyway)
    +30% Magic Resistance
    Dispel Magic twice per day
    Mass Cure once per day

Hindo's Doom +4

Hits as +4 weapon rather than +5, but that shouldn't be an issue outside of Ascension.
    You may cast Greater Restoration once/day
    Immune to death spells
    10% magic resistance

Flail of Ages +5

Slower than the other weapons here by 2 points
    +10 damage of varying elements.
    33% chance target is slowed per hit.
    Free action
    5% magic resistance

Again, Animus is clearly the best choice for mages but the Purifier has more magic resistance, more damage and a few useful spells. Angurvadal outdamages Animus as well. It's also worth remembering that the final boss is immune to level draining.

Finally, if discussions throughout BG2 and ToB have left Animus fully loyal to you, you've beaten the final boss of Watcher's Keep and you have sufficiently high charisma and wisdom, you may unlock Ascension-mode Animus. This is meant to be a full-fledged artifact and I will not deny that it's overpowered.

Animus +6

1 spell per level
    25% chance to drain 4 levels from enemy and heal, haste, and raise strength of wielder
    Immune to level drain, fear and domination
    Ability to cast Dimension Door at will
    30% Magic Resistance
    Free Action

Thanks for calling the imbalances to my attention. Better? :)
    Just to be clear: I just take credits for the implementation, the IP is still yours so whatever you want Animus to be is "word of God" as far as I'm concerned. I'm just giving my 2 cents.

I know you can restrict items to named NPC's, but I don't think you can restrict items to CHARNAME. Maybe someone more knowledgeable like @Dee knows if it's possible? If I knew CHARNAME's death variable it would be trivial.

No, no-I really appreciate your input. To be honest, I haven't had the time to sit down and play BG2 in months and so I'm a little out of touch with the game's balance. That goes for anyone else too-balance concerns are always welcome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PaarethPaareth Member Posts: 34
    Exactly the kind of mod I was looking at doing, though likely a gemstone for me, excellent work!
  • ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
    @‌Tome Hi I wanted to know if you are still active, and if you are I wish to make a request. I have always thought that a player playing as an elf should be able to have a Moonblade, I read the forgotten realms books and I love Moonblades, I was thinking maybe a usable Moonblade for the player character, when you start a elf or half-elf character a monk will come to you with your Moonblade that was left to you by your mother (since obviously your father wasn't a elf lol) the blade will be in a dormant state and as you progress through the game you can unlock all the enchantments that were placed on the blade by your ancestors (maybe being able to pick which enchantments it gets to fit your play style) along with it being a + whatever weapon (maybe a BG:EE and BG2:EE version and when you transfer a character you can continue increasing its power along with adding your own enchantment) I haven't found any mods that lets the player do this and I thought it would be a great addition to the game not only for game play but in a RP point of view. Thank you for your time
  • ArilliusArillius Member Posts: 2
    This is probably going to be a little rude, but by any chance have you managed to finish Animus for BG2:EE?

I want to play a run through of the entire trilogy of games and I'm doing it with mods (First time playing the games ever, actually). One of the run throughs I absolutely want to play with Animus... But if Animus could continue into BG2:EE that would be even more amazing. So here's hoping you did work on it, or might be willing to again, I suppose!
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    @Tome Hi there, just posting to mention that the Animus download link in BWS appears to be broken.