Skip to content

Davaeorn with SCS

Does anyone have suggestion on how to beat him? It's crazy, lol.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Disarm traps on the way in, spread out your party, use spell thrust or secret word to take down his globe of invulnerability that makes him immune to most of his own spell arsenal and most spells you can cast.
  • broonofmidoribroonofmidori Member Posts: 32
    I've been using spell thrust, but its not taking down his buffs, and with his sequencer there seems to not be much I can do.
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 307
    The problem is that the fight is cheesy, but you're prohibited from cheesing it back, because if you take too long (I haven't timed it but I'd guess it's something like 20-25ish rounds) infinite numbers of guards start spawning at the entrance and move towards you.

That said, this is probably the best spot in the game to make use of Protection from Magic scrolls. Pick your best melee and best ranged fighter, have them protect themselves with a PfM scroll. Turn everyone else invisible via spell or potion, and (giving the finger to the cheesiness of infinite guard spawn) put them in a line at the entrance, so that they're blocking the path for the guards that will eventually spawn.

Have your two fighters go after Davaeorn. It's going to take a long time to grind through his protections, but you're completely safe from his spells, and even though he's nowadays got two Battle Horrors with him, your melee fighter should have a good enough AC to survive them for some time.

You can also do the above, but with your entire party. Buff up a little (but not crazily so, as one of Davaeorns first moves will be to cast Remove Magic on you), put up whatever summons you have available (at this point, that's typically only Animate Dead from your clerics), and charge. Once he uses up his Remove Magic, have everyone use either a PfM scroll or some magic protection potion. He'll waste his most powerful spells to no effect, and you can quickly dispatch his Battle Horrors while he's neutered, then focus fire him.
    This is essentially the same as the first tactic, except it uses up a lot more precious anti-magic resources.

There's also the ultra-cheesy way. Stand just outside his sight range and have everyone drop a fireball on him (necklace of missiles, wand of fire, potions). He might die if he rolls badly on his saves.

And finally the good old fashioned balls-to-the-wall approach. Buff up and charge. It'll probably end badly, but you can reload.
    Well the charging doesn't work because he just has web and stinking cloud on sequencer and I can't potion through that forever. I guess I can try the invisibility thing.
    Soo. I just gave dorn the boots of speed, put poison weapon up and then used an invis potion. He ran in, hit him once before he got his spells up and he died in about 3 seconds.... smh
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 307
    edited January 2014

Well the charging doesn't work because he just has web and stinking cloud on sequencer and I can't potion through that forever. I guess I can try the invisibility thing.

You're kind of stuck since you don't have a lot of tactical options (given that you typically have access to no more than 3rd level cleric/mage spells, and you're somewhat limited in what mage spells you find prior to reaching Baldur's Gate as well).

If you want to use your entire party (the non-cheesy approach), you can get around the sequencer by sending in skeletons, or any kind of summon really. Davaeorn will happily blow his sequencer on them. Wait for the stinking cloud and web to expire, then go after him. If he teleports right next to you, let him dispel you (this is why you apply some simple buffs beforehand, like bless, chant, remove fear etc, to "trick" him into dispelling you right away), then put up magic protections and start chasing him around.

Soo. I just gave dorn the boots of speed, put poison weapon up and then used an invis potion. He ran in, hit him once before he got his spells up and he died in about 3 seconds.... smh

All's well that ends well!
    edited January 2014
    I'd feel better about doing that if I was an assassin or something, since that's what they do. But they problem I had was if I let the web/cloud fade and then go after him I would just get an endless supply of bandits coming in by the time I could actually do anything. Or he'd teleport in and do a couple fireballs and a lightning bolt that would just bounce off all the walls and waste people, lol.

Maybe I'm just not that good, heh. I probably need to see if I can go in and adjust the scs settings some for mage ai so they don't just get all their buffs instantly, if I can figure it out..

Thanks for all the tips!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah the endless guards are pretty scary. I usually go invisible and reposition so that they aren't coming from behind, then use hit and run. If the guards are too many clear them out with a few fireballs.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Oh yeah, watch out for sunfire. IIRC Dave's offense is not terribly varied and stacking resists is usually enough if you don't want to blow a scroll of magic.

If you need to leave it's probably better to do so via the elevator so you aren't surrounded when you return.