Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Corey's Avatar Run - Update 8
    (by the way, in case there is confusion, while my party members represent forumites they are controlled by me, so if I say something like Alesia made a mistake, it wasn't @Alesia_BH making the mistake, but my control of the Alesia character that made the error. The forumites that these party members represent also have my character, and if they make their Corey make a mistake, that wasn't me but their control of my character. We did this everyone playing a party of other forumites 10 years ago on the BioWare forums (which are now defunct) and so we are having reunion runs.)

We have successfully made it out of Jon's dungeon without any problems to speak of. Corey's true sight is quite useful against the few mages in there, and Enuhal's summons were useful distractions for mephits with stun abilities. Fortunately, we did have enough gold to resurrect Grim Face and the party is re-united once again. Some basic equipment was given to Grim Face and we will venture into the Circus next session. With Corey's True Sight should be a piece of cake!
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    edited March 2023
    The Avatars 2023: Anniversary Edition

Heya! It’s me, Alesia! I’ve been gone for awhile, but some of you may remember me from the BioWare forums. To everyone else, it’s good to meet you. I hope we’ll have fun playing together!

I’d like to announce a run. Or, rather, a collection of runs by a group of players who are all well known here. But before I do that, I’d like to cover a little history. I hope you’ll bear with me.

The Baldur’s Gate No Reload Challenge has been in continuous operation for two decades now, dating back to the early 2000s. The BG2 NR Challenge was founded by Retet on the old, old BioWare forums. The Trilogy NR Challenge was founded by myself sometime after. When the old, old BioWare forums closed, G_Admiral_Thrawn and Corey_Russell started new threads for us on the successor BioWare forums. In 2015 Ygramul brought the tradition here to Beamdog, where it has been kept alive and vibrant by BioWare forum alumni and Beamdog players alike. Today, 25 years after the release of BG1, the Baldur’s Gate No Reload Challenge is still going strong. Two decades, three forums, two forum closures: And here we are, alive and well, enjoying this great game together. Hats off to all of us!

If there was ever a dark time in the NR Challenge’s history it was in 2013. Weeks had gone by without a single post. The thread seemed destined for extinction. A group of forumites stepped in with the intent of revitalizing the challenge. The Avatars were born. 6 single player runs. 6 forumites. 6 characters, with each of the characters based on the RL selves of each forumite. The characters were the avatars of our RL selves, hence the name. Six identical parties. Six very different players. Six unique adventures. The participants were myself, Gate70, Grond0, Serg_Blackstrider, The_Potty1 and USSNorway. Overnight, the thread went from no runs to six simultaneous interactive runs. It was a success. The challenge has been running strong ever since.

In honor of the 10th anniversary of The Avatars and the 20th anniversary of the No Reload Challenge, I am pleased to introduce The Avatars 2023. The participants are Corey_Russell, Enuhal, Grond0, Serg_Blackstrider and myself, Alesia_BH. Corey_Russell’s crew has already begun, as some of you may have noticed. In the upcoming days, Enuhal, Grond0, Serg_Blackstrider and I will submit our entry posts. I’ll introduce the characters here.

Alesia, half elven mage/thief, based on @Alesia_BH
    7zwfh7q07zs3.jpg

Corey, human inquisitor, based on @Corey_Russell
    hc9bz868y4xp.jpg

Enuhal, human totemic druid, based on @Enuhal
    da7eouv3d0dm.jpg

GrimFace, gnome cleric/illusionist, based on @Serg_Blackstrider
    miw94m99fnhw.jpg

Grond0 the Barbarian, dwarven barbarian, based on @Grond0
    63ouafn8tn3o.jpg

And so there they are! The Avatars 2023! You should expect posts from all of us, @Alesia_BH , @Corey_Russell , @Enuhal , @Serg_BlackStrider and @Grond0 in upcoming days. Best of luck to all the crews, to all the players! May all the runs be fun- however and wherever they may end! Good hunting, everyone!

Best,

A.

NW: If anyone else would like to participate, let us know! We have an open slot for another player. And for those of you who don’t have time to play, feel free to create a reserve character for us. Some of us will surely get chunked. We’d like to have some reserves to draw on. Just create a character and we’ll play it! Finally, there’s no reason why we couldn’t have a second Avatar crew- feel free to form another team, everyone! Reach out in the Adventurer’s Lounge if you’re interested!
    Post edited by Alesia_BH on
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 945
    edited March 2023
    The Avatars (Enuhal's version) - Introduction

All right, Alesia has already introduced the concept, Corey is already in SoA - this is my attempt at our avatar run. A short addition to the character screens: Both fighter-types start with a specializiation in longbows. Grond0 is additionally specialized in two-handed swords, Corey in bastard swords. I plan to train Corey in two-handed swords as well, while Grond0 will eventually switch to flails. Long term, more profiencies will follow, but there will be enough points to go around since none of them can go past specialization.

My settings for this run: Full SCS (without some economic options and without losing our gear in Spellhold) on insane (no extra damage) + Ascension. My only SCS insane success so far has been with a very optimized powergamy party, so this should be quite challenging. I'm not allowing myself to pick up NPCs (except in order to take some of their starting gear or to open the Planar Sphere), so no EE companion quest rewards this time around. I will, however, play SoD, unlike most of the other avatar runners.

In my run, Enuhal is the bhaalspawn. However, Corey will be the one to lead the party, as he has both the highest charisma and the ability to wear the heaviest armor.

Okay, let's get started: Since Alesia isn't very good at lockpicking yet, we have to use barbarian rage to get access to the potion of clarity. We do the Candlekeep quests and don't actually have enough gold to buy everyone their desired starting gear - Grond0 is lacking his sword, and we don't have a lot of ammo yet. After the ambush, we pick up items from Imoen, Montaron, Xzar, Gorion's body and the treestump, take out a diseased gibberling and move to the crossroads. There, Corey gets a ring of protection +1 and we face the belt ogre, who is simply shot down with our longbows. We make our way to the southern map border to unlock Beregost, taking out a few xvarts in the process, and travel north to FAI.

Going after Tarnesh is a bit of a risk, as his sleep spell is very threatening. However, after picking up a ring of wizardry and resting, we have a few tools at our disposal - a spirit snake, capable of poisoning him, barbarian rage on Grond0 for sleep immunity, true sight on Corey to counter his mirror image and, most importantly, command for a quick takedown and kill, and sunscorch as a backup with a blindness effect. We approach, start shooting and cast our spells - true sight counters MI, the command hits, and just before Tarnesh's sleep is going to affect our party, our arrows take him out:
    4ei5aa0154qn.png
    We have to wait around for a while after this fight, because most party members are asleep. After that, we use our own sleep spells to take down the hobgoblins outside, return Joia's ring, help the nobleman with his pantaloons, pick up a few quests and finally buy Grond0 his two-handed sword. We move to Beregost next, to our second fight against a low level wizard as we help Neera. This one works out in a similiar fashion - we sleep the guards and command the wizard:
    4fg5e5nc32au.png
    After taking the gem bag and robe from the wild mage, we deal with Karlat by blinding him. We lure the spiders out of Landrin's house and sleep them:
    k3b5za1jy14b.png
    After picking up more quests and buying a sling +1 for Enuhal, we leave - Silke can wait until later - while she doesn't pre-buff even with insane SCS in current versions, if something goes wrong, she can very quickly destroy a low level party. Instead, we move south, take down the letter-stealing ogrillons and leave the road to the west to get the boots of stealth with the help of a spirit snake, who takes some of the hobgoblin arrows for us. We plunder the cave and go further south, using sleep to clear up the hobgoblin camp. After picking up the familiy amulet, we enter Nashkel, get the ankheg armor for Corey and talk to Noober and Oublek. We also buy a stone to flesh scroll and turn to face Neira. Both sunscorch and blindness take hold, granting us victory:
    6jovmhfoidnh.png
    Finally, we turn in the family amulet, talk down Marl, get Firebead's book, deliver Mirianne's letter and return Landrin's posessions.

Next, we will be looking for some early experience points, as we are still level 1, and I want to reach level 3 on Enuhal and level 2 on Grim Face (illusionist) before taking on the basilisks.
    Post edited by Enuhal on
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Journal of Hilde the Holy Final Entry

The battles against the Grey Clan outside were touch and go, but I survived.

However inside High Sorceress Linda was too strong. She was near death and I could have run to the stairs and recovered, but deemed that I was about to be the victor. Not so. :'(
    @Wise_Grimwald . Sorry for your loss 😢

@Enuhal . Good stuff! Two of the five crews are now on the long road to The Throne. I’m pumped! 😀
    edited March 2023
    @Enuhal Nice write-up! Can't Grim Face use the heaviest armor too, once you get him the ogre gauntlets? Granted not often you would want to do that, as he then couldn't cast arcane spells. But armor could help him in like bandit ambushes - granted, you might want him without armor so he could use sleeps...but wearing armor using fireball wand would work then yes?

EDIT: Forgot to mention my "Enuhal" did use heavy armor, he used ankheg plate, though perhaps your install prevents that...
    edited March 2023
    @Corey_Russell Indeed - he actually has a set of armor in his inventory already that I plan to put on in specific situations, either when he's out of arcane spells anyway or when I know I won't use any of those, or when travelling (extra AC against potential bandit ambushes, as you mentioned). Most of the time, he's going without armor, though. Same is true for Alesia, she keeps around a set of leather armor for such situations for now.

Enuhal can use ankheg plate in my installation as well, but he's more of a backline support character for me until he gets defenses like ironskins, using summons and spells from a relatively safe distance. He has no hp bonus from constitution and only 1 bonus AC from dexterity, and as the bhaalspawn, he can't afford to die.
    Post edited by Enuhal on
    Corey's Avatar Run - Update 9
    Corey - human inquisitor, protagonist
    Alesia - half-elf mage/thief
    Grond0 - dwarven barbarian
    Enuhal - human totemic druid
    Grim Face - gnomish cleric/illusionist

Party has made some progress:

1) Circus problem solved. As expected, Corey's True Sight made this straight-forward.

2) Hendak and his fellow slaves were freed. Grond0 and Corey managed to "divide and conquer" by shooting the bears through the grates, but Grond0 had to gulp quite a few extra healing potions to do this, so it's unclear whether I actually gained in the long run. This did make it safer to deal with the beastmaster for sure though.

3) We entered the moored ship through the front door. We used some summon distractions and then used our ranged weapons to pick them off. Enuhal's fire elemental was vicious as most enemies couldn't even hurt it. As usual, Alesia did great trap work. She tried to lay some traps herself but managed to hurt herself both times, she'll need to work on that skill...Hendak was pleased we freed the children all the same.

4) Suna Sunei attacked us, but with plague of insects, glitterdust and chaos, they had no chance as one would expect.

5) We have been using Cernd's home often to buff our mages without being caught by the Cowled Wizards.

6) Ran into Renfeld, so returned him to his people. A Priest of Cyric tried to stop us, but he had trouble since Corey couldn't be held..

7) Thieve's guild looted by Alesia. We went to Waukeen's Promenade and could JUST afford the hill giant belt for Corey - the extra strength is much appreciated. Finally we can carry heavy stuff like bodies, and Corey can finally carry all his equipment now.

Will keep at it...
    edited March 2023
    @Enuhal It's interesting right from gate our avatar parties have different starts. You used barbarian rage to open the clarity potion chest, and I used Alesia (lock-picking)...You gave Grond0 two hand sword, and I gave Grond0 axes and dual-wielding, which allowed my Grond0 to use throwing axes to great effect. I suspect though your choice of longbow is more helpful with your SCS install. I did give my Grond0 shortbow proficiency later.
    Mh. That's a bit strange. I didn't get to choose any profiencies upon creating my party, they were all pre-set for me in the imported character files (which is why my Alesia, with only 15 lockpicking, couldn't deal with the chest in question). Maybe we used a different process for our party creation.
    edited March 2023
    I used import from character file, isn't that what you used? Our installs are different, so guess behavior in basic EE is different than in yours.

EDIT: Incidentally, if you remember the original BG 1 and BG 2 made by BioWare, if you imported a .CHR file from BG 1, BG 2 HAD TO let you choose both skills and proficiencies, as both were different in those games. BG 1 had less weapons, and vanilla BG 1 also didn't have divided thief hiding skills that is you just had one stealth skills, not hide in shadows and move silently. And indeed, if you try to import a vanilla BG 1 .CHR file it MUST give you the options to choose weapons and skills.
    edited March 2023
    I did the same, importing the characters from their character files via the "create party" option, but once a character was created, the only things I could change were their appearance and their name. No options for proficiencies, thieving skills or anything else. SCS should have no effect on this, as far as I'm aware. In any case, it's a relatively minor difference, only relevant in the early game.

The Avatars (Enuhal's version) - Update I

So, my quest for early experience went a bit off the rails. I decided to go ankheg hunting. Why ankhegs? Well, ankhegs are famously relatively easy to command and/or sleep (with command working 100% of the time, and sleep having a pretty good chance), they grant a lot of experience, they'd give me access to an ankheg plate for Enuhal, and I figured that since they attack with tons of damage, but super slowly, the level 1 protection mechanic would be quite good at helping me survive in case of mishaps or mistakes. At one point during my musings, I did remember that they can deal two instances of damage at once (missle and acid) on a failed save, but for some reason, I just brushed that thought away.

Well, we talked to the fishermen and entered the ankheg cave. The first ankheg died during command. The second ankheg, however, survived the command duration because of low damage rolls from our party - and got to take one shot at Corey - he rolled a 20. While the next hit from Grond0 took down this ankheg, Corey's level 1 protection was unable to save him, with a failed save resulting in two instances of damage:
    3t08ffhjpu4t.png
    Enuhal and Grond0 leveled up. Luckily, raising a level 1 character isn't very expensive. We took this opportunity to procure an ankheg shell, which we could only carry with barbarian range. We stored it in Beregost (getting it from the edge of the map to a place to store it required throwing it from inventory to inventory for a bit). No money to make an armor out of it yet. We raised Corey, and despite my better judgement, I returned to the cave. The third ankheg, the last one preventing access to their stash, was successfully commanded and killed without getting an opportunity to attack. We used barbarian rage to carry the the body of the farmer's son and gave him some of our gold as well. On our way north towards the Baldur's Gate bridge, we encountered three more ankhegs - we got quite unlucky with our sleep spells, getting many successful saves, but only one of them was able to shoot once, hitting, but not killing Corey (Corey and Alesia had leveled up as well after the third ankheg in the cave). Enuhal used CLW on Corey, but wasn't able to quite get him to full HP, leaving him at 20. I encountered one final ankheg before reaching the edge of the map - I had rested in the meantime and another command was available, but this ankheg was able to attack before the command hit it - and he did exactly enough damage to kill Corey for a second time:
    s00dp20jifms.png
    We talked to Gerde, moved north to unlock the new map, and raised Corey again, this time for 200 gold. Let's not repeat this level 1 ankheg experiment.

We dealt some damage to Tenya:
    wk5stohucw0e.png
    The ankheg behind her house didn't get a chance to do anything, this time Grim Face was easily fast enough with his command. We moved north, cleared out the zombie farm but couldn't get the Cloak of Protection +1 yet because of lacking lockpicking skills on Alesia's part. It was at this point that I realized that I should have just used a spirit animal instead of Corey to approach any and all ankhegs. Oh well.

After taking down the fishermen and talking to Tenya again, Grond0, Enuhal and Grim Face (cleric) level up. Grond0 now gets his first spirit animal upgrade and spirit wolves that can't be petrified, but we still want a second mage level for Grim Face so he can cast PfP on the entire party before going for the basilisks. We travel to the lakeside and take out the half-ogres with sleep. Because I have an active level 3 spirit lion, I decide that taking on Teyngan's group is in the realm of possibility. We make sure to approach with the lion first, so Jemba uses her first spell on it - a strong magic missle, which hurts but doesn't kill our summon. Jemba has pre-buffed with armor, MI and minor spell deflection, which means that we have to use physical damage to get to her. The lion charges, Corey casts true sight, we shoot our arrows and bullets - she suffers from morale failure, interrupting her second spell and securing our victory:
    s2n8hfysvvdp.png
    Enuhal assists the fighters with an alicorn lance to take down the surprisingly tanky Teyngan, and the hobgoblin is the last to fall:
    qnz4z5yr23ac.png
    We move west, kill a hobgoblin, help out Drizzt, encounter an ogrillon and unlock the next area before returning to Beregost in order to turn in the half-ogre quest (new shield for Grim Face). We enter High Hedge, cast sleep on the gnolls, take Perdue's sword, summon a spirit lion to help us deal with a group of skeletons, kill the huge spider at the cabin and move west to unlock another area. We travel south and get ambushed by a few skeletons with ranged weapons, but they aren't able to deal significant damage to us while we flee:
    v8li2s2vn3ze.png
    In the Bassilus area, we kill some zombies, save Melicamp from a wolf, find a ghoul (Corey reaches level 3) and attack the three named hobgoblins to get Alesia a weapon. Zargal gets hit by sunscorch blindness, the other two are affected by sleep:
    uedyijjz63rb.png
    Before the sleep hits, Grim Face gets hit by a poisoned arrow, but Enuhal luckily has one instance of slow poison memorized along his alicorn lances:
    flbolek1clik.png
    The bhaalspawn follows up with an alicorn lance on Zargal to help the fighters out in finishing the blinded hobgoblin. We unlock the western area and leave Bassilus for later. He has access to a sixth level spell in SCS, and if it's an aerial servant, it can be absolutely deadly.

To get back to civilization, we travel to Brage and return him to Nashkel. On the way back to High Hedge to turn in Melicamp, we run into a bandit ambush, but as we have armor equipped on our vulnerable characters when travelling along the Lion's Way, none of the arrows hit as we flee the field. Melicamp survives:
    333o1e9vtqxq.png
    We return Perdue's sword. By now, Grim Face and Alesia have hit wizard level 2. Grim Face has 6 first level spells with his ring - enough PfP for everyone - and Enuhal has a summon that can't be petrified, so next time, we will go basilisk hunting.
    @Enuhal I figured it out! If you use the "Create Party" option in single player mode, you do NOT get to change the proficiencies or skills. However, if your import a .CHR in multiplayer mode (which is what I did), you DO get to change proficiencies and skills. I'm uncertain why single player locks out those options but there you go.
    edited March 2023
    The Avatars 2023: Anniversary Edition- Introductory Post

Hey there, hi there, everyone! I’m thrilled to be entering my Avatar crew into the No Reload Challenge. You know the party by now, but I’ll share the record of my character, Alesia, the Bhaalspawn in my crew, for reference.

2lct0osauhva.jpg

Proficiencies: Shortbow x 1, Short Sword x 1

Mods: SCS 34.3, Ascension 2.0.23, G3 Fixpack Optional but Cool: Free Action Protects Against Stun

Difficulty: Hardcore

Gaming Notes: Some of you may think of me as a decent BG player. Forget that. It has been six years since I’ve touched this game and I am, frankly, terrified. When I played I was mostly a soloist. My last party game was about eight years ago. That group did reasonably well. It was an all arcane crew that made it to the Throne in a SCS Ascension install on insane. They fell in the Melissan battle due to an erroneous spawn that was later determined to be a bug, now patched. That history might be reason for optimism. But it was a very different party. And did I mentioned it was 8 years ago? I am not the same player now. Don’t think of me as a seasoned veteran, but as a hapless neophyte. You’ll be closer to the mark.

So: What do I expect? I have no idea. But I hope I won’t get murdered by gibberlings two days from now. Wish me luck on that, lol.

RP Notes: My intention is to role play this adventure for as long as I can. Role played adventures can be charming. They can also be annoying. Please feel free to give me feedback. I aim to please.

So, without further adieux, let’s begin. Here’s a prologue to set the scene. Game play will follow.

The Prologue

If it weren’t for the failed harvest of 1363, none of us would have met. For the connection we share isn’t to each other, but to a place, and that connection to place wouldn’t have arisen had it not been for the famine.

The gnome, Serge Strider, was the nephew of the legendary dungeon crawler and tome seeker, Renegade Strider. Having supplied many of Candlekeep’s most prized volumes, Renegade was well positioned to secure a place for Serge within the Keep when the famine struck. In this, Renegade was envied, for many sought to place their kin at Candlekeep during those years. The fortress by the sea has long been rich in books, but also in grain.

Enuhal’s admission had been a matter of diplomacy. Under Ulraunt Candlekeep sponsored the expansion of farm lands into the neighboring Cloakwood Forest. This encroachment led to tensions with the local druids. Tethtoril’s offer to care for and tutor the promising orphan Enuhal, amidst the famine’s worst season, helped make the peace.

The impressive second son of a local family known for its hearty stock, Corey Russell dreamed of admission to the Order of the Radiant Heart. By all accounts he was on his way to making it- a grand accomplishment for one of common birth. But the famine struck during his prime growth years, and also posed a mortal threat to his younger siblings. By promising himself prematurely to the Watcher’s, instead of holding out for the Radiant Heart or some other vaunted league, Corey insured the survival of his kin, at the expense of his own ambitions. A true paladin indeed.

I, of course, have a story too. I’d share it with you if only I knew it. And so in lieu of my own tale, I’ll tell you another, the last of our stories, and surely the most spectacular.

It was late fall in the leanest of lean years. We at the Keep were ready for winter. Serge and I were in the courtyard, reading together as usual. A butterfly, a laggard of her kind's southward migration, landed on my knee. Suddenly I was in the mood for play, not study.

“Serge Strider, before I met you, I thought all gnomes were merry. But you are not merry at all. You are positively grim.¨

If Serge was annoyed by the distraction he did a good job of hiding it. “Positively grim… I quite like the sound of that, actually… But if I am grim, my gentle friend, perhaps it is because I am weary of being typecast by even my closest companions…”

For a moment I was tense, but then Serge’s left eyebrow darted high and I saw that mischievous glint in his eye. I chuckled. I was readying a devastating retort when we heard a cry from a far.

“You there! Approaching the gate! Declare your intentions!” a watcher yelled.

I slapped Serge excitedly on the knee. “Serge! Someone is trying to get in! Let’s watch! Race you to the ramparts, Grim Face!” And with that we were off.

From the ramparts we had a clear view of the action. There were two men, a surly looking red bearded dwarf and a dapper yet unsavory looking human with a villain’s mustache. The dwarf was pacing back and forth and grumbling, steaming mad; the unsavory looking man was gesturing and speaking calmly, trying to soothe. They were still far from the gate, but the watchers were ill at ease. Once the dwarf regained his composure, the two approached.

“You two! Stand where you are! Do not come closer!” yelled a watcher.

“Hey, Grim Face. I’ll bet you 10 coppers they both get in,” I whispered to Serge.

“Hmm. I’ll take that bet. Neither of them are getting in. I’m sure of it,” Serge replied.

“Fine, you’re on.” I said.

And with that, the unsavory looking man spoke: “Gentleman, gentleman, gentleman! I merely wish to speak. Surely you would not deny a well intentioned man the opportunity to speak? I am Gaticus Seventicus and this is my compatriot, Mortimer Humperdinck. It is getting cold out here, as you may have noticed, and we are growing thin. We seek entrance to the Keep, in advance of—“

“Beat it, dipstick! You know that’s not how it works!” scoffed a watcher. He was clearly hungover.

Gaticus Seventicus smiled. “Gentleman! I know that is not the policy. But I don’t believe I am speaking to Ulraunt and I’m certainly not speaking to Tethoril. I am speaking to two men who watch a gate, and with two men on a gatekeeper’s wage, I believe I can arrive at an accommodation—“

“We don’t take bribes, gibberling meat,” said the hungover watcher, spitting into the dirt.

That’s when the dwarf began pacing and stammering.

“Bribe is such an unpleasant word. I prefer to think of it as an enhancement of your well being. I am, as I said, a well intentioned man…” Gaticus said, slyly.

But by now the dwarf’s pacing and stammering were furious, and the watchers, growing ever more concerned, were paying more attention to him than Gaticus. Soon Gaticus’s words were drowned out by the dwarf’s rhythmic grunts.

“Grond! Grond! Grond! Grond!,” grumbled the dwarf.

“Hey, you ok? Calm down fellow, we’ll figure something out…” said the hungover watcher, now compliant.

But it was too late. The dwarf erupted.

“GROND!” He screamed, taking a wild swing with his two handed sword. I shut my eyes in terror.

I heard a sickening slicing sound, followed by a light thud. Shortly thereafter there was a slightly louder thud. Then silence

When I opened my eyes, Gaticus Seventicus’s head was laying on the ground, next to his body. Mortimer Humperdinck was covered in blood.

The dwarf resumed his rhythmic, low pitched grunts. “Grond. Grond. Grond.” And then -as if nothing had happened- he started pacing again.

The watchers, who had never faced real combat, turned to jelly. All they could do was cave and let the dwarf in. That is how Mortimer Humperdinck made his way into Candlekeep. But from that day on, no one has called him Mortimer Humperdinck. He is, and ever shall be, Grondo the Barbarian.

Six years ago, before the famine, none of us would have imagined that we’d find ourselves in the same room. And yet here we are, together, awaiting Gorion’s arrival at this impromptu emergency meeting. Serge, close by to my right, Enuhal and Corey, some distance away to my left. Grondo in the corner, facing the wall, muttering to himself.

I noticed Serge staring nervously at Grondo. I leaned toward Serge’s ear and whispered, “Hey, Grim Face: Have you ever wondered what happened to the body of Gaticus Seventicus? Tethoril would never have let Grondo stay if he knew what happened.”

Grim Face whispered back, “I don’t know what happened to the body, but I do know what happened to the head. Haven’t you noticed that deformed skull with the holes in it on Grondo’s hip?”

My jaw dropped. “No!”

“He didn’t have it on the day he arrived. Don’t you remember? Where else would he have gotten a human skull?”

“No! No! That’s Gaticus Seventicus?,” I gasped.

“It must be,” Grim Face replied, confidently.

“The next time I talk to Grondo, I’m going to say “Hey there, hi there, Grondo” and then I’m going to look at his hip and say “And hello to you, Gaticus Seventicus!” I want to see what he says”

“Alesia, how many times have I told you: Do not antagonize the barbarian- It’s bad for your health.”

“That’s fine. But you owe me 10 coppers”

“How do you figure?”

“Our bet. On the ramparts. Think about it. You didn’t pay up because we thought only Grondo made it in. But it turns our Gaticus Seventicus made it in too.”

Grim Face, suppressing a laugh, leaned in and said “I’m not paying. Not enough of him made it in.”

With that, the door creaked. We all stood at attention, even Grondo.

I leaned into Grim Face’s ear one last time and said: “Shhh! Gorion is here….And yes you are!”

Best,

A.
    @Alesia_BH A very creative write-up! But surely you'll get writer's cramp if you attempt to write that kind of detail the whole adventure (it's a long road from Candlekeep to Throne of Bhaal). From what I understand, SCS in BG 1 is manage-able and probably you can role-play them, but can you actually RP SCS encounters in BG 2? I can just see you approaching a mage, not expecting trouble and thus per RP unbuffed, but they do do a buff sequencer and you're like "Uh, oh!".

The other thing is trying to RP on SCS while at the same time very rusty at BG play seems like over-extending yourself. While I guess such mis-adventures might make for entertaining reading, your friends would like you to succeed. And by succeed I don't mean making it to ToB and defeating Melissan, but rather succeed in that you do better than you are expecting.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Avatars 2023 Grond0 run (update 1)
    most SCS options installed; playing on hardcore

My avatar run got under way with a successful exit from Candlekeep. Alesia's thieving skills were not yet up to most of the locks there, but Grond0 helped gather a bit of extra loot by using his rage to smash a few chests - allowing Alesia to loot them and use stealth to avoid potentially awkward questions from guards.

I don't generally believe in recruiting NPCs, but had no compunction about shooting down Imoen, Xzar & Montaron for their equipment. That tactic came unstuck in Beregost though when Neera refused to die from being shot at long range (she can be killed like that in the unmodded game). Although I hadn't really intended to do any of the EE content, I decided to allow the ambush. The Thayan wizard was immediately blinded by Grim Face, making the fight easy.
    sxrmay2g75mn.jpg
    I still didn't recruit Neera though, partly because in an earlier EE installation she was unkillable in the ambush, but was vulnerable after that had finished. However, in this installation she continued to be able to shrug off damage and walked off with the gem bag. That would be a bit annoying when playing solo, but is much less of an issue with 5 lots of inventory to play with.

After purchasing some magical ammunition I returned to High Hedge and attacked the golem guards there. That's safe in the unmodded game, so long as you haven't talked to Thalantyr, but I was a bit concerned about the impact of mods - this time though nothing untoward happened.
    9iq67ttmk9vk.jpg
    Next, we travelled down to Nashkel (during the day to avoid bandit ambushes) to pick up some ankheg armor for Corey and allow Grond0 to add to the party's healing potential with Bhaal CLW. That's more important for me than for other avatar runs as I'm using my standard rules of not allowing healing potions (or any other form of item based healing) or antidotes. I took the opportunity while there to attack Neira - she failed to save against a command.
    27h0xbtt2kfh.jpg
    Moving north from the Carnival, we shot down some xvarts to save Arabelle.
    eci274lyy4ag.jpg
    Then we went on to find Arghain. Sleep proved less effective than hoped there against the other half-ogres, but after a bit of running round Arghain was commanded and shot down.
    u5qpyhmt3a7y.jpg
    The remaining half-ogres then didn't last long and one of them proved to have a PfP scroll - pity that I'd just paid for one of those for Alesia at High Hedge ;). Corey went alone into the nearby cave, to avoid triggering the web trap while dragging the ettercap outside to be shot. That gave Grond0 and Enuhal the XP to level up, but I decided to apply my normal party rule of no favorites - no-one can level up until everyone is able to do so.

I moved across the map in order to open up the route to Firewine Bridge. I was a bit scared about coming across lots of SCS kobolds on that route and stuck closely to the edge of the map to be able to retreat if necessary. Alesia did see a kobold commando out of the corner of her eye at one point, but was able to keep running without giving it a chance to attack. At Firewine, a spirit lion did its job of spotting a group of kobolds and Grim Face managed to disable most of those with a sleep. A second group of kobolds were largely dealt with by a further sleep, allowing us access to Meilum. Unlike in unmodded he was willing to switch targets, so Corey had to be careful several times when re-acquiring him - but eventually our missile weapons told. I decided to give the bracers to Grond0, as a treat for the Bhaalspawn.
    c79g4gzqo1op.jpg38b5rohfper9.jpgm9a4h9av7j3q.jpg
    On the way back to civilisation we stopped off at Gullykin where more barbarian rage allowed Grond0 to acquire another +1 sling - ensuring neither of our divine types would feel aggrieved at being left out. Then we travelled on to the FAI, stopping off to pick up a couple of belts from a sleeping ogre on the way. Alesia got struck by lightning there - the only damage taken by the party in the session.
    k79ucpzm2asb.jpg
    At the FAI Tarnesh was blinded before he could try any attacking moves.
    u7v4z824svvn.jpg
    We also recovered a ring for Joia (picking up yet another PfP scroll from a hobgoblin there).

Heading north again, we shot Sonner for the bowl, but left the other fishermen (you get more XP for returning the bowl than killing them all). The logic for that encounter is morally ambiguous, but I find a simple solution for that sort of conundrum is "kill them all" >:). In Tenya's case she failed to resist a command and was slaughtered before she could finish teleporting away with her bowl.
    95qy5rgczm8s.jpg
    Her death gave Grim Face the XP for a cleric level, meaning everyone could level up. The session ended by commanding the nearby ankheg then taking its shell back to Beregost. Cash was in short supply, so the shell was stored to prevent Grond0 from walking around encumbered. Corey took the opportunity to loot a magical bastard sword from the smithy, after Grond0 had smashed the lock, though it will probably still be a while before that gets much use.

Grond0 - barbarian L2, 26 HPs, 34 kills
    Corey - inquisitor L2, 24 HPs, 24 kills, 0 deaths
    Grim Face - cleric/illusionist L2/1, 12 HPs, 7 kills, 0 deaths
    Alesia - mage/thief L1/2, 9 HPs, 7 kills, 0 deaths
    Enuhal - totemic druid L2, 16 HPs, 12 kills, 0 deaths
    edited March 2023
    When I came across this image, I thought - definitely Chaotic Evil, but should it be a Berserker or a Blackguard?

Journal of Tusker the Half-orc Blackguard

Because of my orcish looks and temperament I am despised by human society, so it is hardly surprising that I became a follower of Bahgtru, an orcish god who welcomed me wholeheartedly, particularly as I am both stronger and tougher than most. I lost reputation by killing a watcher for his plate armour, but gained it by helping Sir Trun with his love life. I have now been ambushed and Gorion is dead. :( His killers had better watch out! Killing the watcher was good for experience but not so good for my health. However I survived long enough to get my health restored in the training room.

tvxn87ozhbpe.jpg

It cost me nothing to help Mellicamp and so inirectly the rescue was quite profitable. :)

ujckm20d3b3m.jpg

Delivering a letter that I found also turned out to be advantageous.

svqyccqwv4qb.jpg

After finding a trinket engraved with the name Colquetle I met another half-orc, one who strangely had no desire to fight.

Lord Foreshadow gave me a ring, one that boosts my charisma to 18. :)

I found some excellent ankheg armour in Nashkel. I needn't have killed the Watcher after all!

I then talked to Noober who is lucky that I clave not his skull with my axe!

I clave Zargos Flintblade's skull in twain and then did the same to Greywolf.

3o30xo6ach1d.jpg
    mq217opay7a9.jpg

I returned the Colquetle amulet and slept. I now have an average reputation despite doing virtually everything to benefit myself. Zargos was carrying a +1 Axe. A most welcome addition to my armoury.

@Alesia_BH A very creative write-up! But surely you'll get writer's cramp if you attempt to write that kind of detail the whole adventure (it's a long road from Candlekeep to Throne of Bhaal). From what I understand, SCS in BG 1 is manage-able and probably you can role-play them, but can you actually RP SCS encounters in BG 2? I can just see you approaching a mage, not expecting trouble and thus per RP unbuffed, but they do do a buff sequencer and you're like "Uh, oh!".

The other thing is trying to RP on SCS while at the same time very rusty at BG play seems like over-extending yourself. While I guess such mis-adventures might make for entertaining reading, your friends would like you to succeed. And by succeed I don't mean making it to ToB and defeating Melissan, but rather succeed in that you do better than you are expecting.

Some very valid points Corey. I find it difficult enough role playinG BG1 without SCS!!

However, I have enjoyed playing Tusker who reacts differently to my normal characters. Trying to pick a fight with the half-orc fromn Romantic Encounters ended just the same, but with different dialogue. :) I liked that!
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    edited March 2023
    @Alesia_BH The roleplaying is atmospheric and makes for a fun read, though it is a lot of work - I would propably give up after ~5 posts, but if you have the stamina to continue, feel free to do so :smile:

@Grond0 Great work so far!

The Avatars (Enuhal's version) - Update II

We travelled along the southern part of the temple, taking out a large group of hobgoblins along the way. In the basilisks area, Grim Face buffed everyone with PfP, we recruited Corax, summoned our spirit wolf, took down the first basilisk to the east and buffed with remove fear and bless to prepare for Mutamin. The gnome has MI amongst his pre-buffs, Corey counters with true sight:
    6qklrqagb4qv.png
    He is still able to finish his first spell with the party shooting arrows/bullets and the spirit wolf + Corax quickly approaching. It's remove magic, centered on Grond0. The barbarian has the movement speed to move away from the party, though not in time to prevent Alesia from getting hit as well. Grond0 and Alesia lose their PfP, so they have to stay back for now. Meanwhile, Corax is able to paralyze Mutamin, sealing his fate:
    2vaojih5eipa.png
    We take down the basilisks plus further basilisks to the north, rescue the statue and avoid the hostile party for now. Pretty much everyone levels up. Since I can't say for sure that PfP will last long enough, I decide to rest before taking on the southern basilisk group, which means I have to kill Corax. We still can re-summon our spirit wolf, though, and take down these foes as well:
    z8c98e33py8n.png
    We end up with level 4 for everyone, except Alesia (mage level 3) and Grim Face (3/3).

Next, we move to Arghain to get a weapon for Grond0, use sleep for his allies and also for the cow-molesting xvarts:
    evouivhv983n.png
    Alesia disarms the trap in the ettercap cave, lures the monster outside and we take it down. Grim Face gets cleric level 4.
    We rest before challenging the ogre camp to the east, using sleep for most monsters and blindness effects for the berserker:
    sf5shrzos2y1.png
    Enuhal reaches level 5, which is a big boost - we get access to call lightning (and the option to use strength of one, which will be a supremely powerful buff for this non-optimized party), but more importantly, level 5 spirit lions, who have 3 APR with thac0 12 and are immune to charm amongst other things. We also take down Ioin:
    f2yx83n4qdoo.png
    Back in Beregost, we buy some ammo, the excellent shortbow for Alesia and we decide to take on Silke now. We are able to interrupt her first spell, and our spirit snake poisons her:
    ql0vu9sv7mx7.png
    After that, Grim Face even manages to silence her, so victory is ensured. We travel back to Brage's area, help with the digsite and take down Baruk, sleeping his kobold commandos:
    925cdt93ryat.png
    On the way to the outside of the Nashkel mines, we encounter the Dorn ambush - we quickly move to the south to avoid getting involved too much, taking advantage of the fact that Dorn can't die here:
    0aa8zlcda8fx.png
    We pick up the wand of frost and deal with Greywolf. Hold person fails, but sunscorch does the job and blinds him:
    ydt4i6106ffl.png
    We move east, picking up a fire protection ring for Enuhal and helping Samuel (once again carrying him via barbarian rage). Back to FAI.
    A short visit to the carnival resulted in us shooting a thief, stealing/buying some potions, a necklace of missles and encountering Zordral - there is no room to move here, and we can still easily fall to sleep, so we have to move inside and outside the tent to counter his first two spells, meanwhile using true sight against his MI:
    liq4f3dgtxzl.png
    As we go back in the third time, we go for the kill and are able to disrupt his next spell:
    fhyk3spe2rnw.png
    Next up, the xvart village. No trouble here - the xvarts swarm together, we cast sleep, they block a chokepoint, we use some spell to take down the bear:
    kx6chq01x8oa.png
    Propably the weakest call lightning I've ever seen. We obtain some AC bracers for Alesia when commanding down a second bear. Moving to the western Cloud Peak Mountains, we summon a spirit lion and take down Ludrug, Caldo and Krum - now this is a better call lightning!
    zxz9kn73dlid.png
    New club for Enuhal, new belt for Corey. We clear the wolf cave and help Drienne before moving to the gnoll fortress. After getting Corey the gauntlets of dexterity, his defenses are looking very promising at this point. We also get him the charisma tome and fight our way to free Dyanheir for some bonus experience. Easy enough - better calls for help means that almost all of the gnolls will move towards the stairs eventually, where we herd them together for some massive sleep spells:
    5v9f90gyt67a.png
    At this point, we are getting a carrying capacity problem - we have no identify spell yet, as spell learning is very difficult with our wizard's intelligence stats. Since I will need a lot of potions for guarateed spell learning, I want to wait until I have the gold to learn quite a few vendor scrolls as well. We deposit a bunch of magical items in Beregost and move to the eastern Cloud Peak Mountains. We face Sendai and are able to blind one of her archers while taking down the other one:
    hdb9w3z0xxrv.png
    Call lightning almost kills her, and we take down the entire group with no trouble:
    171uqst8hgm8.png
    After helping Albert we take on Vax and Zal with a direct assault. A group of kobolds tries to intervene, but we sleep them. Sadly, no encounter with winter wolves so far, and I don't want to randomly explore just to have the chance of encountering one. We move north of the gnoll fortress, blinding the polar bear:
    meajj41981tz.png
    New boots for Corey. Talking to Neville, I klick the wrong dialogue options, causing him to give up - we want his dispel magic scroll though, so we kill him while he's walking away:
    wsd8xybmr7wd.png
    We clear the bridge, using blindness and sunscorch on the ogre berserkers:
    jkcpjq4q619y.png
    Laurel gets help for her gibberling hunt, mainly from our sleep spells:
    nza5tp1qqge3.png
    Our next and final target for this session is Bassilus. We pick the correct dialogue and make sure to check his pre-buffs. Grond0, the one who triggers his dialogue, moves away right away, leaving only a spirit lion as his first target. He has blade barrier, but no aeriel servant - very good:
    4tsubwrn508s.png
    As expected, his first spell targets the spirit lion - a deadly flamestrike, which kills our summon - however, the party is now out of sight, and he doesn't follow us, instead buffing up a bit more (including with chant, which is more likely to hurt him due to the IWD movement speed reduction). We wait until his undead all crumble and his blade barrier runs out (I can tell from the sound effect - it's very loud, even noticable while out of sight). We equip some better ammo (fire arrows, excellent arrows) and move in. Grond0 gets the interrupt with fire arrows as we cast silence and call lightning:
    3xbsqn964hvu.png
    Silence works:
    l060qgodale2.png
    Victory is ours:
    j9fphu3f07tl.png
    New weapon for Grim Face! With some of the gold, we buy an AoP +1 for Enuhal and a large shield +1 for Corey. At some point earlier, Alesia also got enough lockpicking to pick up the fine bastard sword from the smithy and the cloak of protection +1 from the zombie farm. We also buy some +2 arrows and bullets of fire +1. It seems like we have learned our lessons from the failed ankheg hunt - things are running smoothly for now.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited April 2023
    Looks like I'm the last one on the party, a laggard of our kind, with everyone else way ahead of me already. Just as usual... Oh, well (sigh)

Anyway, let me introduce myself - I'm Grim Face. The same guy who refuses to pay his losing bets by making up some bullshit excuses...

And better later than never I'm entering the 10th anniversary of the first Avatars run - The Avatars II: Reunion.
    epvvdup8a76a.png

Proficiencies: Sling x 1, War Hammer x 1

Setup: Original BGT v1.22, TobEx with some notable gameplay tweaks, like *Apply Concentration Check On Damage*, *Awaken On Damage*, *Blindness As Spell Description*, *No Spell Interruption On Zero Damage* etc.

Mods: SCS 34.3 (full AI enhancements and Tactical Challenges), Ascension 2.0.23, G3 Fixpack Optional but Cool: Free Action Protects Against Stun, some G3 tweaks.

Difficulty: ingame difficulty slider set on Core (no extra damage received) and fine-tuning SCS with ingame special ability to Hardcore/Insane (full pre-buffing for mages/priests, HLAs for especially powerful casters throughout the game)
    WeiDU:
    // Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #100 // TobEx - Core: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #101 // Apply Concentration Check On Damage [WIP]: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #102 // Awaken On Damage: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #103 // Blindness As Spell Description: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #105 // No Spell Interruption On Zero Damage: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #111 // Disable Silence On Charm: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #113 // Remain Hidden On Pickpocket Success [C]: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #114 // Rest Spawns Advance Time: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #115 // Dialogue Greeting Subtitles: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #116 // Enable Animation Attack Sounds: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #117 // Universal Four Inventory Weapon Slots: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #118 // Subtitles For Standard Soundsets: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #120 // Drop Inventory on Disintegrate: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #121 // Drop Inventory on Frozen Death: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #122 // Drop Inventory on Stone Death: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #123 // Enable Auto-Pause On All Screens: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #124 // Make All Attack Animations Genuine Attacks: Beta 0025
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v13
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #115 // Paws from Shapeshifting Can Not Be Dispelled: v13
    ~BGT/BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: v1.22
    ~BGT/BGT.TP2~ #0 #1 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Music -> Full Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast Music: v1.22
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Rewritten Final Chapter of Throne of Bhaal: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #10 // Balthazar can be redeemed: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #20 // Improved Sarevok-Player Interactions: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #30 // Improved Imoen-Player Interactions in Throne of Bhaal: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #40 // Restored Bhaalspawn Powers: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #50 // Improved Slayer Transformation: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #60 // Expanded Epilogues for Bioware NPCs -> David Gaider's expanded epilogues for Bioware NPCs: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Tougher Abazigal: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Tougher Balthazar: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1200 // Tougher Demogorgon: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1300 // Tougher Gromnir: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1400 // Tougher Illasera: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1500 // Tougher Yaga-Shura: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Full-body portrait for Bodhi: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Alternate Balthazar portrait, by Cuv: 2.0.23
    ~ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2400 // Slightly improved cutscenes, by DavidW: 2.0.23
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Alter HP Triggers for NPC Wounded Dialogues: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Improved Multi-Player Kick-out Dialogues: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1130 // Reputation Resets in BG2 (BGT Only): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1161 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash) -> Keep Class Restrictions: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1220 // Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1230 // Allow Cespenar to Use Cromwell Recipes: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not complain about reputation) -> NPCs Can Be Angry About Reputation but Never Leave (Salk): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3123 // NPCs Don't Fight: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3170 // No Drow Avatars On Party In Underdark: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values: v16
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1500 // Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1510 // Include divine spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2900 // Move or modify some overpowered magic items: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Replace +1 arrows and other projectiles with nonmagical "fine" ones: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3021 // Replace many +1 magic weapons with nonmagical "fine" ones -> Fine weapons are immune to the iron crisis: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3041 // Reduce the number of Arrows of Dispelling in stores -> Stores sell a maximum of 5 Arrows of Dispelling: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3501 // Standardise spells between BG and BG2 -> Introduce BG2 spell scrolls into BG1: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3540 // Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at 1.5 x their level (not twice their level): 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3550 // Increase the power of Cure Wounds and Cause Wounds spells to the level found in 3rd Edition D&D -> Spells heal or inflict a random amount of damage (1d8 per level of the spell, plus 1 point per caster level, to a maximum of 5 points per spell level): 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // More realistic wolves and wild dogs: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 2/3 the normal rate: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4150 // Allow the Cowled Wizards to detect spellcasting in most indoor, above-ground areas in Athkatla: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4210 // Randomise the maze in Watcher's Keep: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4215 // Remove unrealistically helpful items from certain areas: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4230 // Delay the arrival of the "bonus merchants" in the Adventurers' Mart and the Copper Coronet: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4240 // Treat mages' and priests' High-Level Abilities as innate abilities rather than memorisable spells (each may be taken only once): 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Smarter Mages: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6040 // Smarter Priests: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Potions for NPCs: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly smarter carrion crawlers: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6500 // Improved golems: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6510 // Improved fiends and celestials: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6520 // Smarter genies: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6540 // Smarter dragons: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6550 // Smarter beholders: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6560 // Smarter mind flayers: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6570 // Smarter githyanki: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6580 // Improved Vampires: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6590 // Smarter Throne of Bhaal final villain: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6800 // Smarter Illasera: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6810 // Smarter Gromnir: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6820 // Smarter Yaga-Shura: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6830 // Smarter Abazigal: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6840 // Ascension versions of Irenicus and Sendai use SCS abilities and AI: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6850 // Ascension demons use SCS abilities and AI: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7030 // Improved kobolds: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity assassins: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7150 // Improved Carsa/Kahrk interaction: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8000 // Make the starting dungeon slightly harder: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8010 // Improved Shade Lord: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8020 // Spellcasting Demiliches: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8040 // Tie difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings to the difficulty slider: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8050 // Improved Random Encounters: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8060 // Improved de'Arnise Keep ("Tactics Remix"): 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8070 // Improved Unseeing Eye: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8080 // Improved Bodhi: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8085 // Ascension version of Bodhi uses Improved-Bodhi abilities: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8090 // Party's items are taken from them in Spellhold: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8100 // Improved battle with Irenicus in Spellhold: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8110 // Improved Sahuagin: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8120 // Improved Beholder hive: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8140 // Improved Drow: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8150 // Improved Watcher's Keep: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8160 // Improved Fire Giant temple: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8170 // Improved Sendai's Enclave: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8180 // Improved Abazigal's Lair: 34.3
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8190 // Improved Minor Encounters: 34.3
    ~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // Shield of Reflection works on SCS Flame Arrows: v3.1a
    ~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #100 // Check for and fix incorrect spell animations: v3.1a
    ~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #201 // Add spell school notifications to the combat log -> All spells with a casting time greater than 1: v3.1a
    ~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #300 // Add expiration notifications for buffs: v3.1a
    ~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #600 // Add expiration notifications for item buffs: v3.1a
    ~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #700 // Allow Spell Shield to block Wish Breach and Mordenkainen's Disjunction: v3.1a
    ~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinity Animations: v5 BWP Fix
    ~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #25 // Humanoid Animation Fixes: v5 BWP Fix
    ~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #500 // More Base Animations: v5 BWP Fix
    ~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #8030 // BG1 Animations for NPCs -> Most relevant creatures: v5 BWP Fix
    ~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #9000 // Fix Areas -> Creature References: v5 BWP Fix
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #101 // 1ppv4: Core paperdolls
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #103 // 1ppv4: Extended palette entries -> Full install (recommended)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #105 // 1ppv4: Avatar fixes
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #106 // 1ppv4: Female Dwarves -> Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves - Baldur's Gate II
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #200 // 1ppv4: Core content patches
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #204 // 1ppv4: Colourable Quarterstaves
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #205 // 1ppv4: Legacy Shields
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #206 // 1ppv4: Additional Shield Animations (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #207 // 1ppv4: Wizards' Staves (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #208 // 1ppv4: Additional Helmet Animations (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #210 // 1ppv4: Increased paperdoll object variety (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #400 // 1ppv4: Core updates and item patches
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #401 // 1ppv4: Improved projectile effects
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #300 // 1ppv4: Fixed animations for solars and elementals
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #301 // 1ppv4: Miscellaneous content fixes
    ~TUTUGUI/SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurs Gate I GUI for Tutu, SoA/ToB, or BGT
    ~TUTUGUI/SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #1 // Support for The Biggs widescreen mod
    ~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ #0 #0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.2
    ~A7-AUTOHASTE/SETUP-A7-AUTOHASTE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Increase party movement speed outside combat -> By 100 percent: 1.0
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #200 // Colorize icon of not memorized scrolls: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #300 // Hide 'Write magic' button for already known spells and for opposition schools: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #430 // Show Hit Points on NPC/Party ('tab' pressed) -> Enemy + Ally/Summon/Charmed + Party: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #530 // Weapon Damage info on Record screen: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #700 // Show Total Roll on Character Generation screen: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #820 // Journal with folding quests -> Original text area: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Smart Hand Off Slot: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #1140 // Show Character's active effects on right mouse click -> Equipped items & Casted spells, show remaining time: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #1200 // Extended Items/Quest/Spell/WorldMap messages: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #1320 // Extended roll/damage combat text -> Type of damage + THAC0 + Armor Class + Damage/Saving throw calculation: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #1400 // Do not clear Drained Spell Slots: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #1580 // Show Hit Points/Action on Portrait -> Hit Points ('tab' pressed) + Action (always) (recommended): 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #2500 // Shift Subtitles Below Movie Frame: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #2900 // Spell Sequencer Panel: 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Innate/Ability/Spell Description Screen on Right Click (includes Icon/Item Abilities/Tooltip fixes and Innate/Ability text update by Prozh): 5.6
    ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI/BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #3600 // Show Float NPC Names ('Alt' key): 5.6
    ~LOLFIXER/SETUP-LOLFIXER.TP2~ #0 #1 // Creature Stuff - Creature Resource Fixer: 19022016
    ~LOLFIXER/SETUP-LOLFIXER.TP2~ #0 #5 // Creature Stuff - MAJESTIC Creature Fixer: 19022016
    ~LOLFIXER/SETUP-LOLFIXER.TP2~ #0 #7 // Item Stuff - Item Resource Fixer: 19022016

Gaming Notes: since I don't like to skip game content this is going to be a completionist run (like I always play games) with full exploration and all (I mean ALL) foes should be dealt with one way or another. I deny a notion *don't take an unnecessary risk in no-reload game* as I prefer to get a full experience with it rather than to have a 'final prize'. I'm going to let us join with NPCs temporary if only to take some of their juicy belongins or escort them to safer locations (like to save Imoen from Irenicus dungeon/Spellhold or take Valygar to open Planar Sphere). Considering all this and my usual tempo with playing games do not be surprised if you'll see @Enuhal already tackling with Mel at the Throne while my Crew still deliver Mirianne's letter or returns Landrin's posessions...

EDIT: I also have some self-imposed rules of fair play:

- do not attack neutral characters, even if you know by metagaming that the fight is inevitable;
    - if your opponents are able to use SCS pre-buffing - let them fire’em all before attacking and do not interrupt (none of them prevented you from preparing for the battle);
    - do not use green scrolls of protection (specifically Protection from Magic green scroll) offensively (they are not meant for that);
    - do not abuse *switching areas going through the doors back and force* only to drain your opponents of spells;
    - try to explore and clean an area in one go when you’ve first entered it (so I have to choose carefully where to go and when);
    - do not use *out of sight attacks*, i.e. you can scout, prepare (buffs, AoE spells etc.) and then show yourself to your foes.

9e7qlfxj7hmq.png
    Post edited by Serg_BlackStrider on
    edited March 2023
    @Serg_BlackStrider I'm excited to see you in action!

So everyone knows, in the first edition of the Avatars exactly one crew made it to The Hall of Heroes and that crew was Serg's. It's one of my all time favorite NR Challenge runs. I'm looking forward to this one!

And btw, Serg, I hope you weren't offended by my portrayal of Grim Face in my prologue. In case it wasn't clear, Grim Face is Alesia's bestie. They're tight. The teasing that goes on between them is good natured, possibly flirty.

As for the bet, Grim Face is 100% in the right. Alesia is clearly being ridiculous. Alesia bet that Grondo and Gaticus would both get in. Grim Face bet that neither of them would. Since only one of them got in, no one won the bet. Nonetheless, years later, Alesia is trying to claim victory just because Grondo snuck Gaticus's severed head through the gate. Totally absurd.
    edited March 2023
    @Enuhal I can't believe you had us in the ankheg lair at level 1. You're tough on Corey the Inquisitor, lol.

@Grond0 Solid start! Looking good!
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    @Alesia_BH: What offence are you talking about? I pretty much love how you've portraited my character in your prologue! =) I could never do it better, it's so natural, so close, that I even somewhat shivered when I've read it. It's just like you can see me through! Fantastic!
    Glad to hear it! :)
    edited March 2023
    Journal of Tusker the Half-orc Blackguard

I headed back up to the ankheg nest where I killed Leila's ex-husband and an ankheg.

a8trk6n46m80.jpg
    t6c1cs9hdyjj.jpg

I reunited Albert and Rufie before heading west to kill Vax and Zal, Caldo and Krumm.

I reunited 'Drienne with her cat and killed some gnoll before returning to Lathander's Temple where I killed numerous wolves and the like.
    upsx8fa0mev8.jpg
    fsg7p2sbdpcl.jpg

Near High Hedge I killed a werewolf.
    brid2a4iyaer.jpg

After picking up Samuel I killed Hafiz.
    fo04rg204p76.jpg

Gellana helped Samuel and I killed Tarnesh.

f72bnpnmny4u.jpg

I killed several ankheg and then Zordral..
    rncgc775rmds.jpg

tx85g5h8qfux.jpg

I then visited the gnoll stronghold. An assassin there hwas carrying quite a good axe. :)

zbbat53nbyk5.jpg
    9qachgpdg438.jpg

Now time that I was in bed. :)
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Corey's Avatar Run - Update 10

So the group did the Maevar quests:

1) Luckily we were able to do the 1st Maevar task at night, so we didn't need to kill the Talos priestess and Alesia was able to pick a lock to get the necklace, she didn't have to try a risky pick-pocket.

2) Next task was the Cowled Wizard. Although we had to get past his mephits first. Fortunately, plague of insects worked quite well here. We buffed before taking on the golems, got hurt a little bit but prevailed. Grond0 was given anti-mage buffs by Grim Face and Grond0 did his job and took down the wizard. Stonefire interrupted a number of spells so that was helpful. Edwin was pleased by our success.

3) Next up get some documents. With Corey's 20 CHA piece of cake.

4) Embarl was spared, we just took his dagger and gave to Maevar. Then Edwin pointed us to where we can get the evidence we need for Bloodscalp. We turned in the evidence and now we need to take on Maevar's gang. While we did have some skeleton distractions, we had one scary moment when a backstab dropped Alesia to 20% health. But she did mirror image and stoneskins and kept intact.

5) For Maevar himself, a lion and a fire elemental did most of the work. We reported our success and Bloodscalp gave us our reward.

6) Now we have some money, so we splurged for the fortress shield for Grond0 so he can take a bit less damage.

7) We decided to head to Trademeet and try to deal with the genies. We did the usual protection from petrification on everyone. Some basic buffs like bless and haste. We had a few summon distractions in the tent as well. The genies fell quickly and Corey appreciated the Shield of Harmony to boos his defense and give him some immunities.

We will probably check out the druid grove next session.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited March 2023
    Avatars 2023 Grond0 run (update 2)
    most SCS options installed; playing on hardcore
    Previous updates Good to see plenty of progress elsewhere. I was struck by how well @Enuhal is going - perhaps that suggests there was a Freudian slip of the wand against his avatar in this session ;).

We completed a bit more work in Beregost by handing back an amulet to Mr Colquetle and a letter to Mirianne. Karlat failed to survive a command on the way to return Perdue's sword. I also slept some spiders - 3 of them slumping unconscious while the 4th was rather amusingly stuck behind the others while I indulged in target practice.
    ba8zxelr0g7k.jpg
    Unlike in Enuhal's run I decided the odds were sufficiently in my favor to take on Silke at this stage as well. She was successfully blinded both by Grim Face and a first use of Sunscorch from Enuhal - but I think she would have died anyway from the general shooting that followed.
    xisqgds20la0.jpg
    That meant Enuhal became the 3rd character to receive a proficient melee weapon.

After handing items over to Landrin and picking up the pantaloons, we returned to the ankheg area. A command will always beat their initial attack (so long as you are sighting them for the first time) and usually give a kill - Corey dual-wielding to take advantage of bonuses vs missile weapons made that more likely. A second command could of course be used if necessary. Hacking a way to the treasure trove was enough for everyone to level up once more.
    q5f3y2dqyav7.jpg
    The rest of the nest was cleared and I liked the look of the invisibility scroll one of the ankhegs dropped - but Grim Face failed to learn that despite his specialist mage bonus. Even with SCS, ankhegs are stupid - but I wasn't sure how many would spawn on random encounter points and if there were more than 2 things could have got chancy. Thus we just used a spirit bear to help kill a couple of the specific ones in order to claim a reward from Gerde (every little helps), but left the rest of the area alone.
    csiy3eunvh0d.jpg
    I paid 4,000 gold to get a second set of ankheg plate made before heading for the basilisk area. Unlike ankhegs, I thought the modded basilisks would seek out weaknesses in the party. When playing solo I would be tempted to work round that, but accuracy of movement in a party is much more difficult and I decided to use mage protection on everyone. The southern group of basilisks didn't last long, with the greater one blinded and then commanded for easy disposal. After resting, a few more were shot down in the north and everyone was able to level up once more.
    1tk4brbexjva.jpg
    Mutamin came out in support of the last 2 basilisks, but he was immediately dispelled, then blinded by a sunscorch. Corey stayed in melee for a few seconds to occupy the basilisks, while the others finished off Mutamin.
    uyrkv14a8dmd.jpgp1zetny1lx6w.jpg
    Command then helped deal quickly with the basilisks. For Kirian's party, grease and stinking cloud provided an opportunity to blind Kirian and Baerin, while Peter was silenced. The stinking cloud actually did better than I had expected and the general attack that followed finished everyone off before they could take any action.
    gohv8h3p3u00.jpgaex1ss4rqxhf.jpg
    The route was now open to Durlag's Tower and I used blindness on the first battle horror encountered there. However, rather than standing still after that to be hit, this one was running round - so Corey had to tank him while everyone else piled in. Rage allowed Grond0 to finish him off pretty quickly.
    hajgmu65n4do.jpg
    We were then ambushed while trying to rest and ran off the edge of the map - into another ambush (resulting in the first damage inflicted by an enemy) - though there was plenty more to come later in the session ...
    v8m5lawlst3z.jpg
    After the second battle horror on the path was cleared, we moved on to look at the one on the wall. Once Corey alerted that, the plan was to move to the end of the wall and see if it followed, as in the unmodded game (in fact it didn't, but the skeletons did). However, a greater ghoul suddenly appeared next to us, having teleported from the lower levels of the Tower - I vaguely remember that as a bug from playing SCS in previous years. Grond0 raged and moved to intercept it, only to find it hitting too hard and quickly to allow him to continue in melee even for a few seconds.
    715o2zbj1fde.jpg8o6wn85hppqa.jpg
    With its fast movement at close quarters I couldn't rely on our own spells and opted to have Alesia make an emergency use of the wand of fire taken from the ankhegs. However, movement in restricted spaces can be problematic and Enuhal got bumped too near to the action and was fried in the scorcher :#.
    es1hmdugg3ij.jpg
    That did allow space for Corey to come in to occupy the ghoul briefly - but it was in fact finished off by a couple of arrows from Grond0 anyway even before the second lot of damage from the scorcher took effect.
    8lhdamwqzuau.jpg
    After coughing up 600 gold to raise Enuhal we returned to the Tower and cleared the rest of the exterior. Inside, I was wary of the ability of the ghasts to move between levels using multiple stairs - making it more difficult to keep the ghasts at range. Grond0 therefore did more melee work than usual, using his rage with PfE and the piercing girdle to bolster his defences. I also took advantage of a behavior I'd remembered from SCS in the past - that an invisible or stealthed character moving between rooms or levels will encourage enemies to go to where that character came from.
    dmz02vrd4u9c.jpg
    Alesia could disarm all the traps and, though she couldn't open any of the locks, Grond0 kicked most of them to pieces. Enuhal took the tome before we turned our attention to Riggilo. After giving him the nymph hair, Alesia blocked the doorway under stealth to allow Grim Face a free shot at blinding him.
    tf7v7kdp8acd.jpg
    Although that worked Riggilo responded by using an invisibility potion. SCS backstabs by thieves can be a real problem, but in this case that was easily solved. A spirit bear was summoned to absorb the backstab and Riggilo was then commanded to die. That was enough for Alesia (and the rest of the group) to level up once more.
    ptkilrjdvx71.jpg
    I didn't fancy taking the ghost on and am not sure yet whether I'll be back to explore the lower levels. However, the XP bonanza on the roof was still available with PfP once more cast on everyone and Enuhal trying out his new call lightning ability.
    fm4x4p0i908u.jpg
    The session ended with a visit to High Hedge to clean up inventory. I also decided to invest in invisibility to open up further possible tactics. Grim Face managed to learn that this time, but Alesia failed with both the other 2 scrolls available there - so will probably have to wait until we arrive at Baldur's Gate to try that again (note that I don't have the same sort of inflexible rule over use of intelligence potions as with healing items, but in parties I do tend to allow spell learning by chance as that helps promote more variety in tactics used).

Grond0 - barbarian L5, 44 HPs, 78 kills
    Corey - inquisitor L5, 58 HPs, 64 kills, 0 deaths
    Grim Face - cleric/illusionist L4/4, 26 HPs, 16 kills, 0 deaths
    Alesia - mage/thief L4/5, 25 HPs, 20 kills, 0 deaths
    Enuhal - totemic druid L5, 29 HPs, 32 kills, 1 death

Grond0 has had pretty horrible HP rolls so far and is well below the 60 or so that might have been expected - giving him even more incentive to hide behind Corey. Incidentally, I've noticed before that HP rolls for barbarians often seem lower than expected in the EE. It may of course just be confirmation bias of me paying attention when things go poorly, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that the HP mechanic for barbarians is not working as expected - for instance it would seem possible that when the EE changed HP rolls to the best of 2 dice the barbarians, with their unusual d12 roll, were left with just one die.
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2023
    Daelat, human sorcerer: Introduction

Well met and welcome to another instance of me attempting to navigate as far as possible through this challenge. More than a year had passed since my last play and I also note all the impressive runs that have been documented here in the meantime.

Despite my terrible track record of failures with arcane casters, I've decided to push against the limits of my comfort zone and roll myself a sorcerer. His name is Daelat and he's rather loosely inspired by Quick Ben, a character from Steven Eriksons' Malazan Book of the Fallen.

u71fknhr4eh8.jpg

Proficiencies: Darts
    Starting spells: Blindness, Shield

Technical notes:
    Game version: BGEE 2.6.6.0 (no SoD)
    Difficulty: Hardcore
    Mods: SCS (v34.3) with all tactical and AI components; BG Tweaks (cosmetic changes)
    Modified SCS components: Giant Spiders (Tactical)

When done properly, I'm usually able rush through BG1 in about 5 hours. Not being a completionist (quite the contrary actually), my characters tend to be fairly opportunistic and pick their battles carefully. Putting aside the odd Chromatic Orb or Charm Person deaths, which I'm trying be mindful of at all times, the main bottlenecks would then typically include (i) overestimating myself against Drasus & Co at Cloakwood Mines, (ii) Slythe and Kristyn, (iii) the Ducal Palace and (iv) the final battle with Sarevok and his lackeys.

So let's see how it goes.

Regards,

B.
    Post edited by Borco on
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    Daelat, human sorcerer: Part 1

Previous posts: Introduction

Besides collecting and/or purchasing crucial gear comprising the Ring of Wizardry, RoP +1, potion case (with Potion of Magic Blocking, Potion of Freedom and other situational potions), Girdle of Piercing and Wand of Sleep via completing various side quests around FAI and Beregost, our early notable achievements involved an encounter with Shoal, transferring Barge back to the Temple of Helm in Nashkel and clearing out Mutamin's gardens with the help of Korax.

k1b10cp6zyc3.jpg

The hunt for basilisks didn't go as smoothly as expected when Mutamin managed to avoid Korax's ghoul touch long enough to destroy him with direct damage spells and summons. Daelat, having pre-buffed with ProPetrification, had to step in with fireballs via Necklace of Missiles. Despite having almost completely depleted his spellbook, Mutanim still managed to land Blindness on us and therefore the entire encounter ended up being rather bizarre and anti-climatic. Kirian's party was left undisturbed.

03limlzvaz8g.jpg
    9r9t0tvxv3vv.jpg

In order to enhance our balance sheet, we paid a visit to the south, wherein Daelat dealt with Vax & Zal, Sendai's party, Caldo & Krumm and Gnarl & Hairtooth. Apart from purchasing the Necklace of Missiles, we intended to spend most of the funds at Ulgoth's Beard and so had to travel back north, passing the ankegh lair (only collecting the treasure) and Tenya on the way.

With the Wand of Fire, Cloak of Displacement, Greenstone Amulet and magic darts in his possession, Daelat embarked on a journey to Durlag's Tower to collect the WIS tome and, using a blue ProPetrification scroll, clear all the basilisks at the roof. With just a little short of 90k XP and level 8, we returned to clear out the ankegh lair.

c5zui239nxxd.jpg
    xm09m0w5p6r3.jpg

Given that, statistically, the majority of my runs end due to a failed save rather than straightforward damage, Daelat's first L4 spell pick was Improved Invisibility instead of Stoneskin. I'd been considering opting for Shadow Door, however it seemed to me that this would create too much of a competition with all the other good stuff at L5 (in particular SI).

Next stop, Nashkel mines.

Regards,

B.

Spellbook (level 8):
    L1 - Blindness, Shield, Magic Missile, ProEvil
    L2 - Invisibility, MIs, Resist Fear
    L3 - Skull Trap, MMM
    L4 - II
    @Borco It's great to see you again! Best wishes to Daelat!

@Grond0 I'm super impressed by your crew's performance. Is it just me or did you get better while I was gone, lol?
    edited March 2023
    Great work so far @Grond0 @Corey_Russell
    @Serg_BlackStrider Slow and steady wins the race - and as Alesia mentioned, you were the only one to successfully complete your run the last time around :smile:
    Welcome back @Borco !

The Avatars (Enuhal's version) - Update III

We enter the lighthouse area, kill Arkushule and clear out the lighthouse. Enuhal, Alesia and Grim Face level up - huge power boost, as this means that Enuhal can now summon 2 spirit animals at once. With this in mind, we go and challenge the sirens - two charm-immune spirit lions and Corey, who also can't be charmed as an inquisitor, approach. The feeblemind effect from the Siren's melee attacks still works, though - both lions suffer this fate, so while the lions still tank more hits, it's up to Corey to get the kills. He is interrupted by a bunch of hobgoblins who start shooting at him from the ledge, so the rest of my party intervenes to take them down:
    tijljykh62j4.png
    As the party makes sure not to get into siren range, an arrow of biting hits Corey - he drinks an antidote and eventually takes down the sirens:
    fvkp6kpta9nx.png
    Because I need new spirit lions, I rest and move on to the second siren group. This time, Grond0 joins - he can also achieve charm immunity with his rage. Things work out much better, the lions don't get feebleminded:
    959or5jup6n0.png
    Time to equip the magical ammo we had bought earlier. Alesia disarms the traps, spirit lions tank a few hits for uns and we take down any flesh golems at range:
    sb31rsdgjw6o.png
    The constitution tome will go to Grond0 once we can identify it, as he gets not only the hitpoint bonus, but also saving throws, being a dwarf. On to the northern Sword Coast, where we meet Shoal, who talks to Corey and brings him to 1 hitpoint before backing down:
    ppu6x3xreav6.png
    Prepared with strength of one (expecting Droth to have protection from normal missles, so we have to use melee attacks, as is indeed the case), remove fear and bless, Corey uses true sight against Droth's MI. The ogre mage casts chromatic orb on Alesia, who makes her save:
    r3zixkj6y5r3.png
    A command is all we need to win:
    by9snate4hy4.png
    New helm for Corey! We help the mad gnome, use sleep and blindness effects to take down the ogre gang in the middle of the map and let the surgeon heal Corey back up. The siren group to the south-west once again gets defeated by spirit lions, Corey and Grond0 - Grim Face gets cleric level 5, which at this point will mostly be used for the prayer spell.

We travel to Firewine Bridge and take down a bunch of kobolds on the way to Meilum:
    sw118m5llhiv.png
    As we're in the region, we also visit Gullykin to get the evil halfling in the basement to disappear and acquire a second sling +1 for Grim Face. Finally, it's time to go for the Nashkel Mines. Using a few sleep spells, we make it to the third level. At the bridge, Alesia, protected by Corey, disarms the traps, and we move towards the kobold shaman + chieftain group, where we summon spirit lions and buff with prayer, blessing and remove fear. As we approach, see the shaman and activate true sight to counter MI, I notice that he's casting an evocation spell - surely not, right? Yes. It is lightning bolt. Rather devastating, as our party is perfectly lined up. We take massive damage from the spell:
    ivt70gsykw4j.png
    However, the lightning bolt doesn't bounce back on us. Otherwise, this could've resulted in a few character deaths. The shaman falls to our arrows, the chieftain hits Alesia with a poisoned arrow, she retreats as Enuhal cures the poison and we finish the final kobold:
    clhmtz5nwxih.png
    We rest up and enter Mulahey's cave, retreating to the entrance once we talk to him - a quick sleep spell helps with the kobolds, spirit lions help with the skeletons:
    ztzzidnttrc6.png
    Mulahey is busy casting strength of one - for some reason, he casts it not only once, but twice. We enter his line of sight again, he starts an enchantement spell, one of the lions gets the interrupt:
    kyzmqevqlhwr.png
    Hold person fails, but with the alicorn lance ruining his AC, the lions easily take down the evil cleric:
    eg66waw347zp.png
    New ring for Grim Face, new boots for Enuhal! Nimbul is next - he has stoneskins and minor spell deflection, but we are able to take down the stoneskins in time before he can do anything to hurt us:
    nnlvvv4lb13f.png
    New boots for Alesia, and we turn in a few quests. Back in Beregost, we sell some bandit scalps and deal with Tranzig, luring him downstairs, and while command fails, alicorn lance and sunscorch are enough help for the fighters to prevent him from casting anything - now we have a protection +1 item for every one of our characters:
    ajofx7nwn833.png
    Finally, we visit Ulgoth's Beard to buy the spellscrolls here, do the same at Feldposts's and travel to High Hedge, drink 6 intelligence potions in total and go on a huge spell scribing spree with of our mages, getting access to Web in the process and identifying all of our gear. In the end, there is exactly enough gold remaining to buy the Claw of Kazgaroth as well, which is equipped by Enuhal (he is in the "neutral" zone for constitution, getting no bonus or malus either way, and the claw won't change that).