Skip to content

Ilmatar's Baldur's Gate themed drawings

IlmatarIlmatar Member Posts: 6
Hey all - it looks like this part of the forums is rather quiet these days but I thought this would be the best place to show my first drawings in practically years. When I was younger, I used to draw and paint A LOT, and I was somewhat good at it. Now that I've been replaying Baldur's Gate after some years, I got the itch to get back to drawing. Since it's been so long, I found I'm back at square one with drawing.... so I dug up some tutorials and now I'm learning to draw all over again. I'm trying to learn a different style of drawing that I used to do, but we'll see how it goes. I'd love to get some feedback on how I'm doing!

Since I know Imoen like an old friend, she was my very first subject.

O_BruceRodrianHeindrichNonnahswriterbruss0ulafeinButtercheeseMetalloman

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    For something you haven't done in years, it is pretty nice. Imoen surely looks like herself despite the stylization. If I am to point the mistakes: you haven't drawn her ears. They should be partially visible in the front.

Also, I am concerned about the style. It is stylized, ok. It's something between cartoony and realistic, which gives quite odd result. Big cartoony eyes, big lips, quite realistically drawn hair, nose... You might want to take a look at those elements and balance it out a little.

Otherwise, no complains.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Really nice work! I look forward to seeing more of our beloved BG characters!

Did you do that by hand or is it digital art? It's so hard to tell the difference these days :smiley:
  • IlmatarIlmatar Member Posts: 6
    Heindrich said:

Did you do that by hand or is it digital art? It's so hard to tell the difference these days :smiley:

Thank you! :blush: It's made digitally on Photoshop CS2. I have a pen and tablet that make it easier to draw digitally.
    O_Bruce said:

If I am to point the mistakes: you haven't drawn her ears. They should be partially visible in the front.

Also, I am concerned about the style. It is stylized, ok. It's something between cartoony and realistic, which gives quite odd result. Big cartoony eyes, big lips, quite realistically drawn hair, nose... You might want to take a look at those elements and balance it out a little.

Excellent points! Thank you for the feedback! Especially the hair is remnants from my "old" drawing style - I used to draw in a rather realistic way, but I've always wanted to learn how to draw in a less time consuming and more expressive way. I'll try to redraw the hair especially and see what I can do about the ears.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Ohhh, I still remember you and your art from years back on deviantArt.
    I am very glad you started drawing again and I am looking forward to seeing more work from you :D