Skip to content

Forums bugs & issues

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited June 2012 in Site Resources
"Ask a question" or "start a discussion" is quite questionable feature and people (me :)) can get confused.

I have accidental spawned a lot of "questions" instead of usual "discussions", because "Question Mode" is selected by default.
Post edited by CameronTofer on
Bhryaen

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of bugs, I can't seem to be able to start any new discussions or questions (whatever the alleged difference is).
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Andrea, are you using the "NEW DISCUSSION" button in the upper left? To tell the truth, when I first clicked it I was sort of crossing my fingers, not knowing if it was an indicator tab telling me that I'm in a new discussion or if it was for me to create one... It's good though that regardless of what forum you click it in, you get a drop-down menu in case you want to post it in a different forum. Not sure if you can move it to another forum when you edit it...
    One question I have is how to submit a post without it being a question that begs for an answer? Or is that part of the spirit of the forum? For my requests I don't exactly want to be naggy. "Hey! I said this here, and I demand your attention on it... cuz I said it... Now answer me!" Seems a little pushy. Plus all the "Question" and "Answered" text overpowers the thread titles a bit on the category page. For actual question posts, however, particularly the ones we see in the General section, it doesn't seem so pushy, just a matter of taking a number and putting up the question flag for when it can get addressed. But still, I'd rather see the thread titles lit up and conspicuous rather than the "I'M ASKING A QUESTION" banner... or as appears more common the banner of "I'VE BEEN ANSWERED! YOU WHO! NOTICE THAT I'VE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED AND DON'T NEED TO BE NOTICED!" lol
    edited May 2012
    This is a good thread for general questions... of which I continue to have...

What is the point of the "accept" / "reject" system? Are we supposed to click them? I experimented and it seems to make it declared that the thread has been "answered..." What?! And then I can't seem to undo it! The only way that would even make sense for a "feature request" thread is if Cam or someone comes onto it and says, "Yeah, we're so going to do this feature request in BGEE." But even then the discussion could continue to flesh out the request implementation or what have you. And even if a topic in the "General" section were a direct question that got an answer, what about updates? What about when the answer is able to be more detailed later? Anyway just musing on these quirks...
    edited May 2012
    Crumballs... OK, now I see that you can switch from the default "Ask a Question" to "Discussion" at the first topic start screen. *sigh* Would've been nice if this were more intuitive, but it was an option right away... Still, why bother with the Ask a Question business at all? I agree with you, Anton: they should keep "Discussion" as the default, not "Ask a Question," though at least they make it possible to edit the post to change which type is selected for it, particularly if it's supposed to be used. Frankly I think the "Ask a Q" is going to go by the wayside.
    OK, discovered a new bug. I'm unable to edit my threads among the Featured section, even though I can edit the ones in this General section.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Reading this thread is excellent, seeing a transition from bewilderment,
    'I was sort of crossing my fingers'

to inquisitiveness
    'how to submit a post without it being a question that begs for an answer? Or is that part of the spirit of the forum?'

to vexation
    'What is the point of the "accept" / "reject" system? Are we supposed to click them? I experimented and it seems to make it declared that the thread has been "answered..." What?! And then I can't seem to undo it!'

to grim enlightenment
    'Crumballs... OK, now I see'

Bhryaen in case you're wondering if I've got too much time on my hands, I'm afraid the opposite is true. The fact I've got so many other, more pressing things to do, is why I'm here. Procrastination FTW.
  • CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    "Ask a question" or "start a discussion" is quite questionable feature and people (me :)) can get confused.

I have accidental spawned a lot of "questions" instead of usual "discussions", because "Question Mode" is selected by default.
    Ok, I've turned the question / answer thing off for now as it doesn't seem useful. It might be ok to have on in a specific Questions category or something. For now it's disabled.
    KoreTanthalasBhryaen
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited June 2012

Ok, I've turned the question / answer thing off for now as it doesn't seem useful. It might be ok to have on in a specific Questions category or something. For now it's disabled.
    I think its better this way, no more pop ups asking for me to accept of reject answers now.
    Post edited by Tanthalas on
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Yeah, I agree.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I am trying to post a discussion but it doesn't seem to want to, I also get freezes while typing it out, and sometimes have to close an odd blue square which appears, might just be because it is the work laptop but I don't think there is anything fancy on it.
    I think you have the same problem that I do on my laptop. Try making your posts smaller (like no more than 10 lines), if you can "Preview" the message, you should then be able to post it.
    @CameronTofer Thanks! :-) Makes a difference.

@HeroicSpur Seems we're in a similarly self-inflicted condition then. Why put off for a day what you can put off indefinitely until you're forced to do it?
    New bug, I think. When I go to the Home screen and it lists the categories, it's presently showing one of HeroicSpur's Feature Requests in the right-side "latest post" section despite it actually being in the Feature Requests section... unless HeroicSpur posted it there by accident and moved it, and the system isn't reflecting the move, possibly because there's no buffer.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Goddamn, when will they learn? There has to be a buffer!

How many more deaths Trent? How many?!
    @HeroicSpur There's a war goin' on, soldier. There's bound to be casualties. Buck up and save it for after the ceasefire. Right... Move out, men!
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited June 2012
    Any change for us to post pictures in here, instead of linking to them ??

like :

http://gaygamer.net/images/baldursgate.jpg

[img] link [/img]
    Post edited by lordkim on
  • CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    Any change for us to post pictures in here, instead of linking to them ??

like :

http://gaygamer.net/images/baldursgate.jpg

[img] link [/img]
    I'll find out next week about file uploading.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited June 2012

@ScottBrooks just showed us. :)Here
    But thx anyway @CameronTofer
    Post edited by lordkim on
    Anton
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @CameronTofer I am still having issues posting in chunks larger 10 lines is there anything I could be doing to stop this issue? @Tanthalas are you still having this issue to?
    @Cadros

Yeah, I still have the problem on my laptop. I just haven't noticed it lately because my posts have been smaller.