Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been announced! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to pre-order, apply for the Head Start and check for details. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[Kit] Mystic Fire Paladin (beta)

Artemius_IArtemius_I Member Posts: 2,022
edited April 2016 in General Modding
This mod adds the Mystic Fire paladin kit. It is a paladin with the ability to cast a limited amount of arcane spells while wearing armor as well as an anti-caster, albeit not as much so as the inquisitor. It suffers throughout BG1 due to not accessing its spells but is incredibly strong once its potential is unlocked.

This kit was a surprisingly massive pain to make and I don't feel comfortable calling it a stable release yet despite it seemingly functioning. Because of this, I would like to request for people to provide feedback on any issues. Or you can just use it for fun if you'd rather. It is a lot of fun at least :)

Download it on github: https://github.com/ArtemiusI/Mystic-Fire/releases/

Kit Description

Knights of the Mystic Fire are paladins dedicated to the church of Mystra, goddess of magic. Aside from traditional virtues of paladinhood, Mystic Fire Knights devote part of their lives in the discovery and study of ancient magic.

Advantages:
- +1 bonus to save vs. spells.
- +2 bonus to lore per level.
- +2 bonus to caster level.
- May use 'Shatter Spell' ability once per day and an additional use every 6 levels thereafter.

SHATTER SPELL: Knights of the Mystic Fire are able to smite spellcasters and disrupt their defensive spells as well as their ability to cast magic. For the next 2 rounds, attacks made by the Mystic Fire dispel combat protections and cause spell disruption for one round if the target fails a save vs. spell at -2.

- At level 9 onward, gains two spell slots per spell level.
- May cast the following spells as priest spells:

Level 1: Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Find Familiar, Shield
Level 2: Mirror Image, Web, Melf's Acid Arrow, Strength
Level 3: Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Slow, Remove Magic
Level 4: Greater Malison, Fire Shield (Red), Secret Word, Stoneskin

- 10th level: +1 bonus to save vs. spells.
- 12th level: May use 'Spellblade' ability once per day.

SPELLBLADE: The Mystic Fire enchants his weapon, giving it a +3 enchantment level and dealing 1d4 magic damage per hit for 3 rounds.

- 20th level: +1 bonus to save vs. spells.
- 30th level: +1 bonus to save vs. spells.

Disadvantages:

- -1 to THAC0 modifier at levels 9, 11, 13 and 15.
- May not use the following High Level Abilities: Whirlwind Attack, Greater Whirlwind Attack, Hardiness, Power Attack, Critical Strike, Smite, Summon Deva
- May not use Protection From Evil.
- May not Turn Undead.
- May not use Lay on Hands.

High Level Abilities

Fighter HLAs: Deathblow, Greater Deathblow, Resist Magic, War Cry

Arcane Knowledge I - -1 casting time, learns Spell Immunity, Globe of Invulnerability, Contingency, Mordenkainen's Sword as 4th level priest spells.

Arcane Knowledge II (requires Arcane Knowledge I) - Learns Improved Haste, Protection from Magical Weapons and Spell Turning as 4th level priest spells.

Arcane Mastery - +4 caster level, +2 to saving throws

Extra Level 1, 2, 3, 4 Spells - can be taken 3 times each

Known Issues

Contingency for priest spells is currently broken. Despite the description, I have removed the spell from the kit until it is fixed.

Updates

Post edited by Artemius_I on
ronaldoKamigoroshiGoturalmashedtaterskensaimf2112Achaean

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 7,994
    Constructive criticism:

A lot of the spells don't seem to fit the theme of the kit, but instead seem arbitrarily tacked-on for powergamey reasons. I feel like the extra spells for a paladin of Mystra should focus on metamagic, not illusions or conjugations etc. A paladin with Find Familiar??

I would probably use:
    - Magic Missile, Shield
    - Deafness, Minor Spell Deflection
    - Remove Magic, Minor Globe of Invulnerability
    - Greater Malison, Secret Word, Minor Sequencer

And in the HLAs I would remove Mordenkainen's and Improved Haste.

Other than that, it seems cool.

toolargAedanArtonaIthual
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 99
    edited April 2016
    I agree with subtledoctor, the list of spells doesnt make much sense and find familiar is obviously there just for the extra HP.

Aedan
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 212
    No haste? Good.
    Remove Magic is unnecessary cause you have Dispel.
    Stoneskin is little OP. Maybe Minor Sequencer instead?
    Chromatic Orb is good, Minor Sequencer of Doom and Orb is great combo!

Ithual
  • rkocourrkocour Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2016
    So weird bug, tried installing this, and weidu keeps referencing a mysticfire/setup.tra that it can't find. I don't know if this matters since the install continues, but if it does matter because weidu keeps referencing it in later installs after it, it probably needs to be cleaned up.

Post edited by rkocour on
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,199
    I agree with the comments made about the spell selection but if you do remove Mirror Image/Stoneskin I would definitely suggest to give Hardiness back to this kit.

A Fighter type character without damage resistances is likely to feel a bit too squishy in ToB against Dragons/Fire Giants and other big enemies.

• Artemius_IArtemius_I Member Posts: 2,022
    I'll look over the .tra issue.

As for the spell balance I'll look into that as well. Improved Haste can probably go - still not convinced about Stoneskin because of how late you get it.

Remove Magic is useful when you don't want to kill your own buffs.

Minor Sequencer did not work the last time I tried to implement it. I'll see what I can do.

Contingency will definitely return as an HLA.

I'm perfectly happy to remove Find Familiar if I had a clue of how to make Identify work as a priest spell.

• ThorgaazThorgaaz Member Posts: 46
    Well to be honest I expected a Pala who throw Fireballs, enhance his Sword with Firemagic and maybe an Fireprotectionspell. Instead of turn undead he uses some kind of heat aura burning every enemy around him (of corse only a little not good for dmg but against trolls) or reducing Firedmg from enemys.
    As downside Scalemail and Metalweapons only. (wooden ones might burn)

You know, doing that he would have one direction, one kit, one class. And these changes I listed up are already an very big change. Changing him into an more offensive but still melee mode. With Fire.

Your Paladin all in all is a strong class, but loosing the THACO means he´s not a real good frontlinefighter anymore. You DO have the Fireweapon but if you cant hit with it it kinds of loosing its purpose. Plus I would extend its duration. 3 rounds are really short. Why not an hour but only once per Day?

And to your spellist, yea seems way to random for me, and adding two skillevels per default on the Platecharacter seemes odd too. Yust think about it, his Shatterspell already gives the Inquisitor a hard Time. Making him additional an better caster as the Mage with an not too small selection of always lerned spells castable in Armor he seems an little too hardcore for me. Maybe okay with some Powergaming Dual/Multikits but way above an averange class.

• FunkaveFunkave Member Posts: 31
    Hi, any development on this project? Are there similar kits? I would start a new game after years if a lore-friendly, balanced, arcane magic-wielding paladin kit would appear. Thanks!

@Funkave

I have a lot going on a the moment. Not to say I won't come back to this though once I have the chance.

• AchaeanAchaean Member Posts: 7
    edited December 7
    This looks pretty interesting. Something like this would be interesting to represent the oft spoke of but ever elusive Shadow Druid.

Achaean said:

This looks pretty interesting. Something like this would be interesting to represent the oft spoke of but ever elusive Shadow Druid.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Shadow Druids. Also I haven't looked at this kit for eons. I can't tell you to expect an update any time soon.

• AchaeanAchaean Member Posts: 7
    Well the kit itself has nothing to do with Shadow Druids; I was more referring to the concept of mixing arcane spells with a divine class beyond that of the mage/cleric combination for a darker potential. Just had me thinking is all. I expect nothing and I appreciate the effort you put into this even if it was eons ago. Have a pleasant day my friend!