Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

There's currently a forum problem with avatars not showing in reactions.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[v1.0] Mystic Fire: Arcane Paladin Kit

Artemius_IArtemius_I Member Posts: 2,607
edited May 31 in General Modding

Kit Description

MYSTIC FIRE: Knights of the Mystic Fire are paladins dedicated to the church of Mystra, goddess of magic. They are proficient in martial combat as well as arcane magic. Aside from traditional virtues of paladinhood, Mystic Fire Knights devote part of their lives in the discovery and study of ancient magic.

Advantages:
– +2 bonus to Lore per level.
– May cast two additional spells per level.
– +1 to Saving Throws vs. Spells. Gains an additional +1 at level 5 and every 5 levels gained thereafter.
– The Mystic Fire's spells are cast as though they were a cleric of the same level.
– May cast the following spells as priest spells:

Level 1: Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp* , Shield, Find Familiar
Level 2: Mirror Image, Web, Melf's Acid Arrow, Invisibility
Level 3: Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Haste, Minor Spell Deflection
Level 4: Greater Malison, Fire Shield (Red), Stoneskin, Secret Word

– May use 'Shatter Spell' ability once per day and an additional use every 6 levels thereafter.

SHATTER SPELL: Knights of the Mystic Fire are able to smite spellcasters and disrupt their defensive spells as well as their ability to cast magic. The next attack made by the Mystic Fire within two rounds will dispel the target's combat protections. Additionally, if the target fails a save vs. spells at -2, they suffer 100% spell failure for two rounds.

– May use 'Spellblade' ability once per day from 5th level onwards.

SPELLBLADE: The Mystic Fire Knight enchants their weapon for the next hour, giving it a +3 enchantment level and dealing 1d4 magic damage (+1d4 per five caster levels up to level 20) and reducing targets' magic resistance by 5% per hit for two turns. Enchantment bonus increases to +4 at 12th level and +5 at 18th level.

Disadvantages:

– -1 penalty to THAC0 modifier, with an additional -1 at 10th level and every 10 levels thereafter.
– May not learn the following High Level Abilities: Whirlwind Attack, Greater Whirlwind Attack, Power Attack, Critical Strike, Smite
– May not use Protection From Evil.
– May not Turn Undead.
– May not use Lay on Hands.

* The Mystic Fire's Shocking Grasp works differently from the mage's.

Shocking Grasp
(Alteration)

Level: 1
Range: Touch
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

This modified Shocking Grasp spell allows the Mystic Fire Knight to imbue a melee weapon instead of hand. When the Mystic Fire Knight touches a creature while this spell is in effect, an electrical charge will deal 1d8 points of damage plus 1 per level of the caster to the creature touched. In addition, the attack strikes as a +6 weapon. The Mystic Fire Knight only has one charge, and once an opponent has been touched, the spell's energies have been used. The Mystic Fire Knight has 1 round per level to touch the target creature.

High Level Abilities

Extra Level 1 Spell
Choosing this ability allows the Mystic Fire Knight to cast one additional Level 1 spell.

Extra Level 2 Spell
Choosing this ability allows the Mystic Fire Knight to cast one additional Level 2 spell.

Extra Level 3 Spell
Choosing this ability allows the Mystic Fire Knight to cast one additional Level 3 spell.

Extra Level 4 Spell
Choosing this ability allows the Mystic Fire Knight to cast one additional Level 4 spell.

Arcane Knowledge
An experienced Mystic Fire Knight develops more knowledge of arcane spells closer to that of an actual wizard, gaining +1 to all Saving Throws and the ability to cast Cone of Cold, Spell Immunity, Oracle and Sunfire once per day.

Arcane Knowledge II
An experienced Mystic Fire Knight develops more knowledge of arcane spells closer to that of an actual wizard, gaining -1 to casting time and the ability to cast Globe of Invulnerability, Improved Haste, Protection from Magical Weapons and Spell Turning once per day.

Arcane Knowledge III
An experienced Mystic Fire Knight develops more knowledge of arcane spells closer to that of an actual wizard, gaining +20% to spell duration and the ability to cast Limited Wish, Mordenkainen's Sword, Khelben's Warding Whip and Spell Turning once per day.

Post edited by Artemius_I on
ronaldoKamigoroshiGoturalmashedtaterskensaimf2112AchaeanMirandel

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 9,523
    Constructive criticism:

A lot of the spells don't seem to fit the theme of the kit, but instead seem arbitrarily tacked-on for powergamey reasons. I feel like the extra spells for a paladin of Mystra should focus on metamagic, not illusions or conjugations etc. A paladin with Find Familiar??

I would probably use:
    - Magic Missile, Shield
    - Deafness, Minor Spell Deflection
    - Remove Magic, Minor Globe of Invulnerability
    - Greater Malison, Secret Word, Minor Sequencer

And in the HLAs I would remove Mordenkainen's and Improved Haste.

Other than that, it seems cool.

• toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 178
    edited April 2016
    I agree with subtledoctor, the list of spells doesnt make much sense and find familiar is obviously there just for the extra HP.

• kensaikensai Member Posts: 214
    No haste? Good.
    Remove Magic is unnecessary cause you have Dispel.
    Stoneskin is little OP. Maybe Minor Sequencer instead?
    Chromatic Orb is good, Minor Sequencer of Doom and Orb is great combo!

• rkocourrkocour Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2016
    So weird bug, tried installing this, and weidu keeps referencing a mysticfire/setup.tra that it can't find. I don't know if this matters since the install continues, but if it does matter because weidu keeps referencing it in later installs after it, it probably needs to be cleaned up.

Post edited by rkocour on
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,219
    I agree with the comments made about the spell selection but if you do remove Mirror Image/Stoneskin I would definitely suggest to give Hardiness back to this kit.

A Fighter type character without damage resistances is likely to feel a bit too squishy in ToB against Dragons/Fire Giants and other big enemies.

• Artemius_IArtemius_I Member Posts: 2,607
    I'll look over the .tra issue.

As for the spell balance I'll look into that as well. Improved Haste can probably go - still not convinced about Stoneskin because of how late you get it.

Remove Magic is useful when you don't want to kill your own buffs.

Minor Sequencer did not work the last time I tried to implement it. I'll see what I can do.

Contingency will definitely return as an HLA.

I'm perfectly happy to remove Find Familiar if I had a clue of how to make Identify work as a priest spell.

• ThorgaazThorgaaz Member Posts: 46
    Well to be honest I expected a Pala who throw Fireballs, enhance his Sword with Firemagic and maybe an Fireprotectionspell. Instead of turn undead he uses some kind of heat aura burning every enemy around him (of corse only a little not good for dmg but against trolls) or reducing Firedmg from enemys.
    As downside Scalemail and Metalweapons only. (wooden ones might burn)

You know, doing that he would have one direction, one kit, one class. And these changes I listed up are already an very big change. Changing him into an more offensive but still melee mode. With Fire.

Your Paladin all in all is a strong class, but loosing the THACO means he´s not a real good frontlinefighter anymore. You DO have the Fireweapon but if you cant hit with it it kinds of loosing its purpose. Plus I would extend its duration. 3 rounds are really short. Why not an hour but only once per Day?

And to your spellist, yea seems way to random for me, and adding two skillevels per default on the Platecharacter seemes odd too. Yust think about it, his Shatterspell already gives the Inquisitor a hard Time. Making him additional an better caster as the Mage with an not too small selection of always lerned spells castable in Armor he seems an little too hardcore for me. Maybe okay with some Powergaming Dual/Multikits but way above an averange class.

• FunkaveFunkave Member Posts: 31
    Hi, any development on this project? Are there similar kits? I would start a new game after years if a lore-friendly, balanced, arcane magic-wielding paladin kit would appear. Thanks!

@Funkave

I have a lot going on a the moment. Not to say I won't come back to this though once I have the chance.

• AchaeanAchaean Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2017
    This looks pretty interesting. Something like this would be interesting to represent the oft spoke of but ever elusive Shadow Druid.

Achaean said:

This looks pretty interesting. Something like this would be interesting to represent the oft spoke of but ever elusive Shadow Druid.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Shadow Druids. Also I haven't looked at this kit for eons. I can't tell you to expect an update any time soon.

• AchaeanAchaean Member Posts: 9
    Well the kit itself has nothing to do with Shadow Druids; I was more referring to the concept of mixing arcane spells with a divine class beyond that of the mage/cleric combination for a darker potential. Just had me thinking is all. I expect nothing and I appreciate the effort you put into this even if it was eons ago. Have a pleasant day my friend!

Updated to v1.0.
    • Rebuilt the kit from the ground up.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,387

So this kit has no weapon or armor restrictions? Dang...

Is it usable in IWD:EE?