Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been announced! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to pre-order, apply for the Head Start and check for details. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Whats your opinion on this mod -> Kit Revisions

MercilecMercilec Member Posts: 40
Since there are many mods that do changes on classes/kits....

So as the title says.
http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=168

I didnt manage to find a general readme for it.

Is it buggy?
The changes that have been done on the classes are realistic and maybe give the classes more of their own identity??
Post edited by Mercilec on

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 432
    The publicly available version mainly improves the fighter classes. I would recommend it, although the Revisions mods remove many exploits - which tends to make the game harder. Read the first posts of the forum threads to get an idea of the changes.
    Mercilec
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 622
    edited February 18
    I have a quesion too... How those changes apply to the enemy ? For example, will Taurgosz Khosann use Offensive stance ?
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 422
    Arctodus said:

I have a quesion too... How those changes apply to the enemy ? For example, will Taurgosz Khosann use Offensive stance ?

If you don't use SCS, you'll only see Rage abilities working differently.
    If you use SCS, enemies will get same passive abilities you do.
    Active abilities (i.e. stances, for example) won't be used.
    ArctodusMantis37Luke93
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 7,846
    edited February 19
    My take on Kit Revisions: it's probably not great if you use a bunch of other kit mods, since most kit mods are designed with the goal of fitting in with the vanilla kits, and KR makes drastic changes to the vanilla kits.

But, everything Demi & Co. do is extremely high-quality work. If you want to play with the vanilla kits, but want them to be more interesting and fun, KR seems excellent.
    Mercilecabacussemiticgod
  • Luke93Luke93 Member Posts: 494
    Aasim said:

Active abilities (i.e. stances, for example) won't be used.

Are you sure? This is taken from the SCS ReadMe: "Enemies with class abilities (e.g. Kai) or high-level abilities (e.g. Whirlwind Attack) will use them" -> I do think enemies will use active abilities..... Please @subtledoctor, say yes.... I'm too interested in this mod, vanilla fighters/rangers are much more interesting!
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 7,846
    @Luke93 hard to say. It depends how the mod is coded.

In my mod fighters can use one of five stances:
    - chance of knockback
    - chance of knockdown
    - AC bonus vs. slashing
    - AC bonus vs. piercing
    - AC bonus vs. crushing

You can learn more than one and it is an active ability to switch between them. But, while one is active, it acts like a passive ability. This made it easy to code for enemies: I just assigned every .CRE file set to the Fighter class to have a random chance of having one of the five passive abilities. It's not as good as what the PC can do - enemies can't tactically change stances mid-battle - but it's way better than nothing.

I don't know enough about how KR works to know if the same kind of thing would be possible... but given that it hasn't been worked on in several years, I'm guessing it is not coded that way. (Which is another reason Idon't use KR, and rolled my own instead.)
  • Luke93Luke93 Member Posts: 494
    @subtledoctor That's why I don't like the idea of custom kits.... I mean, there are lots of interesting concepts out there, but if enemies can't have access to them or their modified abilities, then it's like cheating in some sense.... Anyway, I think I'll install SCS and see what happens.....

Maybe @Ardanis can shed some light......
  • ArdanisArdanis Member, Developer Posts: 917
    My memory is hazy and I'm no longer in the loop of things, but unless something's changed in recent couple years, that with new maintainers and all, SCS can only use abilities it's been deliberately instructed too. It doesn't read up the kit table and figure out which things to use and when, it's not *that* smart.