Skip to content

iOS NWNEE + PrC

Thank you Beamdog! I just found out today that NWN is now available on iPad. It’s giving me chills that I can play NWN on iPad. Awesome! But any idea how we can add PrC EE? Hope that there’ll be an easy way to add modules and other mods like PrC to the game. Thanks!

And again, awesome!

Comments

• StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    It turns out you can’t add any of the hax or overrides or custom modules.
    Nothing. You can multi play the main campaign. If that is your cup of tea
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    That’s unfortunate. That should have been the priority as NWN isn’t NWN without custom mods. Anyway, I still haven’t tried Darkness over Daggerford and Tyrants of the Moonsea, so at least there’s still something to play with. But I got to admit, without custom mods, my interest has been somewhat lessened.
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2020
    @Staran @Illustair Actually you can add/delete files in the iPad nwn folder. Just kind of a pain... as far as i can tell you can't do it on the ipad itself.

If you have a mac, plug your iPad into the Mac and click on the iPad in the Finder sidebar and navigate to the "Files" tab. There you should see a folder/dropdown for "NWN:EE". From there you can add/delete files in the appropriate folders.

I'm not sure how you could do it on a PC if you don't have a mac. I'm sure there is some PC program that allows to navigate/edit files on the ipad similar to finder (maybe iTunes?).

You also have NWSync option for PWs that support it.
    Post edited by jpsweeney94 on
    Great! I’m looking into it. I think you can also add stuff on iPad itself using Files app. I’ve easily managed to add custom portraits using Files app. Perhaps custom files can be added in this manner as well.
    Maybe! If you manage to do it let me know. There’s the files app, but there is an “on my iPad” section in the files app that contains the nwn ee iPad files. I can’t see a way to add/edit. Only delete it seems

Not to be confused with the document files from the Mac version that live in your iCloud files, if applicable
    Override works perfectly fine so far. Haven’t tested adding modules but I’m optimistic that it can be done as well.
  • PalindarPalindar Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2
    I’m running IOS NWN EE. So far the graphics are pretty smooth and i like that i can scale the UI. I have a keyboard and found that i can type to chat with other players. But I don’t have the option to press keys for char control like WSAD to drive or I for inventory. Any idea if this will be added to a future IOS version or how to setup the controls to support keyboard beyond chat typing?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited August 2020
    If anyone knows the path on which modules should be installed, let me know.

Any other details, like which app to use, or connection to PC or Mac, would be helpful.

I'd like to update the installation guide to cover IOS but don't have an IOS test rig.
    I would like to play with my family.

None of the official modules. God no.
    I will need to buy a Mac computer to install the modules via cord? Each iPad?
    Nah.
    Why do you assume you need to buy a mac? i was just sharing how i accomplished it and even shared a possible windows alternative via itunes.

I just downloaded itunes from the windows store and you can indeed do it through itunes as well.

ytgzdus98smg.png.

It has all the same folders as the desktop version of the game and you should be able to do anything on iOS that you can with android/PC
  • jerryseverejerrysevere Member Posts: 15
    To play with your family
    install module or hak:
    Download module
    Uncompress with the right application. You have to move the file in the application with file app
    Move the files with file app in the nwnee folder
    If you have hak , all the others players must have them (share the with iCloud Drive or another drive)

No need to have a Mac to transfer files. But it’s more easy to unrar, unzip modules

You can after load a custom lan server.
    I have tried today and i have a lot of crash with my family :(

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    There is a thread about modding the IE games on iOS devices here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66644/how-to-install-mods-on-ios-devices-no-jailbreak
    The method described worked equally well for both cpu’s and mac. So perhaps there is a solution for other than Mac users.
    Ah ya just noticed you can also move the downloaded files on the ipad from icloud, to the on my ipad section! doh. Desktop might be easier to manage/unzip files though.
    I can attest that “basic” modules are working fine. By “basic,” I mean to say those that have no requisite projects or files such as hak packs. But it’s been so long that I’ve forgotten how to install the more “advanced” modules. In particular, will I need the toolset to install CEP and CEP-dependent modules?
    No you shouldn't need the toolset at all. Just like the PC, you just need to download the module/other mods like CEP and place all the haks and other required files in the appropriate folders.
    My module installation guide should help.

I added a one-liner describing the iTunes path for IOS mentioned above.

I don't have an IOS test rig, so any corrections are especially welcome, but everything in the guide works for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android, so it's very likely to work for IOS, too.
    edited August 2020
    Clear and concise. You’re awesome, man! But what if a module requires an earlier version of the CEP (they understandably vary from one module to another), can I install the later versions, or better yet the latest version, instead?
    Post edited by Illustair on
    @Illustair Good question. You should only ever need two versions of CEP:
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/cep1-complete
    https://neverwintervault.org/cep

The first will allow you to play all CEP1 modules, the second all CEP2 modules.

In the unlikely event of a compatibility issue with an older module, ask for help on Neverwinter Vault.
    Ah I see, I see. Thanks! Will try to install a CEP module over the weekend
    I have sucessfully play a CEP module (in search of adventure) on local multiplayer on 3 ipad .
    It’s fun :)
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    I had forgotten the itunes file back door. I'm usually using a Mac to bop files over. Glad to see people are having some success with CEP and iOS
    I spent days on this.
    The iTunes backdoor didn’t work. I can’t seem to put things into the directories.
    But their are options like the files iOS app. You bring the files in using a cloud service and copy with Files to the correct nwn directory.
    Also Sometimes you can directly copy things from the nwn vault then copy it to the nwn directory.
    Their is also this....kinda-feature that was implemented. If you put things in directories in a folder Like Module1/modules. The put a @ in front of it like @Module1 in nwn, go to store/customize, it should appear their. You can install/uninstall the 3rd party stuff that way
    edited August 2020
    Perhaps we can help you @Staran. Where did it go wrong? I can’t see how the file sharing in iTunes be any different from the Files app. As shown above by @jpsweeney94, he got it to work through iTunes.
    edited August 2020
    For me, if you scroll down a bit there is an "Add File" button

bterl543tzcx.png

Drag and drop also seems to work.
    For me, if you scroll down a bit there is an "Add File" button

bterl543tzcx.png

Drag and drop also seems to work.
    Yeah. It only added files to the main folder. No sub folders. And using iTunes I couldn’t move files to the correct folders when they were already in the main folder.

But I could move things around with the Files app.

It could have beenA problem with the iTunes app but I have never been able to move files into specific sub folders
    edited August 2020
    Yes, that’s actually an iTunes (not NWNEE) limitation, one that hasn’t been addressed after all these years. There are other iTunes alternatives but I’m not sure if they still work nowadays. Otherwise, I’m afraid you’d have to eventually use Files app to move around the files within folder/s.

Edit: I overlooked this one. I didn’t know you could do this —
    If you have a mac, plug your iPad into the Mac and click on the iPad in the Finder sidebar and navigate to the "Files" tab. There you should see a folder/dropdown for "NWN:EE". From there you can add/delete files in the appropriate folders.
    This is the method i use : on my mac , i uncompress everything and put it on my iCloud Drive.
    I share the folder with my companions ( you can do the same with Google Drive, One Drive, drop box)
    Everyone on is ipad , open the iCloud shared folder with file app and copy Files in hak tlk ambient Folder into nwnee respective folder.
    For erf you have to copy the Whole folder and not the files, because this one don’t exist.
    Only the ipad who will be the server must have the modules.
    I advise to play with server vault. You can transfer the characters between modules and make a campaign of your own with a patchwork of modules.
    Don’t forget to add a rating on the appstore. We need more visibility
    So, for the purposes of my guide, I'd like, if possible, to recommend one solution that will work, ideally for all iPad users, but certainly for both Mac and PC users.

If there is consensus that iTunes doesn't work (being unable to populate subfolders), can we say that the Files app is a general solution? Does it sit on the iPad or the desktop? Can we briefly describe the path to the NWN folders?
    Proleric wrote: »
    So, for the purposes of my guide, I'd like, if possible, to recommend one solution that will work, ideally for all iPad users, but certainly for both Mac and PC users.

If there is consensus that iTunes doesn't work (being unable to populate subfolders), can we say that the Files app is a general solution? Does it sit on the iPad or the desktop? Can we briefly describe the path to the NWN folders?

The files app is IOS’s File manager.
    On my files app the only file structure I have is nwn’s file structure.

Their is more than one solution; which is kinda neat. If the thing you download is a zip file or uncompressed you don’t need another computer at all.
    Just download it. Go to iOS’s Download folder. Then move Or copy it to the appropriate nwn folder.

If it is a rar or executable, you need a pc to extract it.