Skip to content

Tan Bherfvarlant: NE Gnome Skald (Narrative Minimal Reload Run, Hard Difficulty)

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
edited December 2020 in Challenges and Playthroughs
AN December 11th: I've currently enough material for 13 1/2 "Episodes" which I will retroactively provided with titles after Baldur's Gate itself is over if you guys want that. If not I'll just keep the format the way it is. As of this post I'm finishing up Chapter 5 but I may be here longer than I previously planned.

ietonfw22i3e.png

This is Tan Bherfvarlant (pronounced Bear-if-far-lund) and some of you may be familiar with his role as Attempt #6 on my No-Reload Thread. Well after playing him in a real D&D campaign for a significant portion of 2019, I fell in love with roleplaying as this cold, sadistic sociopath who seeks knowledge and power at any cost. As such I've streamlined the character (I increased his wisdom and charisma at the cost of strength) and will be playing him from a narrative standpoint on Hard Difficulty. I'll only be reloading if Tan himself dies and I've never played on Hard before so this should be interesting.

Tan is a unique interpretation of Evil as I personally believe that no alignment is an absolute. Tan is a cold, calculating sociopath who is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his goals no matter who it hurts and will remorselessly betray his allies if it suits him. He will however have a soft spot for Imoen (at least at the start of his journey), Gorion (Though in his own twisted way) and those who like him pursue the arts.

So here's a recap:

1. I will be playing Tan the NE Gnome Skald
2. This is a Narrative playthrough, I'll be explaining the story through the eyes of the party
3. I'll be playing on Hard Difficulty and will only reload if Tan dies. All other consequences must be excepted.

Shall we proceed...?
Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309

Another day in Candlekeep, my studies go well but Gorion seems more distant as of late. I feel as if I should be worried but my pursuit of knowledge concerns me more. One day I shall be free from this prison, for the knowledge that books bring can only provide me with so much. The Outside world has much to offer in the realm of knowledge and power, perhaps I shall even discover the true heritage Gorion seeks to hide from me. I have pressed him numerous times but discovered very little. Was is Gorion hiding? No matter, I will discover the truth in time.

8vggwb6udnng.png

Whilst doing my chores I was approached by Phyldia, a somewhat addled woman who was once an archmage of some renown before her memory left her, the poor fool. It would seem she misplaced one of her tomes again, I am certain she would be lost without me. I found it in the stables once again, I suspect there may be some form of an intimate relationship between her and the stable hand Dreppin. It would make for an excellent tale were it not for the dull affair that everyday life presents us with here within Candlekeep's austere walls. No matter, I returned the tome to her after inspecting it myself, I was quite familiar with this one, a chronicling of the various civil wars and invasions that constantly plague the far distant land of Halruaa. I should hope one day to visit such a place for what secrets of magic lie within borders I may never know.

jgzxpt1krbbh.png

I was nearly done with my chores when Gorion interrupted and seemed more troubled than usual. Strange, it isn't even noon; whatever weighs on his mind must be grave indeed. He handed me a small amount of gold and insisted I collect enough equipment and rations for a few days travel. On the way to meet with Gorion I attempted to finish my remaining errands and was attacked by not one but two rather inexperienced brigands who had been hired to kill me. Why anyone would wish to kill me and how they managed to slip past the Watchers is a mystery to me but it would seem Gorion is right: my life is in danger.

uesa5fk671f2.png
    qs4mu9j876v6.png

f8vylh9gcogs.png

Gorion is dead! After less than a half-day's travel, my foster father and I found ourselves beset by a very large man in demonic armor and his companions. To the untrained eye, one would assume that were attacked by the forces of Avernus itself, but I am certain my attacker is at least partially Humanoid. Gorion proved formidable, taking out all but one of our attacker's compatriots, but nevertheless falling to his sword. I was powerless to stop him and so I fled. I soon ran into Imoen, another child refugee of Candlekeep who had apparently followed us from Candlekeep.

Imoen and I searched Gorion's body and found a letter from a man calling himself "E" which offers us very little in the way of new information. Apparently Gorion had known about the plot against my life for some time but spoke very little, we buried Gorion where he fell and then began to make our journey along the main road. Along the way we discovered a merchant named Kolssed who spoke of two travelers that had given him some trouble some ways north. Gorion himself had mentioned two allies named Khalid and Jaheria but it seemed unlikely that these two were one and the same as Gorion's allies had made lodging at the Friendly Arm Inn several hours north of our current location. I decided to investigate anyway, one can never have two many allies in these dark times.

2dr00o442ebv.png

It would seem my assumption was correct, the two allies are not Khalid and Jaheria, but instead a gruff halfling rogue by the named of Montaron and a rather dishelved human mage named Xzar. Imoen expressed her concerns about the two but they offered assistance in the form of healing potions as well as some information by the political climate. It would seem that there is some trouble brewing in the small Amnian mining town of Nashkel to the south that our new companions wish to investigate. This tale intrigues me so I assured them I would proceed due south after speaking with Gorion's contacts at the Friendly Arm. While the one called Montaron seemed somewhat aggravated about my response, I could sense a foreboding curiosity coming from Xzar. They are certainly the colourful duo, aren't they?

6tojrd7z07q5.png

A few hours from the Friendly Arm we were stopped by an old man who bore a striking resemblance to Elminster, though he gave little indication to suggest that he was indeed the legendary archmage. After pondering as to whether we are desperate or deranged (perhaps a bit of both when I consider present company) he pointed us in the direction of the Friendly Arm. I turned to thank the man for his unnecessary directions but he had vanished as quickly as he arrived. Surely the real Elminster would have more pressing matters than pestering inexperienced adventurers about their life choices, would he not?

nr4rta3d0ytr.png

Imoen has always had a keen eye and today is no exception, hidden within a tree trunk she discovered a magical ring of some sort that despite my knowledge I was unable to identify. This could proof quite useful later assuming it isn't cursed.

5yr5l8dg3osb.png

On the steps of the Friendly Arm Inn we were approached by a man named Tarnesh, he at first feigned hospitality but I quickly saw through his facade. That someone would attack us so soon after the ambush that fell Gorion cannot be a coincidence and I quickly pocketed a bounty notice found on his corpse. It would seem my head is worth 200 gold and I do not wish to find myself on the wrong end of a dagger at the hands of my new companions. Imoen took a liking to our would-be assassin's spellbook and though I am weary of what may come, Imoen has never been one to be kept away from what desires. It may very well be the death of her one day.

bxc9b40ahe4h.png

Upon entering the Friendly Arm, I encounter a fine specimen of a Half-Orc who seemed to be able to handle himself quite well, before I could speak with him about potentially joining forces he seemed to mistake Montaron for one of the Inn's wait staff. The half man didn't take too kindly to this suggestion and threatened my new acquaintance with a sword to the gut. I ordered him to stay his hand, this one could be useful in the future in more ways than one.

ran6vulwiyqe.png

I finally met with Khalid and Jaheria. It would seem they are longtime friends of Gorion who have sworn to protect me in the event of his death and it would also appear that they too wish to investigate the concerns that have arisen in Nashkel, though I suspect for wholly different reasons than Xzar and Montaron. Imoen seemed quite eager to travel with "Auntie Jaheria" and "Uncle Khalid" but we chose to leave Imoen behind in the safety of the Friendly Arm. Our new companions approved of this decision and Montaron muttered something about "dropping the dead weight" confirming my belief that the child is safer away from my present company. It is best she is not here for what may happen next, I sense a great darkness that rises within me and I do not wish to engulf young Imoen within it.

n2qjayy0u0jc.png
    s6uglxc08o6u.png
    tkqb7t1ihi06.png
    llk8q4nsvg1f.png

At a nearby temple I was able to identify the enchanted ring that Imoen found, it appears to grant its wearer increased power to channel the arcane though only for the most basic of spells. I gave the ring to the wizard and he gave a dark chuckle that seemed to greatly concern Khalid. Montaron informed him to "shut his trap before it was shut for him" and he remained quiet for a time but soon began mumbling to himself once more. Before we left the inn, I spoke with a dwarf named Unshey who spoke of an Ogre who stole a powerful belt from her and a halfling woman named Landrin who hired us to remove a nest of spiders from her home in exchange for compensation.

Montaron also impressively managed to steal a pair of Golden Pantaloons from right underneath the nose of a rather pompous fellow who much like our orchish friend downstairs mistook him for a member of the waitstaff. The pantaloons it would seem are of magical nature though even the owner of the temple was unable to identify their origin, no matter we shall keep them for the time being. Though I haven't traveled with Montaron long, I am still quite surprised he returned with these pantalons and not with the legs of the man who wore them. As amusing as that would be, I'm certain that my present company would frown upon such barbaric practices as would the local authorities.

AN: In reality I obtained the Pantaloons through conversation, this is the first of many liberties I will be taking with the events in order to present them in a more narratively pleasing way. I have several more screenshots as well but I figured I shouldn't make one post too long. Look forward to the next post very soon, if it isn't already here by the time you're reading this.
    AN: If in the future you notice a jump in HP it's because I'm not including every quest in the narrative, that would make for a narrative I would never be able to finish, lol.
    6vipwawqqrdu.png

One of Montaron's short swords crumbled into dust and the halfling rogue swore under his breath, I have heard rumors of an Iron Crisis that this confirms my suspicions that the events my companions wish to investigate somehow involve the brittle state that our iron is in.

p58o0l3pa46n.png

On the way to Beregost I discovered a little bit more about my companions. Jaheria and Khalid were members (along with Gorion) of the Harpers, though they have said little else. That Gorion was a member of such a secretive organization explains Gorion's furtive nature when speaking with me, though it raises more questions than it answers. Khalid appears to be a capable fighter as does Jaheria, but the latter also has a useful connection to the forces of nature.

Xzar and Montaron spoke little of their motives, but Jaheria and Khalid suspect them to be from a rival organization known as the Zhentarim, a darker and even more enigmatic organization than even the Harpers and the two have done nothing to subvert these claims. Xzar has made it no secret however that he is a Necromancer and seems to relish in this fact. Montaron appears to be an assassin of some sorts.

When we finally arrived in Beregost we were greeted by a man named Golin Vend who gave us a map of the town at my request. What a charming if not rustic fellow!

1tt0q0h1geev.png

It was agreed that we should first go to the local blacksmith to purchase more equipment. On the way there we were accosted by a somewhat crazed young half-elf who wanted our help against "vicious magic bandits" which turned out to be members of the Red Wizards of Thay! Does she take me for a fool? I have no desire to earn the ire of such a powerful organization when my life is already in danger. Were I to help this inexperienced imbecile I would have already signed my death warrant!

Unfortunately, Jaheria and Khalid insisted on defending the young woman and Montaron was eager to put a blade in anyone who even implied to threaten his life. When the leader of their group ( a man who called himself Ekandor) arrived Xzar and Montaron attempted to bargain with him but when he offered their "continued existence" they took offense and we had no choice but to defend ourselves.

Though the odds were stacked against us, Tymora shined her light this day, and the woman (who appears to be a Wild Mage) teleported him somewhere else leaving only his minions behind. Unfortunately for us we also found ourselves randomly teleported but nevertheless made short work of our attackers. Our party reached the nearly unanimous decision to direct the woman to the Friendly Arm Inn instead of taking her into the party, all accept Xzar who expressed interest in using her for his experiments.

2dd8ahnmrhxb.png
    ctgegyhve73d.png

When we arrived at the local blacksmith, we discovered his shop to be closed. I advised Montaron to return in the night to reappropriate whatever he may but he found himself unable to pick a single lock within the place. He mumbled something about slitting Thunderhammer's throat but begrudgingly turned in for the night along with the rest of the party.
    3cxa2km7ekjs.png
    oowat6det04f.png
    u9tgrq6dc12s.png
    37ze52pkz2ku.png
    p4hcjikxsodz.png

In the morning we split ways and went about town trying to gather information about the Iron Crisis to the south. I spoke with Firebead in his home and he was unable to provide me with any new information but he promised a scroll case in return for purchasing a book from the Feldepost Inn. I promised to do at my earliest convenience and regrouped with the party at the Burning Wizard. It would seem that most of the locals of the opinion that the Iron Crisis is being manufactured by Amn in an attempt to go to war with Baldur's Gate. If this is true than perhaps it would be best to flee the area and return when such a conflict is resolved but something tells me my companions would not appreciate such a gesture on my part. It would seem I have no choice but to travel to the heart of this conflict.

Before we could depart from the Burning Wizard, we were approached by a halfling rogue named Zhurlong who offered us 100 gold in exchange for locating his "lucky boots" which had been stolen by a group of Hobgoblins directly south of town. Unfortunately, he made the mistake of picking 25 gold off Montaron and was met with a poisoned dagger as a result forcing us to flee the establishment before someone made a connection and called the city guard.

On our way out we were met by a bard named Garrick who agreed to cover for us in exchange for doing a favor for his employer Silke and also offered us 300 gold as additional compensation. Silke wished for us to defend her against a group of thugs hired by none other than Feldepost himself to assassinate her. When the "thugs" arrived however they seemed to be fellow rogues under Silke's own employ. Not wishing to kill anymore innocents with the Flaming Fist watching around every corner I decided it best to deny her request and was not at all surprised that she attacked us a result. She was quite the formidable foe and attempted to strike us with a Lightning Bolt but was cleaved in two by Khalid before she could finish the spell. We received a few potions as thanks and Garrick traveled the local Flaming Fist garrison to fulfill his end of the bargain. Good man, Garrick if a bit too innocent. I see great things in his future.

5gc3yiolsdbp.png
    vxkb4k8mdyed.png

We purchased the book requested by Firebead, an interesting short story based on the legend of Tymora's Coin of Fate. I choose to believe that one writes their own destiny but it is an interesting read nonetheless. In exchange Firebead gave us the promised scroll case as well as The History of the Dead Three, another short story this time about the former gods of death: Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul who were slain during the Time of Troubles. Jaheria and Khalid seemed quite uneasy at me reading this tale while Xzar took great interest in reading it as well. Montaron who I've come to realize doesn't care too much for the art of knowledge expressed his intentions to "wipe his arse" with the pages.

ejskfw8l32o3.png

Just before planning to leave town we purchased foodstuffs from a rather unpleasant fellow named Kagain, a strongman who ran a small mercenary company out of Beregost. He hired us to help locate a missing caravan belonging to Grand Duke Silvershield's son Eddard. With the massive increase in bandit activity the noble is likely dead but I suppose it couldn't hurt to investigate for a few gold coins and having a strong axe to defend us could prove useful in the near future should assassins continue to threaten my existence.
    j7fmeu97ajyq.png

We started our search to the immediate south of Beregost and found not a caravan, but a drow priestess named Viconia who was beset by a mercenary of the Flaming Fist. Seeing the opportunity to have a drow in my debt I assisted our latest acquaintance and discovered that she is a refugee from her kind, shunned and hunted for choosing the moon goddess Shar over the far more twisted matriarch of drowkind Lloth. At Jaheria's urging I refused the offer of her company but informed Viconia that I would return one day to claim my debt.

ivgkkn4pztma.png

When we finally located the missing caravan, we discovered it ransacked by Hobgoblins which we made short work of. On one such Hobgoblin we found the "lucky boots" that Zhurlong spoke of which seem to give the wearer increased stealth (perhaps this would have suited the fellow in his endeavors to lift Mr. Montaron's purse) I gave these to Montaron and Kagain agreed to travel with us as far as Nashkel before parting ways, not wishing to stay north of Amn when no doubt Grand Duke Silvershield would seek the head of the one who failed to protect his son.

AN: In reality the bandits are human and located north of Beregost but I thought this made more sense storywise, Kagain was also swapped out for Shar-Teel soon after.

g26lrsf5i3at.png
    u701ommobmbl.png

About an hours journey north of Nashkel we were approached by some form of savage woman who challenged our party to a duel. Intrigued, I accepted her offer and negotiated the terms that should we defeat our champion we would pay her the handsome sum of 20 gold but should we emerge victoriously than she would be indebted into our service. She spat in my direction and made several comments suggested that being male made me weak and though I chose to humor her, Kagain took great offense and chose to take Jaheria's place as our champion. Perhaps spurned on by Kagain's aggressive victory (she was nearly decapitated!) she made several remarks towards the "goody-two shoes" nature of the party. Though I would agree this is an apt description of Khalid and Jaheria, I don't feel it accurate describes my goals as a whole. No matter, what my companions choose to believe does not concern me.

AN: When I got to Nashkel, I sent Shar-Teel to rob and kill Joseph's wife to bring our reputation down to acceptable levels to keep Shar-Teel but given this just isn't a decision that Tan would make I didn't include it in the narrative. That being said, Shar-Teel being a problematic err...bastard? Is going to be a recurring theme in the future anyway so no need to worry about that.

hyx6l3e9h423.png

When we reached the outskirts of Nashkel, we met a traveler from Waterdeep. Though why such a wealthy nobleman who travel alone during these troubled times escapes me he made for quite the spirited bit of discussion. Whilst I get the sense my companions may not appreciate the finer things in life I choose to believe that fews things are greater than a glass of Waterdeep's finest wine and a man whose intelligence and appreciation of the arts matches my own. I do sincerely hope that this Lord Foreshadow makes it to his destination.

AN: Tan may be Evil, but he makes an excellent guest. But then again if one is not a smooth operator, can one really calls themselves a bard?

1kbjczxn1fze.png

At the urging of my companions (with the exception of the savage woman who introduced herself as Shar-Teel) I spoke with Berrun Ghastkill, the mayor of Nashkel. He confirmed my suspicions that something within the mines is corrupting the ore. It doesn't take a great deal of intelligence to realize that this is no Amnian plot, though perhaps someone is working in the shadows to instigate such a conflict.

otuy71pngftl.png
    tjjgihjbbzy4.png
    vpgrlgiob12b.png

Curses! It would seem those who wish me dead are getting more bold in their attempts, and now the bounty upon my head is not only far larger, but common knowledge. The woman who attempted to slay me was considerably more powerful than my previous attackers but a terrifying swing of Shar-Teel's sword ended her life instead. Xzar and Montaron kept mostly to themselves in the night, though the necromancer attempted to pester the savage woman multiple times before we all retired for the night.

When I awoke I discovered that Shar-Teel had brutally executed Xzar and Montaron, discovering coins on their person that confirmed they were indeed Zhentarim. According to Shar-Teel, Montaron attempted to slit our throats while we slept and made the very poor decision to attack Shar-Teel first, she then killed the necromancer as well just be safe. Though my Harper companions will no doubt sleep better knowing the world has two fewer members of the Zhentarim I suspect they are equally concerned about our newest traveling companion. I however she great things in Ms. Shar Teel's future should see continue to prove her loyalty to my cause. Great things indeed.

AN: So there you have it folks, Tan is slowly forming a group that suits his plans. Currently that group consists of the two Harpers that swore to protect Tan with their lives and a savage warrior who will follow Tan where ever he goes so long as bloodshed is involved. Right now I just need two more people....
    AN: I'm actually quite a bit further ahead than my current posts but I don't usually have the time and energy to post everything at once. Think of it like a TV show where episodes are filmed long before they are shown on TV.

8340m04ai8h2.png

I did not have far to search to find a mage to replace Xzar as the townsfolk pointed me in the direction of a rather narcisstic fellow named Edwin Odesseiron. Edwin agreed to pledge his service to our cause for one year in exchange for assistance in "dealing" with a rival witch by the name of Dynaheir. I know not what conflict these two have and when pressed for details Mr. Odesseiron gave very little but I suspect we have a Red Wizard in our midst. The opportunity to have a Red Wizard of Thay in my debt? How could any sane man refuse.

eht8ipw58mbr.png
    jdnv2vlslz6h.png

Hoping to find both information and entertainment, I led the group to the nearby Carnival. There I heard a wonderful tale from a fellow bard and Jaheria rescued a Priestess of Tempus from her stone prison. Though I see no place for her in our party at the moment, I must say that I retain a certain glee from knowing so many are in my debt.

pv568f4v6o2i.png

My curiosity sated, we made the journey to the Nashkel Mines but soon found ourselves beset by a group of well-equipped bandits. I was uncertain as to how this encounter would fare but we soon found ourselves rescued by none other than the half-orc we met at the Friendly Arm. He introduced himself as Dorn and made quick work of our assailants and proposed to recruit me into his quest for revenge. From what little that Mr. Dorn has told me it would seem that his former companions left him to die in Luskan. Knowing myself what the sting of betrayal feels like I agreed to assist him in exchange for his aid against my own enemies. It would seem my circle of acquaintance is getting quite formidable indeed.

k15qqstm4jca.png

When we made camp for the night I was surprised to find that the savage woman wished to share her company. Far be it from me to refuse such an offer, it was however the nightmarish visions that came in the night that proved the more interesting. I was plagued with twisted visions of Gorion's murder that only became darker as the visions progressed. When I awoke I could feel the ability to draw from the life force of another coursing through my veins. I know nothing of why I would be bestowed with such power, I shall have to investigate when I am given the chance.

glrwt93nd61o.png

On the Western Edge of the cliffs near the mines we met a man named Prism who was crafting a stunning sculpture of an elven woman name Ellesieme using gems stolen from the Amnian garrison. With the assistance of a woman named Isra we aided Prism against a man named Greywolf who wished to turn Prism in for his crimes. Nah! The true crime would be to rob this man of his life's true passion! Such a beautiful work of fine craftmanship should not be undone. Though we ultimately prevailed against this Greywolf, Prism collapsed from exhaustion. A toast to thee Prism, any man who is willing to die for his work is a man worthy of a bard's song.

AN: At this point I took a detour to the Gnoll Stronghold to both gain some levels and keep Edwin but I'm going to feature that after the mines for story reasons, I'll make another post soon.
    edited December 2020
    Tan S1E06

v3a37h4rei68.png

When made our way back to Nashkel to heal from our equipment and identify a powerful Long Sword under Greywolf's possession. It would seem to be a powerful enchantment that produces ice-based necrosis in those it strikes. This was quickly taken by the savage woman who wished to watch her enemies suffer, greatly concerning the Harpers among us.

When I awoke, I was surprised to find Dorn waiting directly outside my room. He informed me that he had received a lead on one of his targets to the east of Nashkel. It would seem that many of the townsfolk are being led away by a woman using dark magic who fits the description of a necromancer named Kryll.

qw0eb289583m.png
    zjh0sz9tb4d3.png
    jan5m40iek6z.png

The party under the unanimous agreement that we should stamp out any undead we proceed east and soon found the area crawling with Skeletons. Dorn was certain we had found our target and this proved accurate not long after. We found Kryll and dispatched her quickly but our party took some time to recover from the magics at her employ which filled all but Dorn with the utmost fear. On her corpse, we discovered a letter pointing us in the direction of Baldur's Gate. It would seem Dorn's quest for vengeance shall have to be put on hold for now as from what I have learned the city remains closed.

sbh2i1370nmn.png

Shar-Teel surprised all of us by volunteering her skills as a rogue for our foray into the Nashkel mines. While she insisted she was far more skilled as a fighter I could not refuse the offer. Our party is in dire need of a rogue.

bmffbys5rj95.png
    tju2gnrp6jap.png
    61ys0nemvypc.png
    1o0fshm2q5nb.png
    ypcacxyv8s73.png
    86i2uicinujk.png

The master of the mines, Emerson was a troublesome fellow. He allowed us to investigate the mines at Jaheria's urging but told us that he would only ramp up the already dangerous activity within if we did not return within 24 hours. We ventured deeper into the mines and found several kobolds poisoning iron ore and laying traps which Shar-Teel proved her worth by disarming. When we reached what appeared to be the inner sanctum of the kobolds and Shar-Teel chose to scout ahead and discovered an elven fellow who she promptly executed. I suspect he was innocent but I shall shed no tear over the matter and I will this quiet from the Harpers.

We confronted the master of the mines, a half-orc named Mulahey who summoned a large group of kobolds and skeletons to defend him but he was defeated quickly enough. Inside his chest we found several useful potions and two letters connecting Mulahey to someone named Tazok as well as Moonblade that I suspect once belonged to the elven fellow. Shar-Teel decided to keep this as a trophy of her kill.

When we arrived back at the surface, Emerson was in much better spirits than when we entered though he seemed to care little for the crisis itself and chose to continue mining despite the piling of useless iron. No matter, it is not my decision, we have more important matters to investigate.
    Tan: S1E07

yurbxqomow1d.png

Before we returned to Nashkel, Dorn took me aside and expressed his rather asinine distrust in every other member of the group, with the exception of the savage woman I suspect he has very little to worry about. Though Khalid and Jaheria surely suspect my true motives by now I am certain they would not simply execute me without proper cause especially give their connection to Gorion. I did nothing to assuage these concerns, Dorn does not strike me as a man easily swayed with mere words alone but with action and it is by action that I shall prove the difference between Dorn's previous companions and my own.

a3moflhxl9p0.png
    5rwd7ymn8w89.png
    4gldu8um811u.png
    rjirbhfi9nh8.png

When we returned to Nashkel, we were greeted by Berrun Ghastkill who was elated that we had solved the mystery surrounding the Iron Crisis, if only partially. He informed us that Thunderhammer of Beregost may be able to undo the effects of the tainted iron but with the shipments limited this would likely only effect his own current supply. No matter, if only a select few can be supplied with quality iron than I intend to be among them.

Before we could rest at the Inn and prepare our strategy for the coming days we were attacked by a formidable assassin named Nimbul who proved impervious to all of our ranged attacks. Dorn and the savage woman made quick work of him but we also received aid from a man named Rasaad who gave us a short sermon about the various orders of Sun Soul Monks, I allowed the rest of the party to depart as I could see the savage woman was quickly losing her patience with those of the religious persuasion and took the time to discover what I could as well as to scribe a spell which would allow me to summon a familiar. I now have in my possession a Dust Mephit who will do my bidding without question, this shall prove most useful.

33yp08lvj5jj.png

Again I suffered a bone-chilling but intriguing dream, I found myself back within the Nashkel Mines slaughtereing many a foe as if I had razor sharp talons. I was met with a ghastly apparition of Mulahey which I asphyxiated with my bare hands before I too was slaughtered by the taloned creature I once was. When I awoke a distant voice told me to use the gifts bestowed to me and I found myself with yet another charge of life-draining magic. What is this dark power that speaks to me? I am uncertain and yet something inside tells me that I should listen. One thing is certain however, I must not speak of these dreams with the others. They shall be content to know this power is no different from simple arcane cantrips.

yn626z4wy8vq.png
    zl0lwtgo31cm.png

Before we left I spoke with Edwin, who confirmed my suspicions that he was indeed a Red Wizard of Thay, though he must certainly be a low-ranking one. Though he trust me little, we agreed to spin the narrative that Edwin's target was a dangerous witch who escaped the Amnian prison known only as Spellhold. I was surprised that the Harpers fell for this ruse but nevertheless, we journeyed west and found our quarry once again imprisoned with a once-great stronghold crawling with Gnolls. Dorn made short work of her before she could counter our claims and through some sheer miracle (or most likely sleight of hand on Edwin's part) we discovered documents on Dynaheir's corpse backing his claims. It would appear the Red Wizard survives another day, though I do not think such a ruse will work twice on our Harper Companions. I think it best we move on with our current quest before unwanted questions arise.

The less my companions know of my true motives, the more I shall be able to accomplish, for the quiet hand guides best.
    Tan S1E08

rl9yu3506zcw.png

When we arrived in Beregost we were once again met by the red-robed man who confirmed his identity as Elminster! Elminster seemed quite familiar with Khalid and Jaheria. This concerns me: is Elminster a leader among the Harpers? I had not expected The Sage of Shadowdale to be hounding my every step. Nevertheless, he provided useful information that the bandits plaguing the Coast Way make a habit of traveling in the Northeast.

We also met with an Officer Vai of the Flaming Fist who offered us 50 gold each in exchange for Bandit Scalps. A barbaric practice but if they require evidence of the deed then so be it.

bxs9q1clukw4.png
    g0w5l0bsrhzr.png

From Tranzig's recently departed corpse we found evidence that more or less confirmed Elminster's directions (as if I would doubt such a powerful source) showing that Tranzig intended to meet with one of two mercenary groups hidden somewhere within the Wood of Sharp Teeth.

The savage woman also "convinced" a fellow named Algernon to part ways with his magical cloak. While her methods are a bit sloppy I cannot argue with the results as the cloak enhances my already impressive social repertoire

vjwpggj9xgzj.png
    j2z0zfh9bvgq.png

Whilst resting at the Friendly Arm Inn I took upon myself to further my studies. I was deep into a book on the History of Tethyr, recently overthrown within a single day due to a series of poorly executed plans when the savage woman informed me that she had a rather aggressive reaction when the dwarf Unshey attempted to "steal" Dorn's belt. Her behavior is beginning to be increasingly problematic and harder to explain to the Harpers among us. Nevertheless, there appears to be a shady fellow in possession of a suspiciously realistic statue so if questioned we shall blame the matter on him. I warned Shar-Teel to tread lightly for her bloodshed may spell my own undoing in the near future if not properly trained.

oqmwy94zoiny.png
    abb34e2q45gz.png
    oyhopseesr0u.png
    5bs50px855qh.png

Venturing into the Wood of Sharp Teeth, we were accosted by far more formidable bandits than the rabble that clutter the Coast Way though perhaps due to the cloak so "expertly" obtained by Shar-Teel I was able to convince one of their leaders to allow me access to their camp. Most of the population of the camp (certainly a sizable one I do not believe my party could overcome) did not even possess the intelligence to question our presence; those guarding Mr. Tazok's tent however were not as dim-witted.

Shar-Teel fell to a poisoned arrow from a Hobgoblin marksman and Jaheria suffered minor injuries but we ultimately prevailed. Among the slain guard's equipment we found a scroll containing a spell capable of weakening magical protections (this the Red Wizard attempted to take for himself but I quickly swiped from his hand, such power shall be mine and mine alone) as well as letters connecting Tazok to a man named Davaeorn who operates a mine deep within the Cloakwood. Strange, I have not heard of such an operation in the past, but it would seem the Cloakwood should be the next target of our investigations. Perhaps however it would do our party good to gather a sizable amount of power before proceeding against undoubtedly more formidable foes.
    Tan S1E09

n4jztw2wlrpm.png

Returning to the Friendly Arm to resurrect our fallen comrade, we were once again met by Elminster who did little more than confirm our information on the Iron Throne's operation in Cloakwood, I am becoming quite convinced that these impromptu meetings are naught more than an excuse to check on my progress. I thanked Elminster for his information and attempted to gouge more information on his connection to Gorion but he said little and vanished as quickly as he arrived.

abqkixaauv95.png
    g7roabfppanq.png

Before raising Shar-Teel I opted to donate a sizable sum to the local temple, though this does little to assuage the concerns of my Harper friends it should suffice to prove my "worth" as a well-respected member of society and prevent any undue attention from any town guard. Rather than explain my actions to the savage woman I chose instead to fill her easily distracted mind with tales of bounties and bloodshed. I've heard rumors of a mad Priest of Cyric causing trouble in the region. To boost my reputation as well as quell the savage bloodlust of both Shar-Teel and Dorn? That shall suit my needs quite nicely.

dm4dcvwjvygb.png
    cuctds8jjufu.png

Turning in the bounty on the mad priest's head granted our party a much needed 5000 gold with which to resupply. After doing so we traveled due south from High Hedge is search of adventure and power. Never did I expect to run into a horde of Gnolls! While such creatures are usually far beneath my skill set their numbers were such that even the legendary Drizzt Do'Urden himself required assistance. Together we found ourselves able to best the countless gnolls but 4 of our number were slain. Dorn wished to kill Mr. Do'Urden for "luring us into a death trap" but both Jaheria and I convinced the blackguard to stay his hand. I shall not find myself at the end of Mr. Do'Urden's blades of that I am certain.

ool95b42trj2.png
    sld111inlin5.png
    xqc5mtwalxvk.png

Upon being raised, the savage woman expressed only a great interest in continued bloodshed, insisting she was now comfortable enough with her rogue skills to wear heavier equipment once again. Though the others among us were more content to rest a while so indeed we chose to do so. When we awoke, we journeyed once again west in pursuit of a powerful sword used by the Captain of the guard to kill numerous civilians and even fell two horses with a single swing! This sword however turned out to be cursed to send the wielder into endless blind spells of the very blood wrath the citizens of Nashkel spoke of. No matter, the man is at peace now and I am in possession of a tool that could prove quite useful if conveniently placed into the wrong hands.

8s6vrvbbhynv.png
    avyry6f25z6o.png

Satisfied for now with my quest for knowledge and power, we proceeded north to the Cloakwood but found ourselves confronted by a Basilisk! Though Jaheria suggested we shield our eyes and flee as far as we could without looking back, Shar-Teel once again allowed her bloodlust to consume her and was turned to stone. Not wishing any other to possess the knowledge I have obtained, I quickly fired a Chromatic Orb to destroy our fallen companion once and for all. Her presence in the group was becoming problematic and I cannot take any chances.

When we returned to the Friendly Arm I made a decision I am likely to regret but am unable to avoid. Our party is in desperate need of a rogue and the only person of such a skill set readily available is the one person for whom I genuinely care for. It would seem Imoen has expanded her skill in both stealth and of the arcane crafting a somewhat unstable artifact that increases one's coordination.

Though I do not wish my rising darkness to consume poor Imoen it would seem that I have discarded a pawn in exchange for a knight.

Let the game begin, Mr. Daeavorn....let the games begin.

AN: This feels like one hell of a mid-season finale. I'm quite proud of the narrative I'm spinning.
    Tan S1E10

ltqnx7izrdhw.png
    39f8d6xnniwl.png
    qipy180jvbid.png

Not expecting a grand adventure, Imoen needed to resupply before we departed. When we finally arrived in the Cloakwood we encountered a band of tasloi in possession of a considerably powerful cloak which allows the wearer to pass undetected should they delve into the shadows. This I gave to Imoen without question as it may prove useful in the future. Soon after we encountered a nobleman named Sashenstar who hired us to protect him from "savages" though these savages turned out to be Druids of the Cloakwood. Sensing an opportunity to gain a powerful ally, I changed my allegiance (much to the chagrin of my less noble compatriots) and when Sashenstar lay dead we took possession of his magical bastard sword. It would appear this sword has magical properties that may prove useful against lycanthropes and other shapeshifters.

ixeq2cssqc4b.png
    57zimfw85hgp.png
    1rwp017zq6f4.png
    q8qbsjx5bdya.png

Gaining an alliance with the Druids proved more troublesome than I predicted. It would seem the Cloakwood is also home to a far more aggressive sect known as the Shadow Druids. In truth I have heard of these Shadow Druids, they possess quite the powerful skillset and were that it could not be helped with present company I would choose to gain their allegiance instead. As it stood I said nothing and we proceeded northwest into the far deeper and less forgiving depths of the Cloakwood. Here, Jaheria told us that we should have great reason to fear the Spiders and Ettercaps that made their home here and indeed that made readily apparent when a cabal of six particularly intelligent beasts slew both Khalid and Dorn.

4178n5ld6bwk.png

Forced to return to the Friendly Arm and regroup, we made our way back a few days later with as many remedies for poison as our gold could buy. Forced to navigate treacherous webs and face spiders larger than most men we found ourselves trapped inside a cave where a horrendously cursed woman commanded a small army of the creatures. After dispatching all the creatures we found a powerful greatsword that prevents the restriction of movement and the bodies of several unfortunate souls who ventured into the cave before us.

Emerging from the other side we found ourselves among much calmer foliage though the average forest dangers still posed a threat. We rescued a fellow bard by the name of Eldoth Kron from a particularly aggressive Cave Bear. Mr. Kron thanked us with a toast of Brandy (is it too much to ask that more of those in distress would thank us in the same way?) and he spun an interesting tale of love and treachery. Though his offer to "liberate" the daughter of Entar Silvershield and blackmail the Grand Duke was intriguing I was forced to decline by my Harper companions. It troubles me that such lucrative opportunities continued to be sullied in the spirit of hiding my true motives.

lliexq6w5agp.png
    w4p7hr33vugk.png
    w3r0053oez3k.png
    ee90mjcuconn.png

Not long after encountering Mr. Kron, we found ourselves in the Shadow Druid's Grove. After rescuing one of Jaheria's comrades they directed us to the Great Oak of the Shadowclave where we slew the Shadow Druids residing and rescued the remainder of Seniyad's Grove. Returning to Sashenstar's former cabin we received a powerful club capable of summoning lightning regardless of weather and a magical staff that seemed to be able to create potions than none among us could use.

With Jaheria's superiors on our side we proceed further into the Cloakwood to discover what just how far the rabbit hole goes when concerned with the Iron Throne's operations within the Cloakwood.
    AN: As of December 15th I've reached Siege of Dragonspear. This is obviously going to be quite the roadblock for me as a hack 'n slash. I'll figure it out though.

Tan S1E11

iayl4d27byzy.png
    duz2cr1k7lqd.png
    6v1n8j5gkd9c.png

We reached the Cloakwood Mining Operation and were not surprised to find it's defenses to be nigh impenetrable. The leader of their party, Drasus wore boots that outpaced even our fastest magics and it was accompanied by an axe throwing strongman, two powerful mages and multiple deadly archers. With some luck and expending a great deal of our resources we managed to defeat our foes and appropriated these "Boots of Speed" for ourselves along with a powerful belt that made Khalid as strong as Dorn.

hkdyuazdzu28.png

On the first floor of the mine we found several malnourished human men forced into servitude by Mr. Daeavorn, surprisingly one of these humans was dressed slightly more modestly than the others (a well-respected individual kept alive to prevent rebellion, perhaps?) After Dorn rather brutally executed this man's guard, the grateful prisoner informed us that he was kept in charge of reinforcing a seal that prevented the mines from being flooded. He bid us speak to another prisoner named Rill who might be able to provide us with more information.

cyodn6r5wq8p.png

It would Imoen's interest in the arcane has increased exponentially in our absence as she has done little but pester Edwin about his knowledge since we arrived in the Cloakwood. I am amused at the Red Wizard's restraint as I am certain he would leave the party over such transgressions were he not somehow drawn to the power I continue to accumulate. It is quite strange how quickly we are progressing, but one should not look a gift horse in the mouth. This power is mine and I shall use it as I see fit.

3vfpx04qy6rh.png
    9h8n6xhyiies.png

After dispatching another mage guarding the prison cells, we spoke with Rill who told us that with 100 gold he would be able to bribe the leader of the Black Talon Mercenaries to look the other way whilst he staged a rebellion. Edwin scoffed at the idea but the rest of the party saw the brilliance in using such a tactic as a distraction while we ventured further into the mines. I also spoke briefly with an aged dwarven man by the name of Yeslick who provided a detailed history of the operation as well as directions to Daeavorn's lair.

kepar7ad4zj2.png
    4w3mg6pj40zh.png
    a6iil267o645.png
    qhal56z4awyk.png
    w6svdgwdagfv.png

Though Daeavorn's chamber was heavily trapped and the man himself employed powerful teleportation magics against us, he proved no match for our combined forces without his mercenaries to defend him (I shall have to thank Mr. Rill should I ever encounter him in the future) his magical defenses obliterated by twin crushing blows from Khalid and Dorn he was quickly dispatched by Edwin's Magic Missile before he could even finish his monologue. I shame, I really do love a good monologue regardless of the intent.

It would seem that the plot thickens, the Iron Throne has had their claws in the region for many years and their most recent leader Reiltar has been using power shifts and rebellions to distract from his motives while his agents infiltrate the most powerful of his mercantile rivals in Baldur's Gate. He is using the leaders of both Baldur's Gate and Amn just as he used Mr. Yeslick. Now however, I can at the very least cripple his plans. Perhaps if I can lift the veil that Rieltar has placed over the Sword Coast, I can replace it with my own.

Yes, I think that we do nicely. We shall travel to Baldur's Gate to dispatch Dorn's former allies and then we shall do the same to this Iron Throne.
    edited December 2020
    As of Christmas, I made it to BG2 but I'm having some troubles so I'll be taking a break from Tan. I still intend to tell the rest of the story, but I feel a great desire to play the Paladin (or a Paladin-Like) role, but possibility from somewhat of a different perspective. I've had a run run since I got to BG2 and the story I planned out became a bit muddled.

Expect to catch up with Tan's story sometime in January while I role up a good-aligned character of some sort.

Edit: As of December 29th I've decided simply to return my No-Reload Attempts for now. Tan will return, and I'll post his story up to Chapter 14 (Chapter 2 of BG2) in January when I have time to write it.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on