Skip to content

Getting Started - How to Host a Module

ZuzubofZuzubof Member Posts: 9
In the old days of BioWare, I had two copies of the game on two different machines. I made the game on "my" computer, then moved the mod to my "server" for folks to play. In those days, you could buy a dedicated IP address from Comcast(?) / Verizon (?) and I gave that address to my players and then the "server" hosted the game and we could all play together. Then they went to dynamic IP's and that stopped working for me. But now we're here with NWN:EE.

I understand there's a service (don't have the name at my fingertips) that'll re-direct players to my "server" through the company's magic. That's great!

But my real question is: If I want to have a separate machine/server to host the game, does THAT computer need its own subscription to Steam to do so?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• RaztaxRaztax Member Posts: 1
    I have been tinkering around with the server kit through Steam and so far what I have found is that the server pc does not need a Steam account or need Steam running while the server is up. However, if you use SteamCMD to install/update the server, it does not allow anonymous login and will need your Steam credentials to log in (to SteamCMD).

I thought it was pretty odd that SteamCMD does not allow anonymous logins for installing the server as it is the only one I have come across, and I have run several game servers over the years. I can only assume it is because it installs the entire game and not just the stand alone server kit.