Skip to content

Item Randomizer Mod thoughts

Item Randomizer Mod thoughts.

The first time I tried this mod I ended up rage quitting. What! No Azure's Edge? No Shield of Balduran! GM in Katana's and CF isn't anywhere to be found!

After a starting an IWD game and seeing the random loot in it, I decided to give the mod another try. Really glad I did. I won't say that it makes BG2 feel like a different game, because it doesn't. Same encounters, same locations. What it does do is force you to rethink how you build you character/party around the different weapon proficiencies as you can't be sure where that weapon you always pick up in Ch 2 is going to end up. Odds are that it won't be IN ch 2! Example. My play through all the "normal" quests in ch. 2 no CF, belm, daystart, the 2 "starter" short bows, Robe of V, ect... Like I said it really makes you ponder how much investment you are going to make into your pips for something that you might not get until chapter 6. There are 2 exceptions of good weapons that aren't' randomized that can allow you to power game a bit.

I will also say that it did force me to really think about which quest ea to do early considering not having the greatest inventory of magic items. I normally play with only 2 or 3 characters, but I found that a bigger party works much better early game to make up for the lack of potent magic items. By the time you get a few of the major side quests under your belt I felt like I could whittle down the size of the party a bit.

On the negative side, PP is almost useless except for stealing from merchants (against my house rules anyway) and since most of the big ticket items are not in vendor stores you have even more money than normal to spend on consumables. Despite that I highly recommend it for veteran players.

Comments

• StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited August 2018
    I couldn't agree more. The randomiser is the one mod that makes the game replayable. If one could randomise the location of traps too the randomiser were even better. But I don't know if that is technically possible at all.