Skip to content

Best weapon setup for a level 9 dual kensai/mage in SCS

I'm planning on playing with FoA main-hand (with modded free action so improved haste still works) and Kundane off-hand. However, I'm not sure if my THAC0 will be able to keep up in ToB, especially since kensais can't use most THAC0 boosting items. I do have Haer'dalis in my party so his Enhanced Bard Song combined with FoA's slow effect should help. I'm also planning on boosting my strength to a natural 22 (tome + machine + hell trials).

I'm not sure if FoA or Crom Faeyr would be optimal in my situation. The three extra THAC0 from Crom Faeyr would be nearly equivalent to the AC penalty from FoA's slow with the advantage of not having to get the slow effect to actually apply first. On the other hand, FoA's slow would help all my party members. However, if i give my PC Crom Faeyr, I could give someone else (Anomen) FoA, so FoA's slow effect might still be present in battle. In this case, FoA would hit less frequently as it would be used by Anomen instead of my PC, resulting in an overall damage loss in cases where THAC0 is not an issue as well as less frequent application of slow. If I do decide to let my PC use FoA, I'll probably end up replacing Anomen with Sarevok, which would further increase the damage difference.

Comments

• borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2018
    Ganon27 said:

I'm planning on playing with FoA main-hand (with modded free action so improved haste still works) and Kundane off-hand. However, I'm not sure if my THAC0 will be able to keep up in ToB, especially since kensais can't use most THAC0 boosting items.

FoA is the best weapon in the game, the slow is incredible. But it is worth it to keep the staff of the magi on switch.

Thac0 is never a problem for this sort of character. I am playing a berserker(9)>mage dual wielding FoA through ToB right now. You have so many options to deal with monsters. Usually, if something is not outright immune to your weapon because of spell protections, it dies very quickly. Monsters with high AC are rare.

And even in the rare fights where you could need more Thac0 (dragons), several spells make it a non-issue. Timestop bypasses AC. Tenser's transformation raises your Thac0 to absurd levels. If that is not enough, you can also kill things with damage spells. Triple skull trap in a sequencer is my favourite, it's deadly. And then you can also summon planetars and stuff.
    Post edited by borntodie on