Skip to content

Shapeshift druids

Does beamdog still update this game? I just started playing again and was curious if there were any planned patches/modifications to the game. I've always loved the shapeshift druid but hate how late game the only way to make them effective is to transform out of werewolf form into caster with a +3 or better weapon to hit things. Kind of defeats the purpose past level 15ish and especially late game. I'd love for their melee attacks to be able to count as +4 weapons even if they dont get the damage buff, I just want to be able to hit things!

Comments

• DragonwizardDragonwizard Member Posts: 22
    There is a nice mod which rebalances and changes the werewolf form to your needs.

DOWNLOAD LINK: --> http://www.mediafire.com/download/z30wb0pbdsz5863/Saradas Revisioned Shapeshifter v1_1.zip
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    Lightburn said:

Does beamdog still update this game? I just started playing again and was curious if there were any planned patches/modifications to the game. I've always loved the shapeshift druid but hate how late game the only way to make them effective is to transform out of werewolf form into caster with a +3 or better weapon to hit things. Kind of defeats the purpose past level 15ish and especially late game. I'd love for their melee attacks to be able to count as +4 weapons even if they dont get the damage buff, I just want to be able to hit things!

Unfortunately shapeshifting has been a very useless ability since BG was released. Mods can indeed fix that.
    If you intend to play druid, you should seriously consider mods anyway, unless you multi/dual (and even then). It is hard to change too dramatically the AD&D rules (that would lead to a different game, rather than just a patch), so you won't see it in a patch. If you want to make your druid good enough to be comparable with other classes, mods are your friends.
  • LightburnLightburn Member Posts: 2
    Damn, I really just want the ability to overcome damage resistance from lesser weapons. I feel like the class is pretty well balanced otherwise with the right gear options. I have a druid I dual classed to fighter and with the correct gear their MR is at 100%, -4 thaco, ~-20 AC, 4 APR, near immunity to most things with the correct buffs/spells. Really fun. Kind of annoying to clear an area and then have one or two guys you have to pop out of wolf form for to finish off with a spear/whirlwind. Sure other classes can do that and more with even less gear, but I just love the idea of playing a shapeshifter.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2018
    If you have a mage in your party, he can cast Enchant Weapon on your (already shapeshifted) druid. That should make his claws hit as +3 weapons, although I didn't test it.

The good news is that this spell has a very long duration: up to 100 rounds at caster level 20.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    " If you want to make your druid good enough to be comparable with other classes, mods are your friends."

Druids already are comparable with other classes. They compare well too. Druids have acces to some of the best spells in the series. Shame about the shapeshifting though.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    okay...

Did I make a grammatical error? What category was I mentioning? Is there some other link between the Enchant Weapon spell and the Brazilian community in Ireland? English is not my mother tongue, either. I haven't been this confused since the last time I tried to read a youtube comment section. ;)
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    borntodie said:

okay...

Did I make a grammatical error? What category was I mentioning? Is there some other link between the Enchant Weapon spell and the Brazilian community in Ireland? English is not my mother tongue, either. I haven't been this confused since the last time I tried to read a youtube comment section. ;)

Wrong thread, sorry :D
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    It would be nice if there was a greater greater WW form. Even so, with Cernd in my current run (now in chapter 8) he’s become such a wonderful spellcaster, that I prefer to keep him casting in big fights. GWW is still useful for trash. But I mostly use it for movement and resistances. Relocating during an epic battle is way better in GWW form.

There are also the fire and earth elemental shape change HLAs, but I don’t know what they attack as.

• NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited August 2018
    Problem with shapeshifting is that it needs a ton of buffs to even be comparable to what a spellcaster druid brings to the table. Hell, if you badly need your druid to do "normal" attacks then just use Energy Blades. The only real way to make shapeshifting viable for end-game is for it to allow spellcasting - after all, there ARE werewolf/lycanthrope spellcasters.