Skip to content

An orphan

Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
Greetings all, I’ve been taking a bit of a holiday from actually playing BG recently, but I ran across a bunch of banters in one of my many notebooks for a potential BG2 NPC. Since I’m unlikely to ever get around to doing the coding myself in the near future (work, family etc. :)), I thought I’d throw some of them up here in batches in case they were interesting for anyone else. Who knows, I might even get some inspiration for the future :). (Unless there's some better place for this kind of orphaned NPC?)

Appearance: Start with a cross between Minsc & Varys from Game of Thrones. Add the slightly simpering, slightly sneering expression of a used car salesman and make the tattoos rather more sinister. Put that head on a slightly corpulent body with the occasional scar and hint of mutilation, with soft gentle hands that are stronger than one might expect.

Bio: Zakon is only to eager to tell you something of his past, perhaps to steer the conversation away from any dangerous enquiries concerning its less admirable facets. He was sold at a young age in the underground city of Skullport to a splinter cult of Talona, which held that children could be used to seed new plagues across Faerun. As he rose to a position of minor responsibility within the cult he claims to have gradually cared less for the faith than the welfare of his young charges. He refuses to divulge much of the subsequent events - for the sake of his continued good health should the cult ever catch wind of his whereabouts- apart from his eventual success in enabling several ‘birds to fly free’. However, you are left with the impression that there was a cost to this deed that scarred his mind as well as his body. This is a man who will do much that is dubious or outright evil in the name of a good end.

Game stuff: I envisaged him as a 5th level NE Priest (now bereft of spells in original class?) who has dualed to mage, and has some resistance to poison- 50% if generous. He could easily be a Bard or another class however. Stats would possibly be something in the order of S13 D10 C16 I17 W15 CH11 – or whatever it is you need to dual class! He would likely be encountered in the Promenade or a similar location selling ‘potions’, which may or may not be of some benefit. He could probably link to many of the quests in the original game, such as the slaver children, Mazzy’s Talona related quest, and so on.

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Mazzy: Zakon, it is my understanding that you had been peddling medicines in the Promenade for some time. Have you made some sort of study into the art of the apothecary?

Zakon: Why yes my small friend. I have an excellent range of reasonably priced growth advancing treatments should you desire a longer swordarm. Many strong fighting men can vouch for their benefits.

Mazzy: My size has proven to be little hindrance in my career thus far Zakon, on the contrary the tendency of others to underestimate me has proven advantageous in battle. Yet your seeming lack of any qualifications or evidence for the efficacy of your concoctions concerns me. Are you quite sure that there are no potential side effects?

Zakon: Quite certain my dear. Though to forestall any further enquiries I should point out that their ingredients are a trade secret not lightly to be disclosed.

Mazzy: The City Watch might take a different view of the matter.

Zakon: The Watch? They are among my best customers! Those long nights will take the starch out of a man...
    edited September 2018
    Zakon: You know my lord Edwin, there are many rumours of Thayvian intervention in the spell component trade. I don't suppose that-

Edwin: This tendentious blather must cease. Wipe the dribble from your face, and settle that tongue in the corner of your mouth like the beaten dog you are. You are not to be privy to my insights on this or any other matter.

Zakon: Most esteemed lord, I am privy also to many secrets. For example I had the misfortune of being the one after you in the privy at the last rest-stop. Whatever condiments you are lacing your foods with must have had a disagreeable influence upon your digestion.

Edwin: Ever the pox doctor, I am surprised you could restrain yourself before such bounty. Know that I have foreseen any nefarious efforts in this direction and my bodily effluences are enspelled against any interference upon pain of incineration.

Zakon: Why did you not say so my lord? Let us forego bat guano as a component of our fireballs and rely upon a far more cheaply obtained supply to sling at our foes then. More cheese?

Yoshimo: Tell me friend Zakon, you know much of religion yes?

Zakon: I have tried to forget much of what I learned, but still it stays with me my friend. Which of the Gods would you address a prayer to?

Yoshimo: Over the Gods themselves Zakon. The matter of Fate is much on my mind, and heavy on my heart this eve. Do men have a star waiting in the sky from the cradle do you think? Or do we choose our doom?

Zakon: Everything is written Yoshimo. I have heard tell of the book. But the writing itself twists and changes except for the passages inscribed by the great prophets such as Alaundo. I regret that he wrote much of the greater ones, and little of those of us who must crawl in their dust.

Yoshimo: I do not. Such words might make for hard reading, and harder living.

Korgan: Eh, pox doctor.

Zakon: Pox doctor? I think that I may have risen something above that, but if you have need of a poultice…

Korgan: Aye, but the place is farther than where I care to be reaching Poxy, you’ll be putting it on for me careful-like.

Zakon: Ah, well, could you not put it on with your axe? You seem most dexterous with it. Or perhaps you could make a request of one of those ladies of the night who perform unspeakable services…

Korgan: You’re trying my patience Poxy. You’ll take my coin and do the work.

Zakon: I… well, perhaps it will clear up of its own accord before that is quite necessary.

Korgan: I have been hoping that yerself would clear off of yer own accord but no luck for me’sel there. Next rest-stop Poxy, before me axe gets itchy too.