Skip to content

Size of BG:EE on the iPad?

BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
edited September 2012 in iPad (Archive)
Does anyone know how much space the game will occupy on the iPad.
I've read somewhere that the installer is 3GB, but can't find info on the installed size.

I have plenty on space on my iPad, but as a regular reader of the TouchArcade forums, there's a lot of people worried they won't have enough free space to install the game.
Would be nice to be able to give them some info so they can start deleting apps and games in anticipation of this great classics arrival on the iPad.

Comments

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I will sum up some of Trent Oster Tweets:
    Tweeter said:

1 Sep Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

We're just doing the compression, but pre-compression it is 2.3G. We're hoping for 1.2G-1.3G

Tweeter said:

5 Sep Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

Our plan to compress the 3GB's of Awesome that is BG:EE into less space did not keep the awesome. We're stuck at 3GB

Tweeter said:

@fr33z33 Yes, 3GB even on iOS. Our compression turned out to have too many artifacts

Tweeter said:

We're on to option #2 for a better compression solution. WebP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP

And thats all we know for now..

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Thank you for the info mch202.
    Much appreciated. :-)
  • MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 92
    Makes you happy that you sprang for the 64gb :)
    True Musaab. :-)
  • AbicionAbicion Member Posts: 6
    I really wish I didn't get the 16gb, now.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Trent tweeted today:

"The new compression approach is going quite well. It is looking to fall in line with our under 2GB install size for iPad"

"PC build is currently 3GB. The better quality music (44K vs 22K) and new content are pegging it that big. The quality requires the size"

"To fit it on tablets we've changed the compression. BG is palette-based on PC, we've moved it to PVRTC on the iPad and DXTC on Android."
  • glakenglaken Member Posts: 8
    sounds good - getting the size down - so is it ready for submission? Hope so!
  • grimsqueakgrimsqueak Member Posts: 2
    Wow, this got to be among the biggest apps in the App-store when it's released?

I'm also sitting on a 16GB iPad so I have been worried about the size of Baldur's Gate; the original certainly required a lot of space for the time when it was released.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

The game is looking to be 3GB on PC, 2GB on iPad and we've yet to make the call on Android. Worst case, Android will be the full 3GB.

-Trent

Posted by Trent 20 minutes ago..
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2012
    Damn, I also wish I did not settle for my 16 GB Ipad 2 now. 2GB is alot.. now im going to have to go through it and make sure i have 2GB ready to go.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    2GB is what it looks to be. We've added PVRTC and solved the issues
    -Trent
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    1.7 GB is what the iPad storage tabs shows.

-Trent

1.7 GB is what the iPad storage tabs shows.

-Trent

Amazing!
    Good job. :-)
    I really look forward to play the game, both on my pc and my iPad.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    My 64GB ipad 3 is waiting and willing....BRING IT ON!
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    1.7GBs. My guess is set aside a solid 2GBs maybe a bit more for future updates and DLC.
  • Gun19Gun19 Member Posts: 48
    Every time I delete an app on my iPad I get excited and think " more space cleared ready for BGEE! "

How sad is my life lol
  • EndlesswaveEndlesswave Member Posts: 28
    Gun19 said:

Every time I delete an app on my iPad I get excited and think " more space cleared ready for BGEE! "

How sad is my life lol

It's as sad as my life because I think the same exact thing. Thankfully I picked up a 32 gig ipad 3 but even then the space on it is dwindling. Must delete space to make more room for BGEE damn it!
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Gun19 said:

How sad is my life lol

To consider paid DLCs.. in the near future , you shold better reserve more space for infinity BG-EE

How sad of my wallet....