Skip to content

Robes tutorial

Does anyone happen to know where a decent tutorial, specifically for robes and/or belts for NWN-EE (or just NWN and I'll figure it out) could be found? I found a "how to make robes" on the community forum for the old NWN, but the link is dead. They're different, and a bit complicated to an easily confused twit like myself, so...if anyone knows where I can find one, or wants to help give some pointers in converting chest pieces to robes, I'd be most appreciative (and, while you're at it, skirts and shorts from pelvises to belts).

Thanks - P

Comments

• TheBarbarianTheBarbarian Member Posts: 58
    90% of what you need to know to make robes for NWN is in here:
    https://neverwintervault.org/article/tutorial/rigging-blender-279-tutorial-nwn1-models
    Also contains very convenient human bases for setting up yer robe around. :-)

Then there's the naming scheme and the parts_robe.2da. Robes are p###_robe###.

Example: pfa0 is part female halfling phenotype 0. pmd2 is part male dwarf phenotype 2.

The latter three ###s stand for the number of the row in parts_robe.2da. So, pfh0_robe075.mdl is the model of the robe on row 75 in parts_robe.2da, when worn by a female human in phenotype 0. The default two phenotypes are 0 (normal) and 2 (large).

In parts_robe.2da, you can adjust which bodyparts will be hidden while the robe is equipped. You need a parts_robe.2da that has enough lines to include your robe number, and (I think) something in the AC value field on that row number, or it won't show up at all. Also, note: Toolset and ingame listing order is determined by the 2da AC value rather than by the row number.

To set up riding versions of a new robe, you'll need to duplicate and rename the .mdls (twice), altering the phenotype. p##0 -> p##3 and 6. p##2 -> p##5 and 8, internally (all instances thereof within the MDL) as well as externally (MDL file name) - other than the texture. Ensure that the versions for the riding phenotypes are using the matching supermodel for that phenotype.

::headscratch::

That aside, skirts and shorts don't normally work very well in the belt slot, since it inherits the animations of the torso bone rather than the pelvis bone, so the pelvis tends to clip through during animations. I don't know whether skinmesh belts are a thing in the EE by now, though. If they aren't, I wouldn't recommend using the belt slot for skirts other than poofy tutu ones.
  • PappaChazzPappaChazz Member Posts: 20
    'RAY! Thanks, *so* much for the link to a tutorial I can get! (and have gotten :smiley: ) . So, belts aren't a good idea for skirts and shorts, huh? Oh, well. We'll have to get more votes on that 2da expansion, then

Again, thank you *very* much for the insight, suggestions and guidance. I *truly* appreciate it :)
  • TheBarbarianTheBarbarian Member Posts: 58
    Anytime. Give me a shout if you run into trouble. :-)

Also, tip: NWMax (or NWMax+) has an Armour Maker tool that can generate versions for the other races/phenos from a human base.