Skip to content

Baking/Candy Making Discussion

DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
Baking this year's first batch of gluten free Christmas cake, a truly epic feat I've been doing most years for more than a decade (originally with gluten, though for many years without). Not a recipe for a lightweight, mixing the batter is like mixing sticky concrete, only you need to use 1 hand to hold the bowl! My arms are more tired than when I do my overhead press/bicep curl routine, just brutal. The funniest part, I've used tricks to make the mixing easier, and it is still a beastly job. Min 3.5 hours baking, usually do 4 hours... this is serious cake! :o

My biggest trick is using fully melted butter, which is so much easier to mix. As in, probably twice as easy. The only other trick is mixing the dry completely, then adding and stirring in the liquids, and finally, stirring in the 'aggregate' dried fruits, nuts, and candied fruit.

This year I am presoaking the various raisins in brandy before baking, hoping to avoid the slightly burnt raisins on the outside of the cake. It wasn't a big problem, but I am seeking perfection, not just 'good'! ;) This might have further eased stirring. I used a heavier brandy for the soaking, so it should leave some flavour even after it has evaporated during cooking.

After it cools, I wrap the cakes in fresh cheesecloth and season it daily with good brandy, usually pouring 1 or 2 tbsp daily until the cake is pretty saturated. This is pretty expensive cake if you haven't figured it out, but its usually fit for royalty. Hell, if I ever get married I'll be able to make a traditional cake. This isn't anything like the dry fruitless shame-loafs they sell as fruitcakes at stores, these are truly transcendent. I still can't believe the noble fruitcake is the butt of jokes, but I admit purchased ones are often atrocious.

This first batch is close to the original recipe, but with doubled candied cherries (the recipe was a bit light on them, and most of my family loves the cherries... I suspect they'd eat candied cherries if they could do so with dignity!). This year I used freshly ground nutmeg, ground up very fine in my 40lb mortar. Love using that monster, even if it's a hassle to get out! After this batch, I'll bake 3 specialty cakes, each 1/3 of a batch. :neutral: This is a lot of mixing, but I love to try new versions, and this year I will be baking a blueberry cake using pecan nuts and no cherries spiced with cinnamon, a cake with tons of candied peel with cashew nuts spiced with cloves and ginger, and a black current based cake which I need to fully work out still. I've baked the first two before very successfully, but I'm going out on quite the limb here trying black currents. I have to do some research I think, black currents have an unusual flavour after all.

I should make a big batch of caramels this week too, though I really need to buy a good thermometer I think. My results are never bad, but they seem to vary the equivalent of 10 degrees sometimes, so I've had soft batches and some a bit hard. I've also had fudge that refused to set, but I think I didn't boil it long enough. Candy is science damnit!

All this reminds I ought to lose some 20lbs by Christmas, or none of my pants will fit me by January. On that note, I'm going for a jog! :sweat:

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    As I can't eat gluten, any pie crusts I make aren't rolled, generally they are pressed into the pie pan, assuming one is used. Tbh, my mother regularly makes pies without crusts, though usually these are sugar pecan pies. Let me tell you, that is one rich desert, with just the baked pie filling! It really requires something moderating to be served with it, usually whipped cream or a la mode.

My mom traditionally baked pumpkin pies this time of year, but sweet potato is more rich, but I've never tried a homemade one. Might have to bake one myself.

Hmmm... that's a good point about mixing flour and water, its easy to get clumps, and the hotter the water the worse clumps! I can usually remember this when making sauces, but sometimes mistakes happen. I use plantain flour often for sauces, its got good food value I think, and a pleasant taste. Going gluten free has some hassles, though some changes aren't really for the worse.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    That sucks, my sister had to go gluten free for awhile to try and deal with her migraines, she still generally avoids it, but is OK having it every once in awhile. Almond flour is a great substitute for pastries and things like pancakes. I still make brownies with a 2/3 almond flour 1/3 coconut flour, since I like the hint of coconut.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I once tried the monkey balls recipe Dradeel gives you in Spellhold. They were really great. Huzzaks for chocolate monkey balls!
    ...did you try any of the other recipes? I leaned heavily on the bachelor's crutch tbh, until I actually learned to cook, varying rice (usually plain, flavoured with bullion) and noodles (plain or with purchased sauce). It helped that I ate huge amounts probably, but I think such heavy pasta consumption worsened my gluten sensitivity, which I had diagnosed not too much later, to say nothing of likely being pretty nutrient deficient. I did make the odd pot of stew, ~ weekly, so I didn't fall apart or get scurvy. Being a student is hard when you're a profoundly irresponsible young man!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    My go-to is pasta with peas and tuna, with a sauce of olive oil mayonnaise. An amount of pasta, topped with young (small) peas, a broken-up can of tuna and all mixed together with the mayo. Delicious and fairly nutritious.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    DreadKhan said:

...did you try any of the other recipes? I leaned heavily on the bachelor's crutch tbh, until I actually learned to cook, varying rice (usually plain, flavoured with bullion) and noodles (plain or with purchased sauce). It helped that I ate huge amounts probably, but I think such heavy pasta consumption worsened my gluten sensitivity, which I had diagnosed not too much later, to say nothing of likely being pretty nutrient deficient. I did make the odd pot of stew, ~ weekly, so I didn't fall apart or get scurvy. Being a student is hard when you're a profoundly irresponsible young man!

No, I haven't tried them yet. Though I want to, especially the Baldur's delights. C.S. Lewis has probably disappointed thousands of children all over the world by claiming that turkish delight is delicious in his Narnia books. But I actually kind of like it.

Pasta with just olive oil and garlic can be surprisingly delicious. Not to mention cheap, easy and fast.
    I also enjoy Turkish Delight, but I do have a serious sweet-tooth... hence the thread I suppose!

When I went to trade school, I lived with mostly a microwave and toaster oven to cook with, though I also could slowcooker meals, and couldn't eat gluten. Apparently white and red rice are both effectively microwaveable, as are hulled split mung/urad beans... I loved chopping up leak or onion (leak smells better by far though!), adding some beans and rice and microwaving it while I cooked fish or ground beef patties in the toaster over for a delicious meal. I regularly made it for breakfast actually, esp with fish, as that cooks pretty quick. I even cooked up fish and rice for a girl I was hanging out with. I am a pretty good cook now, so when I say it was good, it really was legit good. Its shocking how much you can do with a couple 120v plugs, assuming you have relevant breakers to prevent overloading! That said, microwaved hardboiled eggs in those egg cookers are not the best. :( Edible, but since eggs are not natively palatable to me these crossed the line. Still, handy for packed lunches when spiced up with tomato butter.

Fish actually is one of the better breakfast foods... I seem to need a fair amount of protein though, so 30g of fish protein is a good start for me.
    I finished my 2nd batch of Christmas cake, my more exotic recipes, and boy was that a bit of work! 2.5 hours of measuring and stirring to make 3 different cakes; at least these batches were small, and thus easier to stir. Baked for a total of 4.5 hours in the oven, and since it might still have wanted more time, I left it in the oven to cool overnight, for even more cooking. Smelled really good, like someone baking 6kg of spiced cake. Now there is seasoning to be done, likely about 10 tbsp of brandy per cake over time. Then eating! Ssssoooooooo much eating!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I love making Cream Cheese Spritz cookies for Christmas. It's not really low-calorie, though. 1/2 lb of butter, 3oz cream cheese and 1 cup sugar in every batch...