Skip to content

FMT HLA Choices and Order

I'm currently running a solo FMT through SCS BG2 with no level cap and with mage HLAs enabled. I'm considering what HLAs would be optimal and in what order I should take them. Any suggestions? I'm dual-wielding with Scarlet Ninja-to so GWW may not be necessary, although I might still take a few just to have more options and for usage with two-handed weapons.

Comments

• smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    I’ll assume based on the Scarlet ninjato that you already have Use any item. Summon planetar could be a good first choice as an extra fighter and support caster, however this will only work if you install the SCS component that turns high level mage spells into special abilities (since it takes a while for the FMT to gain level 9 spell slots). I suppose another good choice would be Spike traps or Time stop traps, if you enjoy cheesing and insta-gibbing enemies in the first second of combat. The Assasinate HLA could be very strong in combonation with improved haste, same with the Critical strike HLA. These are the more brute force options. Overall it depends on your personal pattern of play.
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    With 4.5/5 base APR many Fighter HLAs become much more appealing.

Power Attack is all but guaranteed to proc, since it's a total of nine/ten saves vs. death at -4 in two rounds.

Critical Hit is in some ways better than WW - on average the damage is the same but it also guarantees all the attacks will hit(since crits always hit)

Smite is absolutely BONKERS and I wonder why I almost never see it mentioned. It's Power Attack AND Critical Hit rolled into one. Sadly you can only take it once.

Hardiness is always nice to have against the damage that you cannot avoid, which is plentiful in ToB as AC is just a number.

As for Arcane HLAs, then obviously the bonus spell ones are mandatory, as is the Planetar which is honestly better than most(all?) party members. I wouldn't bother with anything else, not even Imp. Alacrity, since as a F/M you rely on hitting stuff rather than spamming spells.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    I'd suggest UAI, spike trap, time trap, and assassinate in that order, followed by several more spike traps, a few GWWs (or critical strikes), a few more spike traps, hardiness, dragon's breath and summon planetar, then extra spike traps or GWWs until the game is over.
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    UAI is great but not THAT great, only extra items you get is SCT over Belm which is only minor upgrade. Other items can be used by default anyway without UAI. So UAI is only good for carsomyr swaps.

In comparison if you run FMT with 4.5 APR and 9APR under improved haste then for instance Time Trap allows you for almost two rounds of complete dominance. That's around 16 attacks that you will make. Even if you deal 20 damage per hit (you probably do more) that would be 320 damage dealt. In non LOB situation this means couple of enemies dead. Time traps also trigger before contigencies so you can kill mages before they buff up.

Now you add assassination to this and during round you deal 5x damage so like 70-100 per hit for 700+ damage, even dragons tremble.

Spike traps are great but what is 80-100 damage in comparison when you can deal 700+ during time stop.

Imo you should pick Time Trap > Assassination > UAI > Power Attack > Critical Strikes > Time Trap > Extra Spell slot for lvl 6 > and then others as you wish.

Don't take smite as one of the first. Take it later because your enemies will go flying far far away and you will waste time chasing them. Only useful if they stand againt the wall. In that case definitely take it.