Skip to content

Time Stop: duration (36 vs. 18)

Never noticed this before personally, but now somebody pointed it out …

Effects, spells and abilities have a given duration when examined with Near Infinity. That value usually can be interpreted as "seconds real-time". Divide it through 6, and you have the duration in "rounds", for example.

The spell "Time Stop" notes three rounds duration since its first appearance in the original Shadows of Amn. The Enhanced Edition didn't change anything on that (except switching "three" in the description to "3").
And since its first appearance and unchanged in future editions, the spell ability's duration states 36 – which actually would be six rounds (36/6=6; not 3).

Why only the half?

I've tested that in-game, and it's indeed only 18 seconds, not 36. Where does this come from?
By the way, the EE added the disabled talk-button as effect – for a duration of 18!

Where's the mechanic that cuts Time Stop's duration in halves? (And are there similar spells? And has this been discussed before?)
Rik_Kirtaniya

Comments

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I don't know why, but Time Stop's actual, in-game duration has always been 1/2 of what's in the actual effect.
    semiticgoddess
  • compleCCitycompleCCity Member Posts: 52
    Isn't this what I wrote? ;)

But I wanted to know the "why"! (And if such mechanics apply to other spells as well.)