Skip to content

The New Party Challenge

I've been trying for a long time to shake off my restartitus and I believe I may have found the solution: a playthrough challenge thread where all of us can update each other on our new experiences. So here's what I have in mind

THE NEW PARTY CHALLENGE:
1. You must play on Core Rules or Higher
2. You may use any mod you wish but Cheat Codes are off limits unless they are specifically required for the situation such as fixing a glitch in the game
3. You may not play a basic class. You must play either play a Kit or Multi/Dual Class.
4. If you choose to Dual Class you must do so no later than the start of Chapter 2 of Shadows of Amn
5. You are allowed to reload if your main character dies but not if one of your party members is chunked (Note: If the party member is chunked and then you proceed to also die in the same battle then you may reload and continue using that NPC)
6. You are not allowed to use any of the same party members that you used in your most recent previous playthrough with the following exceptions:
6A. If you are required to do so due to Rule #5
6B. If you are required to do so due to the limited NPC roster of Siege of Dragonspear
6C. If you are required to do so to complete a sidequest (Ex: Valygar for the Planar Sphere)
7. You must complete the entire saga as well as the Watcher's Keep Dungeon (Tales of the Sword Coast and choosing to fight Demogorgon are optional)
8. Before starting the challenge you must record the following for the record:
-Character Name
-Character Race
-Character Class (Including intended Dual Class Decision)
-Difficulty Level
-List of Mods you will using (that you can recall)

Have Fun!

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited October 2018

Introducing Bork the Barbarian (I intend to Dual Class to Mage when I get to BG2)

Difficulty Level: Core Rules

Mods:
    BG1/SOD
    1. NPC Project (with Music)
    2. Unfinished Business
    3. Quests and Encounters
    4. Isra
    5. Xan Friendship
    6. Tweaks

BG2
    1. Alternatives
    2. Angelo
    3. Banter Pack
    4. IEP Banters
    5. Imoen Friendship
    6. Isra
    7. NPC Strongholds
    8. Quest Pack
    9. Reunion
    10. Sarevok Friendship
    11. Unfinished Business
    12. Xan
    13. Tweaks
    14. Auren
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    You did not specify if it is mandatory to play only one custom PC, or if you can play with a custom party (for example, my custom 3-man "punching" party centered around a unarmed Dragon Disciple might fall into your challenge).

@monico
    I see your point but I didn't state that because I thought it was obvious. Playing more than 1 PC would prevent the experience of traveling with very many NPCs.

Well...so much for recruiting Garrick

Bork and Kagain had slightly better luck fighting Karlat

edited October 2018

Look at that, I have a band of tiny terrors!

And we managed to make it to Nashkel (just barely)

Taking down Neira (that name is just confusing now) was surprisingly easy

I don't think Kagain and Alora are going to get along :P

That's the spirit, Tiax!

It's amazing what a couple of items can do. I do love absurd stats

And now our strange little group has Edwin whom I haven't used in my Party since 2013! Welcome Back, Edwin. Now we just need one more person...

Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    '

Gee thanks, Tiax. What an honor!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    can barbarians actual dual over to mage? or do you have a mod that somehow allows that?
    @sarevok57
    I am unsure, but considering the Tweaks Mod has options to expand class options (i.e. giving non-humans the ability to dual class and eliminating race restrictions on classes) I'd say it's entirely possible. In any case, I checked and with the current mod build I have (listed above) I am able to do it.

I am currently having a problem finishing Prism's quest and thus recruiting Isra however, so I may have to forgo exploring her mod (I have attempted to do so in the past but never got past Chapter 3) in favor of using older cleric decisions such as Branwen or Viconia (or perhaps even replacing Tiax with Yeslick)

*Sarcastic Gasp* Oh no, not Tiax! Don't worry, Your Greatness. We shall have you revived in no time.

Ten Years of playing Baldur's Gate and I still think this looks like a smiley face does anyone else agree?

I just realized my party is being led by Two Dwarven Tanks.
    I realized it's been a while since I updated so here we go

I hate getting stuck in these things.

Always kill the mouthy one.

I have never wrecked Drasus and Co. so easily. Who knew Tiax and Alora were so powerful (thanks for the ghasts by the way, my liege)

Tiax Rules All!

Tiax never ceases to make me laugh...he's like an evil Minsc.

How to Kill a Basilisk without wasting spells or potions. (72 Damage? By the Gods, Alora. That's incredible!)

I find it funny that I made it all the way to Chapter 5 and Edwin's best kill is a Gibberling.

Should I feel bad that I kill these guys everytime I play the game?

See Edwin; that's a little better.

Wow! Look at that Armor Class. Nothing's hitting Kagain anytime soon. At least not before he does some serious damage.

What better way to help increase your power, oh mighty Tiax? (Gods, I love Tiax)

its so nice to be home and actually being able to see the screen shots, since the internet at the camp i was at could barely run google

And it's here that I say goodbye to everyone but Edwin...I'm going to miss my small but mighty allies.
    I recently added the Auren Mod to BG2, because I hear that she has a romance with Nalia and I'm very interested to see how that goes. I've never had Nalia in party either, so this will be a learning experience.

I recently added the Auren Mod to BG2, because I hear that she has a romance with Nalia and I'm very interested to see how that goes. I've never had Nalia in party either, so this will be a learning experience.

i almost always have nalia in my parties haha
    @sarevok57
    I have used Imoen/Yoshimo, Jan and Hexatt as my Thiefs. I have never used Nalia for any extended period of time.
    yeah, usually my characters are front line melee bashers so i always have room for nalia, my usual team composition is:

3 melee chums/chumettes

1 ranged cleric type

1 ranged thief type

1 ranged mage type

so nalia would always sit in the back, and in fact i find she goes really well with imoen, in fact half my play throughs i find that i have both nalia and imoen in my team

although i see on another thread you are planning on doing a barbarian/mage play through ( very ironic but unique none the less ) so depending on how you are going to be playing that character i guess it might not be necessary to have "another" mage hanging around

although bg2/tob can basically support up to 4 mages with enough scrolls for everyone ( if they dont fail their scribe check )
    I've never played Siege of Dragonspear on Core Rules before.

It is depressingly hard for me right now. I'll be glad when I get to BG2 and my party choices are a little more widespread.

Gods, I love Baeloth. Is it blasphemy to say I actually might like him MORE than Minsc?

I missed the spamy goodness of Kevin Michael Richardson's pointless reminders!

Oops

This dungeon is constantly pounding my guys.

I REALLY hate these things

Irenicus does not give a single crap who you are.

Picked up the helmet that the Dwarves gave me. God I love ridiculous stats!

Have I mentioned how much I hate Web traps yet?

Hmm. Corwin and M'Khinn might actually get along. That's interesting.

Well gee willikers, madam. I sure am sorry for slaughtering all your guards and desecrating your temple.

Nice job, Voghiln!

so speaking about playing new play throughs, i thought i would give IWD 2.5 a try and do it with a party that i would never use in a million years just for the lols, and they are as follows:

the merriest band of misfits ye ever did see, lets see how well they are going to do:

ah, dying in one hit, from one of the lowliest of enemies, good times

man, those orcs pack a whallop, good times again

there was TWO enemies left, TWO, seriously? couldn't live? *sigh*

after about round 10...? 15? perhaps 20, i am finally victorious

after a million tries, i am finally victorious in this insane battle, oi

ah, this is what i get for resting, shame on me, PS: man those goblins hit hard wowzers

pssst... here's a riddle; how many team mates did i have before i came into this cave? here's a hint: it was more than 5 *sigh*

goblin weapon of choice: freight train locomotive

another critical hit, another reload, lol lol lol lol lol

SERIOUSLY, a smelly skelly dealing FORTY damage on a critical hit, i think im seeing a common theme here...

so long story short, when one goes adventuring, bring a helmet, or 2, or even 3 perhaps, you will thank yourself later

@sarevok57
    Lol, this is great.

I'm dissapointed more people aren't playing the New Party Challenge specifically for Baldur's Gate though.

The part where I began to think going that direction wasn't the brightest idea

And THAT just isn't fair.

The Holy Grail of Ammunition!

Displacer Beasts...why did it have to be Displace Beasts?

These things pack quite the wallop!

I emerge victorious!

No matter how many times I see this I can't help but laugh

The Battle Rages Onwards!

The Battle...Continues!

Hey kids, can you spell Wipeout? W-R-E-C-K-T

Neverending Story!

I probably spent 5 hours of gameplay divided over three days just trying to kill this guy. Man does this screenshot feel amazing.

Words of encouragement from my favorite friend!

And on that note...it's BG2 time!

edited October 2018
    okay now, where was i?

ah yes, getting critical hitted, but at least this time surviving the hits

lets see.... what else was happening in the vale of shadows?

oh yeah, thats right, getting my butt kicked, nice

how about the temple of the forgotten god?

first guy was a bit of brute, but other than that, left relatively unscathed yes?

and the first level of dragon's eye, surely this will be no sweat....

i guess these lizards live up to their name, yeesh
    but in the end, i was the winner thanks to that bridge, die lizards DIE!

@sarevok57
    Icewind Dale is naught but a constant swath of getting your butt kicked. If you've got the time and patience to handle that, be my guest. I played the game once and got to Chapter 6 before I gave up. One day I will play again, but I'm not ready yet.
    its actually quite ironic, this team is slowly getting better at butt kicking, i took out the marileth first try without much of a fuss :)

Can I just say how much I love the soundtrack for De'Arnise Keep?

The glaring flaw with a single audio file for every time a certain thing happens

And you can't pick the locks in your own house...very nice, Nalia

And Bork is finally a full-fledged Barbarian/Mage

And this is why I love Korgan!

I didn't know Keldorn was so savage (and that's a canon banter too)

Turns out all you need is one Berserk warrior to totally wreck the Room of Blood and Blades, who knew?

I can never bring myself to keep Keldorn away from his family.

Heh. Blood Nightmaster. It's hard to take some of these names seriously.

I also lost Korgan, but for some reason that screenshot didn't save. He got chunked by one the halfling wizards in the Planar Sphere.