Skip to content

Lipsynced moving

Was wondering, with the newer HD models upcoming in NWN:EE, I would think the whole head wagging thing would be a thing of the past. Since NWN2 had it, I figured this would now be a standard for the newer models.

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Not necessarily. I believe modders used silent lip flappers instead because they didn't want to do all the work to get lip syncing.

I wouldn't really call NWN2 a HD game either but it's plausible to get lip animation in some form, yet I think lip syncing would need to be a specific feature request.
  • moxy3dmoxy3d Member Posts: 6

Not necessarily. I believe modders used silent lip flappers instead because they didn't want to do all the work to get lip syncing.

I wouldn't really call NWN2 a HD game either but it's plausible to get lip animation in some form, yet I think lip syncing would need to be a specific feature request.

Interesting. I would rather borrow from the animations from NWN2 as a template then improve upon that model. Also, I never considered a game that came out in the mid-2000s an "HD game" by any stretch of the imagination. I was referring to the new models beamdog displayed (Aribeth) as an HD model.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I mean it's not really HD, then again HD is just marketing terminology, there's no real differences in the tech. For example it's possible to make a low poly model with contemporary tools or high poly model with old tools.

The lip syncing for NWN2 was probably a licensed middleware solution and the lip flapping work around uses "silent" sound files to get the lips to move. I guess what I'm saying is that you don't really need lip syncing, you could make some standard animations for the lips to wag around a little without lip syncing.

To do that you would probably have to add some complexity to the data files to define the part animations but it's also something people have asked for before for other reasons. I guess it probably depends more on whether or not they figure out a way to roll it out without breaking the use of old files, and if they have time to spend on it. Quality of the textures and smoothness of the polygons doesn't really affect that as far as I can tell.

They also couldn't use anything from NWN2 because that was a different product and by a different company. Also because NWN2 took a different approach a lot of stuff for it couldn't be easily modded without jumping through loops or expensive licensed software. So whatever Beamdog does they will probably want to keep it more open than licensing third party tech. I believe NWN2 uses encrypted granny2 animation files which is part of why you never saw a whole lot of modding for it...
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    Lipsyncing to what, exactly? Voicesets? Those are different from localized language to localized language.

I find there is a structural limitation to lipsyncing - however it is already technically possible, even as custom content. Lots of work though
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @moxy3d I think that you may have missed one thing about the difference between NwN and NwN2. In NwN2 the conversations where you can see the lip-syncing is done in extreme close-up in a letterbox view. In NwN, on the other hand conversations do not focus in anywhere near that close. So even if you were to have lip-syncing in NwN you would be hard pressed to actually see it in practice.

TR