Skip to content

Hak file missing, but it's not...

philbophilbo Member Posts: 19
I created a module and created a custom HAK with the nwhak.exe. I put the HAK in the Documents/Neverwinter Nights/hak folder. I associated the HAK with my module through Module Properties. I tried to play the module and it could not find the HAK file. I put a copy of the HAK file in the main Neverwinter Nights/hk directory. It still doesn't detect it. Is there a THIRD hak directory where I should be putting this HAK file? What am I missing?

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    You should put it in the hak/ folder, don't touch the hk/.

A blind guess is that nwhak.exe is still open when you try to play the module, and it is somehow messing with the game's ability to find the file (nwhak.exe is a silly program that way). Make sure nwhak.exe is closed and try again.

Side note: For people using Linux/macOS, make sure the hak name on disk matches what the module asks in case as well. Best to always use lowercase names.
  • philbophilbo Member Posts: 19
    This morning I tried to open the module with the toolset and even the toolset couldn't find it so I couldn't edit the module!

I scrapped everything and started from scratch and was able to get it to work, making sure that the nwhak.exe was closed fully before testing my hak.

Thanks for the help!
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    FYI, the toolset can also have trouble finding HAKs if you've been browsing them with nwnexplorer.

-Dave