Skip to content

Stuff of the Magi mod?

PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forums, and I hope I'm putting it in the correct place. I originally asked this on r/baldursgate, and they suggested I try here. I myself have zero experience with modding. The most I've ever done was create a few custom items for my personal use, but that was a good 8-10 years ago...I don't even know what tool(s) I would need to attempt relearning that =/

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/643-stuff-of-the-magi-v4-weidu/

I remember using this mod a lot when I was younger. Yes, mages are already overpowered, and these items just enhanced that. To help mitigate the OP'ness I would distribute the various items amongst my cadre of spellcasters.

I've been having a blast paying the EE versions of the games, and so I went and found the download to one of my favorite mods. I installed the mod and gave myself the items in EE Keeper to quickly test them. They work great and give the appropriate benefits. However, if I click on the item to read the description, nothing pops up and it freezes my game. I'm assuming this is because the mod hasn't been updated for the EE versions.

On another note, each of the items are indeed granted to their respective owners. For example, when I finished the Planar Sphere I was granted the item Lavok held. It was unidentified, and as stated previously, crashed my game when I tried to identify it and read the description.

Is making it EE compatible something I could easily do myself? Or would anyone here be interested in working on that? Should I just forget it and move on, knowing that all is well as long as I don't accidentally right-click on the items?

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited January 2016
    The EE expects text such as item descriptions to be encoded in Unicode (whereas the original game, and therefore all older mods, exclusively used old-fashioned Microsoft Windows codepages).

To tell weidu what text it needs to convert to Unicode during mod installation, you need to insert a special code snippet into the mod's TP2 script.

In the case of this particular mod, the following should work:
    ALWAYS ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY tra_reload BEGIN setup END LAF HANDLE_CHARSETS INT_VAR infer_charset = 1 STR_VAR tra_path = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/language~ reload_array = tra_reload END END
    So, open StuffofTheMagi\Setup-StuffofTheMagi.tp2 in a text editor, find the line near the top that reads:
    AUTO_TRA ~StuffofTheMagi/language/%s~and insert the aforementioned snippet directly below this line.

Weidu will then attempt to use the "iconv" program to convert the text on-the-fly during mod installation.
    If you're using Mac or Linux, "iconv" is already installed in your system and weidu will find it automatically.
    If you're using Windows, you'll have to add it manually to the mod folder. Specifically, you'll have to create the "iconv" folder inside the existing "StuffofTheMagi\language" folder, and place the following files inside it:
    StuffofTheMagi\language\iconv\iconv.exe StuffofTheMagi\language\iconv\libcharset1.dll StuffofTheMagi\language\iconv\libiconv2.dll StuffofTheMagi\language\iconv\libintl3.dllYou can either get these files from another mod (most mods that are compatible with both EE and the original game, should have them), or get them from the source: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libiconv.htm (the "Binaries" ZIP has iconv.exe, libcharset1.dll, and libiconv2.dll. The "Dependencies" ZIP has libintl3.dll.

Once you've got all that, you should be able to re-install the mod, and then the item descriptions should hopefully show up.

If you get around to testing it, please report back here whether it worked (in case I have made a typo or missed something).
    Post edited by ineth on
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I am extremely happy to report that all the items are working as intended! I can read the descriptions without any game crashing now =)

Your fix was very easy to follow. Thank you!
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Glad to hear it works correctly.

I've requested the fix to be included in the BiG World Fixpack, where it may benefit more players.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    I've added a HANDLE_CHARSETS patch for this mod to the BiG World Fixpack. I also added override tra files for the item descriptions in EE (removed usability section because EE auto-generates it).

https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/BiG-World-Fixpack/commit/a8375588fdf48bcfd07985259d7b113abc7a05cb
  • cleetuscleetus Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to bring up this old topic but I recently installed this mod and had a similar problem as the OP except when I just try to open my inventory when one of the items is in there it crashes the game. I found this post and tried the fix outlined here but it did not work for me as the installation of the mod fails when I make those tweaks. Here is what the installation looks like when I make the tweaks:

Is there an extra step that I am missing other than the two indicated above (inserting that wording into the .tp2 file and creating the "iconv" folder in the language folder and putting those four files into it)?
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Your weidu version is very outdated. Grab the latest one.
    Thanks for the reply. I grabbed the most updated weidu version (240) but am unsure on how to go about updating it. I dropped both the entire folder and just the weiduinstall.exe in the game folder but can't get it to do anything. Any advice on this? Sorry I am not used to having to do much to get mods to work as all I used to have to do was either drop stuff in the override folder or just the install.exe into the game directory and it would do the rest.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    edited October 2016
    Delete the old SETUP-STUFFOFTHEMAGI.EXE and rename your newly downloaded weidu to SETUP-STUFFOFTHEMAGI.EXE then start it.

Edit : That's right, I brain lagged!
    Post edited by GrimLefourbe on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    That's not quite correct. Delete the setup-stuffofthemagi.exe and rename the new weidu.exe into setup-stuffofthemagi.exe.
    That worked perfectly. Thanks for your help on this!
  • hippofanthippofant Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2017
    I'm finding there's a problem with this mod and SCS. The "final boss" Erevain Beraskana disappears immediately upon spawning. I don't think SCS creators ever expected a neutral lich, so I'm guessing there's something in DW#2INVL.BCS that turns Erevain invisible immediately, like with the Ogre Mage in the Cloakwood Mines, though I'm unable to determine which clause it is specifically.

He does spawn though. I can see him in NearInfinity in my save game. And, if I spawn a new one, and immediately drop an AoE on him, he will go hostile and attack.
  • vavrvavr Member Posts: 8
    Hi All, did anyone created the mod for mac? I am searching the internet, but cant find anything. Everything is only for PC :neutral:
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 228
    I have done a BG2EE compatible Stuff of the magi mod. Enjoy :)
  • vavrvavr Member Posts: 8
    Thank you, but for some reason I get the following again :(

Installing [UNDEFINED STRING: @1] [v5]
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [UNDEFINED STRING: @1], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 0 files for [SETUP-STUFFOFTHEMAGI.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 0 files for [SETUP-STUFFOFTHEMAGI.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(Unix.ENOENT, "opendir", "StuffofTheMagi/language/english")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-STUFFOFTHEMAGI.DEBUG to Send a PM to Kevmus at spellholdstudios or send an email to KevmusBG@gmail.com
    Using Language [English]
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    Any feedback on this mod ? too much overpowered ?

Any issue with EET ?

I looked at the items, and even with the option to install "less cheesy items", some of the items are overpowered. At least, they are going to equip creatures !