Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Fardragon said:

Golarion is a kind of Forgotten Realms mk2. More designed and polished, like an Apple version.

You mean overpriced and with less features? ;)
    scriverDrHappyAngrykanisatha
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Dunno why, but the Kingmaker module feels somewhat similar to the Birthright campaign setting to me.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Has anyone else had performance issues since the 1.1.1c patch? I have an older laptop where I do most of my gaming between meetings. It has fermi-based Nvidia graphics hardware but it was running PF:KM just fine until the .1c patch. Just installed the .1d patch and it still plods.

I have the latest Nvidia and Intel drivers that support my old hardware on Win10x64.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    bleusteel said:

Has anyone else had performance issues since the 1.1.1c patch? I have an older laptop where I do most of my gaming between meetings. It has fermi-based Nvidia graphics hardware but it was running PF:KM just fine until the .1c patch. Just installed the .1d patch and it still plods.

I have the latest Nvidia and Intel drivers that support my old hardware on Win10x64.

Nothing noticeable on my end, but it's a pretty beefy system, so I might not notice. You've reviewed the in game graphics settings and disabled stuff like anti-aliasing?
    bleusteel
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Performance has improved significantly for me.

Fardragon said:

Kineticist is basically a 3.5 warlock completely refluffed into a psionic class.

You are right. Honestly i think that a hell knight is better ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight/ ) is very rare for me liking any melee class, i usually like play as arcane casters, mainly cuz while the lv 16 sorc is assuming dragon form, raising an undead/elemental army and wrecking havoc, the fighter is.... Swinging an piece of metal.
    It's not really comparing like with like, since kineticist is a base class and Hellknight is a PrC.

Personally, I think most of the PrCs in the game are pretty redundant, as you can create very similar characters using base classes only. Having faction-related PrCs would be more meaningful, provided they where tied into the story. Kingmaker doesn't really have much in the way of class (or race) specific content.

Kineticist is at least functionally different to anything currently in the game, and as a base class we will hopefully be given three variants as well as the standard version.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523

bleusteel said:

Nothing noticeable on my end, but it's a pretty beefy system, so I might not notice. You've reviewed the in game graphics settings and disabled stuff like anti-aliasing?
    Thanks for the reply! 1.1.1e got everything back to normal. They must have unchecked the “support old junk” feature for the last couple hotfixes ;-)
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

Kineticist is basically a 3.5 warlock completely refluffed into a psionic class.

You are right. Honestly i think that a hell knight is better ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight/ ) is very rare for me liking any melee class, i usually like play as arcane casters, mainly cuz while the lv 16 sorc is assuming dragon form, raising an undead/elemental army and wrecking havoc, the fighter is.... Swinging an piece of metal.
    It's not really comparing like with like, since kineticist is a base class and Hellknight is a PrC.

Personally, I think most of the PrCs in the game are pretty redundant, as you can create very similar characters using base classes only. Having faction-related PrCs would be more meaningful, provided they where tied into the story. Kingmaker doesn't really have much in the way of class (or race) specific content.

Kineticist is at least functionally different to anything currently in the game, and as a base class we will hopefully be given three variants as well as the standard version.
    I know, i only mentioned Hell Knight cuz except arcane trickster, all prestige classes are very "redundant"...
    Even the Arcane Trickster could be very well scrapped since we already got the Eldritch Scoundrel archetype. Sure, the latter has less damage output than the former. But otherwise their characteristics are one and the same.

On a similar note, there are far too many dragon-centered builds in Kingmaker to my liking: Draconic Bloodlines for both Sorcerers and Eldritch Scions, Dragon Totems for Barbarians, the Scaled Fist archetype, spells that simulate breathes or let you transform into dragons... not to mention the good ol' Dragon Disciple PrC. It almost feels like dragons are the new Cliffracers all over again.

Even the Arcane Trickster could be very well scrapped since we already got the Eldritch Scoundrel archetype. Sure, the latter has less damage output than the former. But otherwise their characteristics are one and the same.

On a similar note, there are far too many dragon-centered builds in Kingmaker to my liking: Draconic Bloodlines for both Sorcerers and Eldritch Scions, Dragon Totems for Barbarians, the Scaled Fist archetype, spells that simulate breathes or let you transform into dragons... not to mention the good ol' Dragon Disciple PrC. It almost feels like dragons are the new Cliffracers all over again.

Well, after BGEE/IWDEE where you can only have RED draconic bloodline, or nwn where not only you can only have red bloodline, but you don't get CL and can't boost your CL using feats i honestly think that P:K finally brought the same in depth draconic bloodline mechanic as PnP.

As for spells "mimicking" dragon powers, imagine that you are in a fantasy world and there are magic. If you saw legendary creatures using an breath weapon, wold you not try mimic it if you have magic? I just think that they should make more diversity from Undead bloodline, Fey and fiendish bloodlines too.

This bloodline looks much better than the "generic" undead bloodline https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-3rd-party-publishers/kobold-press-bloodlines/vampiric/

edited November 2018
    Ehh... I'd much rather have a new bloodline that isn't currently represented in some form within the game. Like Aberrant, Accursed, Psychic or Shapechanger for instance.
    ThacoBell
    I didn't think Dragon Totem barbarians where in. I thought it was just another one of those things that is mentioned in the game that never actually made the cut.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Fardragon said:

I didn't think Dragon Totem barbarians where in. I thought it was just another one of those things that is mentioned in the game that never actually made the cut.

Yes, they're in. It's just that Barbarians have to carefully choose either the Beast Totem series or the Dragon Totem series of rage powers. As you later on cannot change your choosen path.
    edited November 2018

Fardragon said:

Yes, they're in. It's just that Barbarians have to carefully choose either the Beast Totem series or the Dragon Totem series of rage powers. As you later on cannot change your choosen path.
    Never chose beast totem and have never seen dragon totem listed, either as available or unavailable.
    chimaera said:

I'd rather they fix the main problem with sorcerers and bards, namely that you cannot swap spells. :/

This is not a problem. They are as on rule. Sorcerers have magic power, Wizards study magic power, that translate on rules by having sorcerers with much less spells know but much more "power" aka casts per day.
    ThacoBell
    Fardragon said:

Never chose beast totem and have never seen dragon totem listed, either as available or unavailable.

You're right. Just made a level 20 barbarian test character and didn't see them either. What's more - the Intimidating Glare rage power, a prerequisite of the Dragon Totem series, wasn't available either. So I clearly stand corrected: only the Beast Totem theme is in the game.

Now the real question is whenever Owlcat deletes all mentionings of the Dragon Totem, as it's clearly not currently present. Or that they'll decide to inlcude the totem theme in a future patch release.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456

chimaera said:

I'd rather they fix the main problem with sorcerers and bards, namely that you cannot swap spells. :/

This is not a problem. They are as on rule. Sorcerers have magic power, Wizards study magic power, that translate on rules by having sorcerers with much less spells know but much more "power" aka casts per day.
    I think what they mean is when you level up you are supposed to be able to swap one of your spells known for another.

“Upon reaching 5th level, and at every third bard level after that (8th, 11th, and so on), a bard can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the bard “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least one level lower than the highest-level bard spell the bard can cast. A bard may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.”
    ThacoBell
    chimaera said:

chimaera said:

According to the pathfinder website, sorcerers should be able to exchange spells at certain levels, apparently. And because the majority of arcane spells are not available as scrolls in the game, a wizard is stuck with spells gained from level ups too. Meaning that there is no good way of learning to play an arcane caster, because whether you choose sorcerer or wizard, you can easily end up with a terrible spell selection.
    Yes, you are right. But there are a mod who allow you to respec your character

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/7

PS : Yes, more arcane and divine spells should be on scrolls. Maybe a mod can fix it too.
    I have noticed an increased variety of spell scrolls on my more recent playthrough.
    chimaera said:

Unfortunately for some reason the unity mod manager refuses to install on my game, so that's not an option. :/

Have you tried the Kingmaker Mod Loader? It's less invasive than the Unity Mod Manager and thus a nice alternative. Also: playable gobs included!
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    This game is as good as BG and BG ll or better !!
    i really love it :)

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    So apparently The Wildcards DLC has been delayed till next week
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1721961700659646927

They're not specific as to when next week.
    edited December 2018

So apparently The Wildcards DLC has been delayed till next week
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1721961700659646927

They're not specific as to when next week.

At least they learned to not launch pre alfa games as a final game...

After they fixed a lot ofthe bugs by daily paths, PK is now mostly positive on steam, still receiving complaints about loading time and the traditional "i don't wanna read Pathfinder rules and wanna beat on hardest difficulty; Why i can't kill swarms with my sword, this game is not press A for awesome so is bad"
    It's next week, are we nearly there yet?

A couple of thoughts on the expansion:

I hope they remember to include male and female tiefling PC portraits.

I expect tieflings will use the Heritage (alternative rule in PnP) approach that they used for Aasimar - especially since the Darkness spell isn't in the game!
    It's been confirmed that tieflings will also get variant heritages.

Although they, too, will suffer from the one-single-look-for-all-heritage syndrome, just like shiny-lips aasimars. So all we get are horns and tails, again... say goodbye to vestigal wings, scales, cat-like rakshasa features or anything else -spawn specific.

It's been confirmed that tieflings will also get variant heritages.

Although they, too, will suffer from the one-single-look-for-all-heritage syndrome, just like shiny-lips aasimars. So all we get are horns and tails, again... say goodbye to vestigal wings, scales, cat-like rakshasa features or anything else -spawn specific.

Is probably to save resources. I mean, costs a lot fo make one model for each heritage. Since is a small team developing, i din't expected it. Is like summon monster. I can't summon all PnP monsters, so no succubus harem army; but adjust for different heritages is much easier.

Compare to NWN1 where you can be only "red"(hates humans, see humans as trash and is very chaotic) dragon disciple and get only a red wing. This was made by bioware, a much bigger company. Change a color of the wing is much easier than do a lot of models and they din't did it or even allowed you to have any non red ancestry. Look to the sorcerer bloodlines, all dragon transformation looks the same? Yes, but at least have different stats and each bloodline have different abilities. Something that is not common for another similar games.

I wish you can customize more Aasimars and Tieflings and that more advanced races was in the game, but i don't expect that much for a small Russian developer. They already did an great job allowing me to be an silver dragon sorcerer instead of only red...