Skip to content

video card suggestion

WindruWindru Member Posts: 10
I will probably be treating myself to a new video card in the near future, and I was wondering which card/chipset type you folks might suggest. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I'm hoping for something nice in the $150 range.
I'm not a super gamer; I like my older games like these here on Beamdog. I know my computer is recent so I can fit a PCIE card.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions, and for tolerating my computer noob-ness.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    You can easily get a second hand Nvidia GTX 1080 (non-ti) off ebay for around 150-200€. Or you could get a new Nvidia GTX 1050 ti for around 150€ at amazon.
  • WindruWindru Member Posts: 10
    Thank you folks :)
    I was looking at the 1050's and both of you made that suggestion.

Thank you very much, again.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    GPU prices are insane in the US right now because of price fixing.

Amazon US says $550 for a GTX 1080 (no TI).

Heck, I'm currently selling a base GTX 980 for $350.

For around $199 (easy $150 on sale) you can get a GPU that will not only blow away old games and all emulators but will keep you mostly current to the modern day such as the GTX 1060 3GB.

It's almost always a good idea to get a little more video card than you need so that you can future proof. After all, who knows what the specks of Baldurs Gate 3 will be?

;)
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Also, please do not buy a used GPU.

They get so hot and the memory is so easily corrupted and that the warranty of any GPU is one of its most valuable traits. Especially for companies like EVGA and Gigabyte who make a habit of upgrading you to the newest model should you need to RMA and they no longer have the stock.

I have gotten 3 free video card upgrades and a $100 keyboard thanks to a solid warranty.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i would say wait until boxing day, there will be huge discount deals on boxing day for good stuff, im looking to build a new PC and im waiting until boxing day before i start dishing out dough to build it