Skip to content

Halfling Swashbuckler ranged weapon?

Slings, Darts, Daggers, Short Bow or Crossbow? What do you think is the best ranged choice for a halfling swashie for the whole saga?

Aerakar

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'd go dagger. That way you can double dip and have a melee weapon as well for the same proficiency.
    Aerakar
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited December 2018
    A high level swashie is very strong in melee, but that's not the case for most of the saga. The poor AC, lack of HPs and vulnerability to criticals means that care will be needed in melee throughout BG1 and well in to BG2. Therefore you will have plenty of opportunity to take more than one ranged option. All of them have their good points:
    - short bow or crossbow allows doubling up ammunition with the launcher bonus to get greater chance to hit and you also have some nice tactical ammunition
    - darts of stunning are the single most vicious ranged weapon in the game
    - daggers give you strength bonus and basic 2 APR as well as option to dip in and out of melee with the zero weapon speed Dagger of Venom
    - sling gives you strength bonus and no real worries about running out of ammunition during a fight
    ThacoBellAerakar
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Highest APR is Tuigan and always a solid bet, but worthy shout out to Daggers since boomerang and firetooth both give 2 APR base and have 2d4 damage which is awsome. Drawback of non-dagger ranged options are you are limited to just 1 pip as a Swash in those, so you effectively also gain +1 hit +2 damage for daggers when compared to everything else.

Doing a Swash > Mage run myself atm, with Belm/Scarlet offhand i'm getting 4 APR using Boomerang as a melee main hand, it's a solid melee character thanks to the Swash bonus'.
    Grond0Aerakar
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Halflings get bonus to hit with slings, similar to the elf bonus to bows and long/short swords. They should also get a bonus to thrown weapons (ie: daggers) but I'm not sure it's implemented in BGEE.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Halfers need a bonus in slings to compete imho, as they generally require an str buff to be useful. 17 str slingers make heavy crossbows look good, but thematically cool to be a halfling slinger.