Skip to content

[KIT MOD]Grey Guard Paladin

Hi. I made a new kit for the Paladin class inspired by the 3.5 prestige class of the same name, though I've taken some creative liberties. I've tested it on BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE and haven't encountered any issues.

You can find the description below:

Grey Guard: Among the ranks of paladins there are some who have seen too much. The archetype of the noble-spirited paladin, resplendent in blessed armor and wielding a holy blade to smite the enemies of goodness, has gotten countless good men and women killed by their enemies' underhanded tactics. The Grey Guards follow a looser code than the average paladin, and do whatever must be done to protect the innocent and helpless from those who would do them harm.

Advantages:

- Unbound Justice: Grey Guards can act freely and use unorthodox methods without being restricted by code of honour and thus they never need to atone for violating their code of conduct in pursuit of a just cause, nor do they risk losing their class abilities.

- Backstab: While Grey Guards prefer to do battle on the field of honor, the tactics must change to fit the fight and if the only choice is to assassinate an evildoer in an alley in a "mugging gone bad," they do it without qualms.

May backstab as a Stalker of the same level.

- Stalk: Starting at level 2, Grey Guards are able to become invisible for 1 round per day in an attempt to line up a killing blow. They ought to be careful however, for this will put them out of balance and vulnerable to counterattack, imposing a -5 penalty to AC for the next 5 rounds.

Stalk will also remove the effects of Blade of Justice upon activation.

- Blade of Justice: Starting at level 5, Grey Guards can smite their foes once per day. For the next 4 rounds their weapon strikes as a +2 and attacks receive +2 bonus to hit and damage rolls. Every fifth level thereafter the bonuses increases by +1 and an additional use per day is available up to 4 uses per day and +5 enchantment, to hit and damage at level 20.

Disadvantages:

- Grey Guards focus most of their energy on the wickedness amongst the living and as such may not turn undead.

- The Grey Guards' willingness to skirt the tenets of the Paladin code and adopt the nefarious tactics of their enemies causes others to mistrust and fear them and other Paladins in particular to view them as cowardly and lacking in honour. As such, Grey Guards receive a -4 penalty to Charisma.

Comments

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2018
    What an interesting concept! Thanks! But I can't seem to find up to how many times you can use stalk. Is it capped at 1/day and doesn't get improve further? If so, wouldn't that put them at a huge disadvantage since Paladins cannot perform stealth not to mention there's the -5 AC penalty as an after effect?
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    Illustair said:

What an interesting concept! Thanks! But I can't seem to find up to how many times you can use stalk. Is it capped at 1/day and doesn't get improve further? If so, wouldn't that put them at a huge disadvantage since Paladins cannot perform stealth not to mention there's the -5 AC penalty as an after effect?

Yes, you only get the 1 stalk per day.

You could always use other sources of invisibility (ring, potions, wizard) if you wish to backstab more often.