Skip to content

[Tool] Mod translations crowdsourcing system

Hi. I've posted this across a few forums already, but for the sake of completeness...

Here's a system which allows to crowdsource mod translations. The purpose is to reduce the related hassle (sending files back and forth, mistakes with file encodings, etc).

Basic workflow:
1) a modder registers their mod in the system (requires hosting on github or other VCS hosting)
2) translators sign up and translate mods that they are interested in.
The rest is handled automatically.

There are also various QoL features like glossary, automatic checks, change history, automatic translation helpers, etc.
It's not without some limitations and downsides, of course, but still, I believe it can be useful, maybe not to all projects, but at least to some.
Ascension is translated there, anyone interested can poke around and try it out. For details, see the forum.
Grammarsalad

Comments

• ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited December 2018
    If you ever wonder why big mods doesn't have translations at all (or outdated ones) it's because how painful and tedious translation process is. Now, it has been made much, much better with the help of 'weblate'. Using bgforge.net weblate you just have to register and start contributing, without worrying about files, @tra references number, working at the same lines as other people etc. This system also allows translators to send updates without any actions from mod maintainer. Finally, we can have instant updates for newly added strings when new mod version comes out without waiting months for translation updates. And modded can change tra references (@123) when he want and how he want and guess what? Translation files get's updated automatically :smiley:

In case any modder would like to enable such feature for his mods, feel free to ask. Just keep in mind that it's one-side integration: tra.bgforge.net => github.com so while *.tra files still gets filled with new translations, they can't be edited manually after you enable integration. It wasn't a problem for Ascension even when there was an 'external translation' from Italian team - they simply converted tra files to csv and imported them to tra.bgforge.net :smile:
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    ALIEN said:

If you ever wonder why big mods doesn't have translations at all (or outdated ones) it's because how painful and tedious translation process is. Now, it has been made much, much better with the help of 'weblate'. Using bgforge.net weblate you just have to register and start contributing, without worrying about files, @tra references number, working at the same lines as other people etc.

In case any modder would like to enable such feature for his mods, feel free to ask.

Hi @ALIEN

I would like to enable this feature for my mods. How would I do that exactly?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited December 2018
    @Grammarsalad
    You should start from this checklist: https://forum.bgforge.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26
    Since you mods doesn't have any translations yet, you probably will stop at point 8. You should pay attention to point 3. because I saw that you put everything into setup.tra file :wink:
    You mods probably don't use any of the "EE-only strings" from point 4, example of what I'm talking about: Faerûn
    when you are done, or have any problem, simply make request topic here: https://forum.bgforge.net/viewforum.php?f=9

First, you should try to do it with a rather simple mod. Then, when you gets familiar, you can try with bigger ones.
    Grammarsalad