Skip to content

So, a companion just suddenly left...

I am at the start of Chapter 5, having just flooded the mines. I've been exploring the remaining unexplored areas before continuing with the story, and Kegain just suddenly left. I've completed his quest to get to the caravan, so I've no idea why he left or how to get him back.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Did your rep go above 18?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • DoozerpindanDoozerpindan Member Posts: 32
    Maybe? I had done a quest just before he left.

I just checked. It's at 18 now, I gotta redo the quest cos I closed the game when he left as I thought it was a bug. Does the quest to go kill the worgs surrounding the lighthouse give a point in rep, and does Kegain leave if your rep gets too high then?
    ThacoBell
  • DoozerpindanDoozerpindan Member Posts: 32
    Oh, he's lawful evil XD

Well, I went and swapped him for Coran so that should help.
    JLee
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Maybe? I had done a quest just before he left.

I just checked. It's at 18 now, I gotta redo the quest cos I closed the game when he left as I thought it was a bug. Does the quest to go kill the worgs surrounding the lighthouse give a point in rep, and does Kegain leave if your rep gets too high then?

Yup, that's +1 rep.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellDragonspear
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    The other possibility is that you waited too long to complete what passes for his "quest" - i.e. you never actually took him to the map just north of Beregost to find the destroyed caravan. It's a map that's really easy to never visit again after you have to go *through* it to get to Beregost in the first place, especially if you bypass it every time from then on and never actually go back to the map.
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    Kagain hates loquacious beings. Stop babbling while you're playing. ;)
    DreadKhanRaduziel
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2019
    In the original game, evil characters didn't ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY leave when your reputation got too high: there was a chance of it, but it wasn't a certainty. I think there was a Charisma-based chance that they might decide to stay instead - I know I've had evil characters in a party with a 20 rep before.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @JLE I remember evil party members leaving immediately, but that's not a guarantee haha. It is possible to have certain evil party members in the party at 20 rep though. The way the game does the check, is if rep rises above 18, evil npcs get angry and leave. If the rep is at 20 already, the rep change doesn't happen, so the npc stays. Funnily enough, if rep drops from 20 to 19, evil npcs get angry and leave.
    StummvonBordwehr