Skip to content

Selective Use Any Item and Independent Spell Types

KenethKeneth Member Posts: 57
I don't know if any devs are still following this forum, but I figure I'll make a couple of requests on the off chance someone eventually sees them and feels they might be worthwhile.

I think the current implementation only flips a flag on a creature stat, but I'd really love to see an opcode that works like 302 (use any item), but it gives you the option to select an item type (or category). Use Any Item is a crazy ability and there have been so many times when I wished I could simply have a "use any weapon" or a "use any consumable" ability instead.

Secondly, it's always kinda irked me that the spell type of a SPL file is somehow inherently linked to the location where it's displayed. So, you can't have innate abilities whose spell type is "wizard" (rather than "innate") and consequently can't have it interact with any effects that affect wizard spells for example. I don't know where the problem lies, but this seems like something that could be "fixed".

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Keneth said:

I don't know if any devs are still following this forum, but I figure I'll make a couple of requests on the off chance someone eventually sees them and feels they might be worthwhile.

I think the current implementation only flips a flag on a creature stat, but I'd really love to see an opcode that works like 302 (use any item), but it gives you the option to select an item type (or category). Use Any Item is a crazy ability and there have been so many times when I wished I could simply have a "use any weapon" or a "use any consumable" ability instead.

Secondly, it's always kinda irked me that the spell type of a SPL file is somehow inherently linked to the location where it's displayed. So, you can't have innate abilities whose spell type is "wizard" (rather than "innate") and consequently can't have it interact with any effects that affect wizard spells for example. I don't know where the problem lies, but this seems like something that could be "fixed".

I'm a big fan of the first request.

A similarly targeted "use any spell" opcode would be cool, as well, especially if it worked with custom spell schools.

What I mean is an opcode that allowed a Character to use spells previously restricted from them, but only those of a particular school (or sec type: I'm not picky).
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    edited February 2019
    Keneth said:
    I don't know if any devs are still following this forum, but I figure I'll make a couple of requests on the off chance someone eventually sees them and feels they might be worthwhile. I think the current implementation only flips a flag on a creature stat, but I'd really love to see an opcode that works like 302 (use any item), but it gives you the option to select an item type (or category). Use Any Item is a crazy ability and there have been so many times when I wished I could simply have a "use any weapon" or a "use any consumable" ability instead. Secondly, it's always kinda irked me that the spell type of a SPL file is somehow inherently linked to the location where it's displayed. So, you can't have innate abilities whose spell type is "wizard" (rather than "innate") and consequently can't have it interact with any effects that affect wizard spells for example. I don't know where the problem lies, but this seems like something that could be "fixed".

Not sure how you view it but linking spells to items are charge abilities seems to curcumvent this under ther "cast spell" opcode. Granted, for multiplayer with random players unless you're hosting you won't be abkke t o use them but it's a more efficient way to make use of spells that avoid toggling spell location flags and all the unecessary work that comes with it.