Skip to content

BG1 - Here's what to do If you don't like your available party members.

PolymorpherPolymorpher Member Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Save your game if you have started any.

1. Do a NEW GAME
2. Create a character you would like to join your party.
3. Export it.
4. Load the game you want to continue or start a new one with your main desired character.
5. Import the additional character you exported.

X) Splitting pairs as BG1 is concerned works if i remember correctly by letting the unwanted one die and then dismissing him/her.

... Its always useful to export your characters once right after creation, and more occasionally if you see having the need for them.

KEEP IN MIND - The game experience is designed in this way, and going around it with what I suggest - while completely legitimate would rob you of some character interaction - social dynamics the way they were meant.

.... That or you can just cheat/edit to tweak/increase the abilities of your clumsy intended compatriots so you can keep their in-game roles.
Post edited by Polymorpher on

Comments

• ModernLifeModernLife Member Posts: 14
    I like the idea of this, but would it not be wise for a new player to do? Would I miss out on alot of story line and dialogue along the way?
  • PolymorpherPolymorpher Member Posts: 11
    Strongly optional. - I'll write your point in any way.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    We have Icewind Dale for these shenanigans.
    edited October 2012
    Planescape Torment had the party figured out with even a few chars. And yes IWD gave it all into your hands. But BG1 Kind of always feels like you don't have the party you want. So character personalities start conflicting with character usefulnesses. Most of the recruit-able folk have funny ability totals or distribution.

And I very much doubt, the dev team would just go around and give you creation/adjustment screens per char join. While tailoring wasn't prevalent back when BG1 was new, it certainly is huge today and having none - even for flavor if not for substance is a notable loss.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    There are really only two or three characters you can easily replace by simply rolling a better guy.

The list of NPCs with no special abilities whatsoever (and this is just for BG1: Jaheria gets a unique spell in BG2)

Imoen
    Ajantis
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Kivan
    Garrick
    Skie
    Xzar
    Montaron
    Shar-Teel

Notice that this list includes among some of the best NPCs in the game due to stats.

The only guy on that list that strikes me as particularly useless is Garrick. I'm also not big on Skie.

The only guy on that list that strikes me as particularly useless is Garrick. I'm also not big on Skie.

Skie is great, problem is she comes so late. 11 Str, 18 Dex, 15 Con compared to Imoen's 9 Str, 18 Dex, 16 Con. She gets a little less HP but a little more carry weight.
    Imoen can also be the second best wizard in the game behind Edwin. I don't really consider her a thief.

All Skie can do is be a mediocre thief who joins way too late and accompanied by one of the more bland NPCs in Eldoth.
    Case and point. All the bg1 recruit-ables are real funny when it comes to stats/abilities. Importing 1 custom tailored character isn't so bad an idea.
    edited October 2012

Imoen can also be the second best wizard in the game behind Edwin. I don't really consider her a thief.

All Skie can do is be a mediocre thief who joins way too late and accompanied by one of the more bland NPCs in Eldoth.

Fair enough.

Lolz, I always get Eldoth killed whenever I take her. 'Nuff said. I still don't see how she's mediocre ... at all. 18 Dex/15 Con is good especially for BG1.

Case and point. All the bg1 recruit-ables are real funny when it comes to stats/abilities.

Gives the game flavor. I used to hate it and I learned to love it. If "funny" stats gives someone issues beating the game, it's their time to stop sucking.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

X) Splitting pairs as BG1 is concerned works if i remember correctly by letting the unwanted one die and then dismissing him/her.

You can also leave the unwanted one of the pair in a house or upper floor of an inn and dismiss them while your PC and the rest of party are outside. That way, you can always go back for them if you want.

I always found it amusing to leave Xzar with the farmers in Nashkel so I could recruit Edwin and still keep Montaron. I can only imagine the conversations they must have had:
    Farmer: "Weather's been lousy, lately."
    Xzar: "Could we cease the incessant noise? 'Tis such a pain behind the eyes!"
    Farmer: "Sheeeep haven't been puttin' out lately."
    Xzar: (childlike voice) "Stop touching me!"
    Good times.

edited October 2012
    @Mortianna Ahaha great scenario. And holy hell, I mean Xzar and Monty are a good combo, but Edwin and Monty? Just awesome. I love how amazing Evil parties are in BG1 ... :3
    Quartz said:

Lolz, I always get Eldoth killed whenever I take her. 'Nuff said. I still don't see how she's mediocre ... at all. 18 Dex/15 Con is good especially for BG1.

I actually like Eldoth more than Skie. Skie is mediocre because Imoen is better in every way except carry capacity. By the time you can even recruit Skie, Imoen could potentially be at the level cap and actually have the thief stats you'd want. Unlike every other thief, Skie doesn't even have a unique trait. She's just sort of there. Coran beats her in Archery, Tiax beats her in terms of overall usefulness, Imoen beats her in raw stats, Safana gets a free charm person and only has 1 less HP per level, Montaron beats her in combat, Shar-Teel most definitely beats her in combat. Hell, I'd rather dump my Dex tome onto Branwen and dual her into thief because she's pretty competent at it.

If you could get Skie really early, then I can see her having a valid purpose. She's just in a bad spot and isn't good enough to really matter. And because all she is, is simply decent stats, it's really easy to roll a better thief than she is. When we're talking potentially recruiting your own unique custom guys, she's one of the first people to just fall off the radar.

And it's always personal opinion.
    edited October 2012
    I really liked your post, you had a lot of good reasons, until this:

When we're talking potentially recruiting your own unique custom guys, she's one of the first people to just fall off the radar.

Honestly? "When we're talking potentially recruiting your own unique custom guys," just about EVERYONE falls off the radar in BG1. Totally a moot point dude, sorry.
    Not really. I already listed all the units you can roll better than. EVERYONE else, even Eldoth, has advantages a randomly made NPC can't do.
    edited October 2012

Not really. I already listed all the units you can roll better than. EVERYONE else, even Eldoth, has advantages a randomly made NPC can't do.

Okay, then

Imoen
    Ajantis
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Kivan
    Garrick
    Skie
    Xzar
    Montaron
    Shar-Teel

all fall off the radar. :)

Okay, without being a dick; I totally see your point. I just heartily disagree with people going around saying I should make my own characters, or always go with all the very best characters. I do appreciate power-gaming, you know that; to a certain extent. When people go around pestering others about how bad the characters are (Polymorpher), it kind of gets annoying.

I find it rather intriguing that you're sort of having a "go with the best characters" attitude at the moment considering your NPC guide on your wiki. Seems very contrary.
    My attitude hasn't really changed. I'm just of the mind, if you can't be "great," at least be interesting. Faldorn, Tiax, Quayle, Eldoth, etc. Not necessarily great but still good because they can do things no one else can do.

I've never been a big fan of Post-Cloakwood NPCs, and am on the record multiple times around here I do not like Skie or Alora for being as redundant as they are. At least Tiax can go gauntlets of ogre power + DUHM for massive backstab shenanigans, plus Summon Ghast is pretty slick.

Also on the record that Garrick sucks. That one is argued a lot less than other characters.

I think you're just reading more into this than I am. Go read my first post in this thread again. :P I was actually arguing replacing NPCs for "poor stats" with guys you rolled yourself isn't really necessary. You and I just got a little off topic because I don't see a lot of value in Skie.
    edited October 2012
    DUHM? And yes, Summon Ghast is epic. So is Summon Dread Wolf.

Alora irks me because basically all she's got going for her is 19 Dexterity, great Saving Throws, and an amusing character. Which just plain isn't enough, especially, as you said, post-Cloakwood.
    Skie irks me because a LOT could've been done with her personality, being a dumb runaway rich teen and all they could've developed her, but instead they just turned her into a valley girl joke. Despite good stats, there's nothing at all pressing you to want her because of that.

True that. Yes I re-read it. Yes.
    DUHM = Draw Upon Holy Might.

It boosts your strength over 18/00 if you're wearing the gauntlets of ogre power first, and in BG1 strength modifiers still factor in to backstab damage. It can be pretty silly, the amount of damage you can do.